Guenevere (WIP)

Or just playing as king Arthur

But this game is ambitious enough as it is. Imagine how much extra material would be required to see Arthurā€™s POV in all seven books! Itā€™d be a separate series all on its own. And thatā€™s not even getting to the possible branches if we get to control him (and if we donā€™t then I donā€™t see the point of making it an IF game).

And as for a gender swapped versionā€¦itā€™s definitely interesting, I wonā€™t lie, but it also runs the risk of getting extremely confusing the more you look into it.

For example, in this supposed matriarchal world, would it be so necessary for Mordred to be hidden away since itā€™s now possible for F!Arthur to just play it off as M!Guenā€™s kid?
Would there even be a reason to tell M!Guen itā€™s not his kid?
Hell, would F!Arthur even be certain itā€™s not actually M!Guenā€™s kid? After all, many kids look like their aunts and uncles without any Lannister-esque explanations.

Would it even be possible or necessary for F!Mordred to marry who everyone assumes is their father just to gain legitimacy? In which case that would require a completely different reworked story for Mordred, and thatā€™s not even getting into the social structures of the world.

Is it a complete gender reversal where men are now second class citizens? If so, is it even necessary for the paternity to be assured? After all, if the woman is what matters, would it not be commonplace to just wave away and give false assurances? ā€œYes, of course my husband is the father, the baby just takes after me is all.ā€

Thereā€™s just a lot of unintended consequences of completely gender-flipping a society, and I donā€™t think it would be impossible but certainly headache inducing, especially for the Mordred subplot.

19 Likes

The game IS about Guenevere, the WOMAN. Thereā€™s lots of stories about Arthur or even Lancelot. In CoG there ARE games where you play as Arthur. For once, Iā€™m glad we have a great piece of fiction where the main role is a she. Tbh this is too big a project to add a gender swap option. And I donā€™t see the need :thinking:

39 Likes

While I understand the feeling of having a gender lock interactive story, and in other books I would agree, I think this one would be too hard to achieve. This is a game where depending on your gender, your life will change drastically. To have a male character the story would have to change completely, and this game is already complicated enough to code to add the option to play as male. If it wasnā€™t for that, I would be all over the option to play as a male.

God knows I havenā€™t play guns of infinity because is gender lock :laughing:

11 Likes

The Robin Hood game will be a better means of showing off the gender swap ideaā€¦ still wanna pull a Charlieā€™s Angels and have a male Robin with an all female Merry Women team (plus I assume female versions of the Sheriff, (Gal?) of Gisbourne and Queen Joan as enemies, maybe with Queen Ricarda the Lionessheart making an appearance). :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Is this the most viewed game here :open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

Re: Gender swap/Arthur POV

I agree that this doesnā€™t really suit the game as an add-on. Besides how difficult it would be to write everything from Arthurā€™s point of view, I also think that the fact that itā€™s from Guenā€™s is refreshing.

Two things drew me into this game:

1. The idea that Iā€™d be playing a woman in a medieval fantasy setting, in a way that doesnā€™t completely write off the limitations and struggles that would need to be endured

2. The fact that weā€™d be playing from the view of a character I hadnā€™t seen that much of in my limited experience with Arthurian legends

In my opinion, writing it differently would change the experience way too drastically to call it the same game at all.

16 Likes

I enjoy a gender locked Female game and if it becomes gender choice then it takes away one of the few GLF games from the site. And by few I mean is there any others because Iā€™d love to play them.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s Winter of the Bovine, by Samuel_H_Young, but you arenā€™t human youā€™re a cow

Maybe there are some WIPs, but completed games that are female-lockedā€¦ 0. Male-locked? I can think of 2 or 3. Maybe more but I donā€™t remember every CoG game right now.

So yeah let us have Guenevere.

2 Likes

The Guns of Infinity thread seem to have more views (and a lot more comments too)

Anyway about the gender lock, I donā€™t think this game will make sense if it was gender swapped. You play as a specific character (Guen) and the whole story is about her getting married to Arthur and becoming queen.
If you played as a man youā€™d have to play as Arthur himself and it would be a completely different game.

You could make all men like Lancelot, Arthur etc women and Guen a man but it will feel really weird. There was a game like that here called Pendragon Rising. If you decided to play as a woman instead of changing the story it made every man in the Arthurian legend a woman with just a changed name and they felt weird and out of character. They probably should have either gender-locked it to male only or made the female characters a priestess instead (it could actually be really interesting as there are a lot of games about warriors but no games where you play as a priestess)

7 Likes

You could make all men like Lancelot, Arthur etc women and Guen a man but it will feel really weird. There was a game like that here called Pendragon Rising. If you decided to play as a woman instead of changing the story it made every man in the Arthurian legend a woman with just a changed name and they felt weird and out of character.

I completely agree with this. I played the free demo version of Pendragon Rising as a female player character and something about it rang false to me. I think it had to do with the fact that all the female characters, rather than feeling like actual characters, came off as two-dimensional ā€œmen with breastsā€ stereotypes.

EDIT: Just to make sure this post is on-topic, Iā€™m currently replaying Guenevere as Ladylike Guen, and Iā€™m at the part at the beginning of Book II, Part 2 where the carriage is attacked and Guen decides to escape to the woods rather than participate in the fighting between the guards and the outlaws. Hereā€™s what it says after making that choice:

Quickly I cast a defensive spell on myself. It should help me move faster and avoid attacks.

One of the guards sees me and tries to stop me, but two outlaws attack him at once. Leaves and twigs crunch under my feet when I enter the trees. I havenā€™t gotten far when one of the outlaw archers jumps out of cover and tries to grab me.

I try to attack him with my sword, and he dodges. I doubt that I have the skill to beat him, so I keep running. My light magic protection spell helps me evade him.

When did my Light Magic/Leadership Guen, who only has one point in the Sword skill, get a sword? :question::question::question:

7 Likes

Sticking to Guen would be best. Way too many books/movies about Arthur and Lancelot. Nice to see a new POV here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

So you can have the stats to pass any stat check in book 2 if you recap the right way?

Theyā€™re intended toā€¦ they already have a few possible small effects here and there, and those should increase over time. That said, the more the game develops, the more it seems to rely on boolean variables (flags from past choices), which is exactly what CoG recommends against, and also why this game is going to take so long to write.

Sort of? Maybe more like they can not support you or not be willing to take risks for you. Theyā€™re not going to deliberately stab you in the back. Certainly they can choose to end a relationship with Guen.

She would not take well to that, unless maybe it was some kind of plan that she and Guen came up with together, but right now Iā€™m not sure what circumstances that would happen under (in the plot framework as planned).

I think right now itā€™s only available if you have Guenā€™s inner monologue establish her as a lesbian (in the first bedroom scene). Iā€™ll probably change that, and make an option to lie to Arthur about it, too.

Yeah, that is definitely on the list of possibilities. :slight_smile:

@ElvenQueen Love it! :smile: Thank you so much for sharing all of that!

Oh gosh, I vaguely remember being in the room while it was playing once, like maybe 15 years ago, and being more or less awake for parts of itā€¦ I remember the disturbing Uther/Ygraine scene, Patrick Stewart as Leodegrance :heart_decoration:, Merlinā€™s beady eyes, the hilariously awful dresses and wildly anachronistic plate mailā€¦ and thatā€™s about it, I think. tbh I donā€™t remember how Arthur was portrayed at all. I suppose if anything influenced me, it was the ridiculous level of anachronism, which I honestly love (Iā€™m a fan of the Heath Ledger Knightā€™s Tale movie and the BBC Robin Hood series because of the absurd anachronism in both).

re: genderswapping in this story, it did get talked about way back at the beginning of this monster-threadā€¦ As several people have pointed out, the more gender matters in your story/plot, the more you end up having to write a totally different story if you make it possible to change genders. Gender matters a lot in Guenevere, so changing genders of any major characters would result in a very different story, one that would take a lot of work to tell. As interesting as that might be, I would like to move on to stories where gender doesnā€™t matter as much, because honestly thatā€™s the sort of world Iā€™d prefer to live in, and Iā€™d like to invite other people to imagine what that sort of world would be like.

Hmmmmmmā€¦ I will have to go back in and check; itā€™s been a very long time since I looked at the code for that part. I think it may be set so that if Guen has even one point in Sword, she picks up a random sword (from a fallen guard or something? I think?) just as sort of a precaution, but she canā€™t really use it (as in the passage you quoted). But thanks for pointing that out ā€“ it is a little jarring, and could use some tinkering.

Yeah, at the beginning of each of the three big branches, you can set all your stats to 10000 if you really want. For now. Just for testing. It might end up breaking the game if you play past the end of the branches, though.

10 Likes

Oh so when it says ā€œare these stats okā€ if you redo it it keeps your changes but letā€™s you add more?

No, thatā€™s just the Book I fast-forward toolā€¦ the cheat/testing thing Iā€™m talking about isnā€™t available yet. It will appear at the beginning of each of the three big branches in Book II part 2, when that becomes available.

1 Like

Oohhhhhhhh okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

It sets the tone with Arthur during his first battle, right after he gets Excalibur. The one knight who recognized him as King is having his castle besieged, so Arthur attacks to save him. He confronts and defeats the leader of the rebel knights, and demands his fealty. The knight refuses, since Arthur is still a squire, so Arthur hands him Excalibur and tells the knight to knight him, and kneels down (theyā€™re both in the middle of the moat, too). The knight is so overcome that he does it, and immediately swears fealty.

Thatā€™s my Arthur.

5 Likes

@ElvenQueen Love it! :smile: Thank you so much for sharing all of that!

Youā€™re very welcome! :grin: I have plans to create five more Guens, so you havenā€™t seen the last of me sharing stats and recaps.

2 Likes