Guenevere (WIP)

Yeah I try to keep that in mind whenever I talk to him. His adorableness makes it a little easier to deal with.

1 Like

I love Morgana but in sibling way and she definitely deserves more than what she gets. I really hope that sheā€™s okay in the next book and hopefully Guen brings an heir.

1 Like

I like the idea of blackmailing the evil guy Count Grimald? (I also canā€™t spell names sorry) to help us and perhaps intervening in other lords/ ladyā€™s affairs to gain power, like arresting/ interfering with Beatrice or the Earl guy.
And if we start a civil war in France

Also, I mightā€™ve simply skipped some text but when thereā€™s the whole doppelganger stuff I chose to grab the carrot Merlin got me, but it allows me later on to make the choice of grabbing my sword and attacking the guard.

And on the part where you try to go to France and interfere in political matters; if you were to destabilise the country would you be able to conquer/ gain land from France? As if you canā€™t I canā€™t seem why itā€™d be chosen as itā€™d mean less helpfulness (compared to rescuing Morgana or going the Mihaelsmount and all the other stuff) and no trade and stuff Most likely Iā€™ll support Radagund.

@jeantown Iā€™m glad it was interesting for you. :grin:

Well, Ditzy Guen got plenty of points for being lazy and irresponsible and promiscuous and mooching off people for gifts and tokens of affection. Then thereā€™s her tendency to tell people (like Arthur) what they want to hearā€¦even if itā€™s not strictly speaking true. And as for guilt and remorseā€¦thinking about it, I donā€™t think Ditzy Guen has ever felt guilty about anything. Sheā€™ll just laugh it off or say it was somebody elseā€™s fault. All her emotions are pretty shallow, actually. Her ā€œangerā€ is more like irritation that is gotten over within minutes (especially quickly if sheā€™s given an expensive gift to ease her pain :laughing:). Also, in the Guencaps when Iā€™m writing from her perspective, Ditzy Guen goes on and on about how she loves Arthur and Lancelot. But like with her dozen boyfriends before she married Arthur, sheā€™d discard either or both in a second if she had to for a better deal.

Another surprise for me too. :smile: But Skanky Guen also racked up points by being lazy, irresponsible, promiscuous, and always trying to get her lovers to give her expensive gifts. Sheā€™s also another one who thinks sheā€™s the greatest, prettiest thing sinceā€¦um, shining armor? :smile: And after having sex with Lancelot less than 24 hours after explicitly promising Morgana she would never touch himā€¦I donā€™t think she can exactly say no to any questions about dishonesty or deceitfulness. She felt zero guilt about what she did too.

I donā€™t think Skanky Guen will ever be remorseful about banging Lancelot in the conventional empathetic way, even after Morgana finds outā€¦but boy will she ever be sorry that Morgana is so upset with her about it. Skanky Guen can care about peopleā€¦itā€™s rare, but it happened with Morgana. But that doesnā€™t mean she can empathize with Morganaā€™s feelings or even totally understand why what she did was so bad, even if she cares about her.

And now I have to see if I can get this across while writing from the perspective of these characters who, are not only living in an era before psychopathy or sociopathy was even a thing people knew about, but also, particularly in the case of Ditzy Guen, are not exactly the most self-aware characters out there. :sweat_smile:

Though scoring in the 20ā€™s can also be a sign of another disorder. Antisocial Guen (25) would today be considered narcissistic, and Magical Guen (22) would probably be diagnosed as schizoid.

@Pace675 Actually, I just looked at the test in the gameā€™s code, saw which answers added points and which didnā€™t, and tallied the points up myself to avoid that problem with the presets. :smile:

3 Likes

Long time lurker. First time poster :stuck_out_tongue: and very late to the party. Spoiler-y ish question under and am sorry if this has been asked before

[details=Summary]But is there a possibility of Guen abdicating? Idk if this has been asked yet but can Guen essentially nope out in the later books?

And if she has a child with Arthur, does the child ever react to the (possible) knowledge that their mother may not be in love with Arthur, but is duty bound to the throne (thus him)? And complication of feels when their uncle/mentor figure Lance is the person their mother loves (again, possibly)

Or if/when the child finds out theyā€™re Lanceā€™s bastard? What then? To what extent can the player influence the kidā€™s reaction?[/details]

4 Likes

What would happen when they found out Morgana is their stepmother? :thinking:

Another thing to consider with the ROā€™s is the gender-lock-- some male players might ā€˜make the mostā€™ out of the situation and romance the female choice, (as I canā€™t really see myself wanting to be anything more than friends with Lance and Arthur, really.)
And right now, thereā€™s only one, so we have a supply and demand issue which favours Morgana.
With the addition of another female RO I think the preference for the other characters will be more split, or at least with a RO who changes gender based upon the MCā€™s interest (although this would only most likely work with a rather minor character who interacts with the MC more and other characters lessā€¦)

1 Like

This sounds so interesting? Do you have a link to the quiz/site you went to?

(Or is it buried somewhere in above posts, nuuuu Iā€™m too lazy to look)

1 Like

I believe itā€™s from another WiP called ā€œMonstersā€ (at least thatā€™s what I used to test my own Guen). Hereā€™s the link for it: Monsters(WIP)- updated 04/27/17 -Link is updated

At a point in the story you take a test that will give you a score based on your choices, though I believe buggygirl used the gameā€™s code (canā€™t help you there as I donā€™t have it) to evaluate her Guens. Highly recommend that WiP btw; one of my favorites.

2 Likes

I love how most of the Jean monthly progress reports are basically ā€˜a lot of things happening in my life etc but I managed to write 18273718237 words so weā€™re all good fam stay strongā€™. :smile: @jeantown A truly inspirational INTJ.

28 Likes

@Mim As @Ylva said, itā€™s from the WIP Monsters. :smile: The author based it on a real test called Hareā€™s Psychopathy Checklist.

Again, Ylvaā€™s right. The test section of the code is kind of long and I donā€™t want to get too off-topic, so Iā€™ll PM you with it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a little offtopic warning - if youā€™re going to play Monsters, be sure to read disclaimer. The game isā€¦ disturbing :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

There are definitely a lot of dark themes in that one, most are biblical references I believe.

Thank you. :slight_smile: I have no doubt I will be spending that day, and many after it, correcting 1000000 continuity errors as peopleā€™s comments come in, but I will be doing it very happily.

I do hope to make it so that even negative outcomes are just another part of the story, and might still lead to interesting results or scenes you might not get otherwise.

@SoleWanderer Thank you thank you thank you for your kind words ā€“ and for making a forum account; welcome! :smile: Iā€™m very happy that youā€™re enjoying the game and the characters, and I hope youā€™ll like the rest of part 2 when itā€™s ready!

This is very true ā€“ he became king when he was 13, so he missed out on a lot of ā€œnormalā€ development.[quote=ā€œNJG, post:8466, topic:1996ā€]
Is it possible for the Guen (or at least, an intelligent Guen) to kill or order the execution of the wedding assassin immediately on the grounds of ā€œthe assassin is too dangerous a threat to be left aliveā€ or some such? Or poison the prisonerā€™s food?
[/quote]
Well, in plot terms, if the assassin were killed immediately, how else would we find out that the Romano-Saxons are going to attack (before itā€™s too late)?[quote=ā€œNJG, post:8466, topic:1996ā€]
Also, does Guen have the power to order the execution of, say, prisoners of the kingdom?
[/quote]
No, she doesnā€™t. Sheā€™s just the consort.[quote=ā€œNJG, post:8466, topic:1996ā€]
Lastly, aside from the ā€œsheep for soldiersā€ trading agreement, what are other goods/services which Britain can trade with Frankmarch?
[/quote]
If it becomes relevant to the plot, Iā€™ll let you know. Until then, feel free to headcanon anything you like. :slight_smile:

You will definitely be able to do that, if Guen can get her hands on certain items.[quote=ā€œfairlyfairfighter, post:8470, topic:1996ā€]
And if we start a civil war in France
[/quote]
And that, too. :slight_smile:

Yikes; added to the possible bug list. Thanks for letting me know. Do you remember if you stayed in the bedroom or went out to the courtyard?[quote=ā€œfairlyfairfighter, post:8470, topic:1996ā€]
if you were to destabilise the country would you be able to conquer/ gain land from France?
[/quote]
Not as things stand. Youā€™re absolutely right; there are more immediate benefits to either Grimald or Radagund being a clear winner and ally. The only real advantage to starting the civil war is that Frankmarch will just be completely out of your hair for a while.

@buggygirl11 Okay, yeah, I can see how Ditzy Guen may be lacking in empathy/compassion. :slight_smile:[quote=ā€œbuggygirl11, post:8471, topic:1996ā€]
And now I have to see if I can get this across while writing from the perspective of these characters who, are not only living in an era before psychopathy or sociopathy was even a thing people knew about,
[/quote]
Tell me about it! The number of times I have typed the word ā€œegoā€ or ā€œegotisticalā€ (mainly in ref to Lancelot) and then backtracked, reminding myself that the Guenverse is pre-Freud and doesnā€™t have a concept of ego/superego/idā€¦ that and referring to archers as ā€œfiringā€ arrows when you donā€™t fire a projectile in a world without gunsā€¦ :confounded:

@squarelyblue Thanks for delurking! :smile: Yes, Guen can choose to step down at the end of the series, leaving someone else in charge. If she has a child with Arthur, said child may indeed be upset on finding out that Guen really loves Lancelot (if G does love L) ā€“ though Iā€™m basing that statement on what I have planned for the childā€™s personality rather than any currently-planned plot moment. As for a child of Lancelot finding out that L is their father ā€“ Iā€™ve had a plan for that particular revelation for literally years now, and I just hope itā€™s not a darling I have to kill, because I really want to be able to include it. :slight_smile:

@Ylva You mean if Guen marries Morgana? I donā€™t think either of the two possible children will hate Morgana, though of course they might be sad to see Arthur deposed, so I guess in both cases their feelings will be complicated.

Thatā€™s probably true, and I very much hope I can add another female RO (or more than one) someday.

This is my favorite post on the forum ever. :heart: :heart:

26 Likes

I think vainglory would be a perfect word in that caseā€¦and it has the advantage of being really old-school.

12 Likes

How many stats should the player be able to ā€˜useā€™ (I think thereā€™s a word but I mean train enough to pass the checks) because I was thinking if you wanted you could add a scene that forces you to rely on multiple stats?
It just seems like right now you can have 1 main stat and 1 secondary. And since the game (I think?) will be pretty long, what will the maximum stats be?
And will there be any death options? Iā€™m not saying I dislike the fact 1 choice canā€™t kill you as of right now, since I can focus more on characters than stats (although I do wanna keep both bodyguards alive!) but was wondering if we can die/ be arrested and Lance/ Arthur having to pay a ransom.

1 Like

There are a couple scenes in book 2A that rely on multiple stats. IIRC, during the fight in the castle with Meligaunt you need to pass checks on two skills in order to wound him, and later on the ship when planning your escape some of the options rely on two skills.

1 Like

I must say I absolutely love this game and the discussion surrounding it. Itā€™s a treat, and lets us have a bunch of talks about relationships, characterization, and almost everything under the sun.
Just mostly lurking in this topic Iā€™ve learned a crazy amount.
So thanks to everybody here, especially jeantown, for getting the snowball of awesomeness going.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how are gonna handle Galahad?