Guenevere (WIP)

Huh… I thought I made it clear that Arthur and Lance were transformed into dogs. Y’know the’re happy but aren’t afraid to show their dark side.

Yeah that’s what I was going for. Gwen being a stepmom mom and morgana being a stepmom. And being happy of course.

Oh no, that was made pretty clear. I just find it intriguing how Guen and Morgana would be able to love each other so deeply and then do something like that. That isn’t just a dark side, that is next level dark side if you think about it.

But it is a hypothetical example, after all.

1 Like

Honestly I just thought it’d be hilarious.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Soo weird. Ah, so that’s how. I’d read somewhere that Gwen dreamt about Mordred but I wasn’t sure. Yeah, weird right? And I wasn’t sure about Morgana liking women, since I’ve never romanced her.

In part 6 when Guenevere is accused of infidelity, will that be a chance for years of secrets to come out? What about a chance to make someone look like the bad person?

What I mean by that is: (1.) When Guenevere is accused of infidelity, can she say she has never been unfaithful, however, she has thought about it because of the fact that her husband does not trust, know, or take her seriously enough? (2.) Maybe she could say, she never had an affair, but she suspects her husband is having one due to his behavior of not always being there? (3.) Or, if she doesn’t like Morgana or Lancelot she could say she believes one or both of them are persuading Arthur to get rid of her?

Also, if I may ask, is Guenevere going to be accused of infidelity with someone she knows or a complete stranger? Will the accuser say Guen has had multiple affairs or just one?

4 Likes

I would assume that it might depend on what choices Guen has made by then and whether or not she has acted on them. My Guen’s pretty faithful to Arthur barring some confusion about the spell surrounding Lance, so if anyone is likely to be the focus of such an accusation in my case it will likely be him.

I assume she’ll be accused of sleeping with Lancelot regardless of whether or not she did. It’s too classic not to use it.

You’ll probably be able to get out of it if there’s no proof and Arthur trusts you enough. It’s hard to know what Jean has planned that far in advance but I could see a manipulative, lying, leadership Guen being able to turn the trial around on her accuser or pin blame on someone she hates.

3 Likes

To be honest, after all the fucking my Guen’s done, I’ll never forgive Arthur if he doesn’t :innocent:

1 Like

Anytime I check your blog and I see how much words you have done and have to do for the rest of Book 2 I see just what a real trooper you are for sticking to it, madame. :slight_smile: It definitely makes my own Civil War thingie seem tiny in contrast! :grin: But congrats for finishing Camelot anyway (bug testing aside)!

2 Likes

Hi! I just finished reading through Guenevere (pretty much in a couple of hours, straight – I was already planning to stay up late to catch a Mystic Messenger chat, but it seems I would’ve ended up staying up to read your story anyway, haha!) and since you’ve stated you wanted feedback, well, I couldn’t help myself from writing up my impressions and giving it! :slight_smile:

In short: I really really enjoyed it! It’s exactly the sort of game I love to read with Choice Script – the type of game where the focus isn’t so much on changing the plot or winning the game, but playing a character, and getting to really influence who they are and how they act in the world. I’d have to play it once or twice more to really see the possibilities, but I highly enjoyed my first playthrough, and really did feel that I was able to make my version of Guen shine through!

Also: I’m so so so pleased about how you did the sexuality/romance stuff!! Even when I’m able to play myself as bi in these kinds of games, I still have to pretty much ignore the part of me that’s a-spectrum, because in the rare cases that’s even possible it usually only allows for aro/ace people, and I like reading romances too much to totally shut that out for my characters :PP I was especially pleased how it went with Arthur and the wedding night: when I first looked at all my choices, I was sure that ‘I’m romantically interested in people of any gender, but not really interested in sex, but I’d be willing to do it to whatever minimum extent necessary to produce an heir, but not RIGHT NOW with a guy I just met’ would be way too complicated but the game actually let me play it that way!! So I’m really pleased! :smiley: AND the fact that you haven’t limited the queer characters just to who is necessary by plot to be queer!! Ahh that’s one of my favourite things, writers who actually do consider the sexuality of each character rather than just assuming all but one or two are straight! :sunny:

As for my Guen in particular… whooh, I tried something I thought would be long, but it really did end up becoming long!! I got super super attached to my Guen: I actually feel weird about even starting over and playing a different kind of Guen, this present one just feels too Right to me!! So haha I’ll post her stats here, but I think I’ll just link here to the full description so you guys don’t get spammed;;;

TRUST:
Arthur: 31
Lancelot: 20
Morgana: 23
SKILLS:
Sword: 0
Leadership: 25
Light Magic: 30
Dark Magic: 1
Brave: 5
Stubborn: 1
Convivial: 0
Intelligent: 11
Responsible: 11

(Not really sure where that SINGLE point of dark magic came from, lol.)

Anyway I’m really excited to see how things are going to play out! It’s funny, but when I was playing the game I was so attached to Guen that it made me really sad to think that things might go badly for her… but man, now I can’t stop thinking about the story possibilities, lmao. Like the treason thing: hoo boy, I can see her decision to take both her AND Lance to Frankenmarch going against her there, as well as her general tendency to REALLY try to protect all life, even at minor detriment to her kingdom. So now I can’t help but imagine how she’d deal with that, considering how hard she’s tried to be a model queen that could inspire hope in her people: struggling to maintain her queenly demeanor even though all she wants to do is run away, trying so hard to stay true to her principles and remain Good and always give to the more unfortunate even as she’s denied any kind of thanks – all the while clinging almost obsessively to the idea in her head of a Good Queen, like Sara in A Little Princess… Man!! It sounds so tragic! And yet so right!!! Lol and oh yeah, I was feeling really unsure when I had my Guen romance Morgana, since she really does love Arthur as well and wants to be properly loyal to him, so I’m really glad that some kind of polyamory should be possible here! (Even if it’s going to make the whole Mordred thing even MORE complicated, oh my god…) …even if I was ALMOST disappointed, since afterwards I couldn’t help thinking about what if Arthur just couldn’t be okay with it and Guen broke up with Morgana and tried to get over her and that was part of the reason for Morgana’s Evil(?) Descent… And oh, that’d be extra tragic given Lancelot as well and how that’s fallen apart at this point as well – the group of four friends, torn apart… haha, for all that I play Guen as very kind I guess I’m a little bit of a sucker for tragedy? :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah, and the whole thing about Arthur maybe becoming more cynical!! I have a feeling I’m heading for that since nobody’s going to meet with him (Guen reaaaally wanted to be able to send Lance, but dealing with Frankenmarch is just so important, she can’t risk screwing up because she doesn’t speak the language…) (tho I feel bad for Morgana in this – but internal priorities aside, Guen trusts her ability to make it out of this situation well more than Arthur’s, lmao), but I’ll definitely be having Guen speak with him after and try to make reconsider those views! Because if there’s one thing about my Guen, deep in her heart, it’s that she genuinely, with all of her mind, heart, and soul, believes that being good to fellow people, and trying to make the world a better place, is the right thing to do. And she will choose it, every time, without fail: no matter how much she struggles, no matter how scared or furious or upset she feels, she will ALWAYS choose to do good.

Ugh ANYWAY I really really love it so far and I’m super excited to see what happens in the future! If nothing else, I’m definitely going to have to get in on that Arthur/Guen/Lance OT3 I read about above (even if this Guen doesn’t feel that way, I just really want Lance to have it all at least in one universe!!), not to mention the Bretta romance (as soon as I saw mention of female guards my bi ass was like ‘!!! Date???’ hahaha), and I’ll def have to do an aro Guen as well, and that’s not even getting into all the different personality types I could play… even if my first Guen will always be the closest to my heart <3

Anyway sorry for the super long post, I wrote a bunch up and then read through half of this forum thread which only gave me even more to say;; But yeah, super excited to keep up with this!! :sparkles:

5 Likes

Is it possible to go through the entirety of this game (when it’s finished) without Guen ever having a child?

So, it’s been a long time but I’m pretty sure Jean has said in the past that Guen having a child is not required.

Magic will apparently be necessary for her to conceive, so you can just skip that and carry on with whatever your Guen wants to do.

1 Like

Yeah she says in the FAQ that it’s not essential to have a child with Arthur or Lance to play the game, if Guen chooses not to then by Book IV Arthur will have chosen Gawain to be his heir instead. But you can only have a child if you wish one during Book III via magic (whether that’s with Arthur or Lance).

3 Likes

Still mourning that magic can’t let me get pregnant by Morgana :cry: but I guess you can’t have everything

4 Likes

I know :’( :’( the cruelty, the horror the… That’s all I’ve got.

1 Like

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven’t been around much; my usual October pileup of work is even worse than normal this year. So many new posts… I’ll try to respond as much as I can, but please let me know if I miss any questions that didn’t get answered.

Thanks; me too! I still have a lot of cleanup to do, but I enjoy editing/bughunting more than writing long casualty counts, so the really hard work is over.

I wish there was, short of me writing it into the game… like I could make it so you get a list at the very end or something… I might do that someday, but right now all of the hidden stats are probational; I don’t know which ones I’ll actually use and which ones I won’t.

Indeed. :smile:

Sadly, probably not… but I guess one never knows… (it would have to be a difficult spell requiring rare components, or people would want their Guens to shapeshift all the time).

Thanks for those! I fixed them locally, so they’ll be corrected in the next update.

@DancingInTheRain279 Thank you so much for playing and for posting! I’m very glad you like the game. Welcome to the thread! :smile:

Oh, he definitely has his fans. :slight_smile: Popularity order seems to be Morgana - Arthur - Lancelot, which is about what I expected.

Your Guen has high expectations of poor bewildered Arthur. :stuck_out_tongue:

yeeeeeeeah that is not happening in canon but bring on the fanfic. :grin: I will say that Merlin can change his shape so he doesn’t have to appear as an old man; he just chooses to because he feels it best reflects his role and current sense of self.

I think this got answered, but you can always check out the FAQ on my blog.

All correct. :slight_smile:

She does for the most part, though every now and then she finds herself at least a little bit attracted to a man… but not Merlin. :slight_smile: At least, not in canon.

To be honest, not as much as I had hoped/intended, but that’s one of the things I want to work on as I edit. The main advantage Leadership!Guen gets is that she has a much easier time raising morale. The higher the morale, the higher the Frankish casualty count per round. But I would like to throw in at least one clever strategy that only Leadership!Guen can use. I have a few ideas… In any case, Leadership will give automatic advantages whether the reader themself is tactically-minded or not (though truly dumb choices can still lead to failure).

It won’t be randomized. I don’t want people to have to go back and replay a bunch of times just to get the father they want. (Though I may add an option to randomize, if that’s what the reader wants.) Guen will know, for sure. As for how… the baby will be born on Avalon. Magic… magic, everywhere… :slight_smile:

YES. :slight_smile: At that point, pretty much anything that could be used to defame Arthur and his family will hit the fan (in the current plan, anyway). I do indeed hope to make it possible for Guen to turn things around and make other people look bad, while rescuing and perhaps even elevating her own reputation.

I don’t think there will be anything quite that specific, since I can’t anticipate every possible thing that the reader might want to say, but there should be some options to turn things against Arthur, yes.

She will always be accused of having an affair with Lancelot, whether she actually is/did or not. It’s basically Arthurian canon, and I like the idea of different Guens dealing with it in different ways, with very different possible degrees of truth behind the accusation. (Imagine a Guen who has always hated Lancelot now being accused of having an affair with him… )

Depends on what sort of evidence the accuser has found. :slight_smile:

Thank you! :blush: I do wish I hadn’t made things so complicated for myself, but I hope the end product will be worth the wait for all of us. (And even if it’s not, things should speed up once I finish part 2, so we can move on to other stuff, like Mordred, and Lancelot’s ex, and silliness in the enchanted forest, and a bunch of other things I can’t wait to write.)

@teawithcarina Oh, thank you so much for all of this!!! :grinning: I loved reading it; you really made my day and gave my lots of motivation to write as much as I can this weekend!

That’s a lovely way of putting it… I am trying to make it so there isn’t really winning or losing (although Guen absolutely can fail to achieve her goals), but rather just a lot of different, equally interesting outcomes.

Thanks! I just hope I can track and be consistent with that level of complexity going forward. Obviously I think/hope I can, but I don’t think anyone’s done it before, so it’s going to be an interesting challenge.

I loved reading the description of your Guen, and how much potential she has to develop in a few different directions as the plot moves forward.

A certain amount of tragedy is going to be inevitable, even for Guens who try to prevent it (because there wouldn’t be much story otherwise!), so it will be interesting to see how yours deals with it. :slight_smile:

Sounds like your Guen will be able to keep Arthur from getting too dark. Though I wonder if she’ll eventually regret not going to help him, or accept that there was no other choice but wish things could have been different? (Honestly I think her story will be more interesting because she doesn’t go to help him; it adds some great tension!)

I’m dying to get there myself! :slight_smile: I hope you’ll enjoy what’s to come, whenever I manage to get things updated (sigh), and thank you again for all of your thoughts!

Okay, now back to fixing up this monstrosity of a Camelot battle…

12 Likes

@Jeantown

If it’s not too spoilery: will there be a part wherein we get to select what to do with the surrendering enemy soldiers?

“Your Majesty! The remnants of the Frank army are surrendering! What do we do?”

“Simple: disarm them, gather them somewhere far from here, then execute them. As for their weapons, equipment and personal effects: if the army can use them, then the army will have it; as to the unusable, we’ll sell them, and the proceeds will go to the kingdom’s budget.”

Also, if victory is ours during the battle, could we make some sort of campaign medal for the Battle of Camelot?

“As Queen of Britain, I decree that all soldiers who participated in the Battle of Camelot will be awarded the “Camelot Battle Medal.” I will oversee the design, production and distribution of the medal.”

I now have a sudden urge to make Leadership the main skill of my Guen…:smiling_imp:

I’VE BEEN BLESSED :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

5 Likes

Something like this?

[Mordred and Agravain burst into Camelot’s throne room]

Agravain: [points dramatically] Queen Guenevere, thou standeth accused of committing adultery on Arthur thy King with Lacelot du Lac!

Guen: [spit take] WHAT?! You… you think I would… with him?!

Lancelot: [hides behind Arthur]

Arthur: [nervously] Guen, sweetie… deep breaths… Sir Agravain, surely there’s a reasonable explanation? [looks at Agravain and Mordred desperately] Please let there be a reasonable explanation… Please let there there be a reasonable explanation…

Agravain: Milord, Sir Mordred and I have irrefutable evidence that-

Guen: Mordred! [points accusingly] I changed your diapers and this how you repay me, you ungrateful brat?! Just wait until I tell your mother!

Arthur: Uh… do you have any evidence?

Guen: [cracks knuckles]

Agravain: Mordred, back me up here… [turns to see Mordred has disappeared]

Guen: [menacingly] Now… what was that you were saying about adultery?

8 Likes