Guenevere (WIP)

Hey sorry if this has already been answered, but what is patriarchy like in the Guenverse? If she were to have a daughter with Arthur, would her daughter have a secured right to the throne? If, for example, Guen had a son after having a daughter, would the throne go to her son because he is a male heir?

Also can Guen have children AND Lance at the same time? Sorry if these questions have already been asked! I’m actually looking really forward to Guen(s) becoming a mom.

2 Likes

‘Children’ will not be an option. Guen will be able to have one child during the game (with either Arthur or Lancelot).

3 Likes

Finally played through this, and I really like it. There’s a lot of choice and debt, and at least my Guen felt very organic and natural. Going to be interesting to do it with a different one.

2 Likes

Hi all, sorry again for being kind of slow with responses. It’s been another week of overwhelming work stuff and various minor disasters.

re: @Lys’s commission, all I can say is that I never would have thought that anything I wrote would ever lead to THAT. :stuck_out_tongue: Also when she first described it to me, I don’t think she mentioned (or I forgot) that Morgana would be in it, so that was a twist from what I was expecting. :smile:

Does it specifically mention council sessions? The only thing I can think of right now is that if Guen complains about being left out of things in part 1, the first scene in part two will mention that Arthur has been including her more.

@P_Tigras is absolutely correct. Guen is technically just a queen-consort, and can’t formally inherit the throne. She has as much power as Arthur gives her, until/unless she births a Pendragon heir.

Exactly.

That’s more or less sort of what will be possible at the end of the series, whether Guen has a child or not.

@Achylis Hooray for Noxious Guen! Pretty sure she is the only Guen to have that title. :smile: I look forward to hearing how she develops.

The oldest child inherits the throne, regardless of gender. (Perhaps worth noting that if Guen has a child. Mordred will be older…)

Exactly as @OtherGrimm (who is Always Right) says. There’s a bit more about Guen having a child in the FAQ on my blog.

@malinryden Glad you liked it! :smile: Thanks for your post. Let me know if you have any suggestions for making other Guen playthroughs feel just as organic.

13 Likes

But wouldn’t Mordred be considered a bastard? I assumed he wouldn’t be able to inherit unless his half sibling(s) were dead?

Maybe that’s the point. Dun dun DUN! :stuck_out_tongue:

Besides, it’s also possible that Guen’s child won’t be Arthur’s, giving Mordred a potentially more valid claim…

2 Likes

Guen and a childless Arthur could lie about that much, though :stuck_out_tongue:

If Guen isn’t the mom and that’s obvious, then calling the kid a no name bastard will have much more of an effect than calling the child Arthur and Guen claim is theirs a bastard.

Well, yes, they’re going to lie about it. The child will be presented as Arthur’s regardless.

But, for some people, royal bloodlines are more important than anything. When the fecal matter strikes the rotating ceiling device, and the parentage of Guen’s child is in question, it will cause people to doubt them. Especially considering Mordred will likely be able to prove his Pendragon lineage by that point.

5 Likes

This works if Arthur is dead. But if he isn’t, then technically, Guen has power since she is his wife. As much power as the Queen would formally have. I say formally, since who knows how much she can influence the King. As you have said, lots of queen-consorts have ruled through their husbands.

I was asking the question with the situation that Arthur was still alive and well. So… I’m sort of thinking that following the orders of the queen would be out of respect and courtesy then?

Who seduced her and who raped her? Was Lancelot evil? Was Arthur?

But Morgana and Arthur are not married. Not to mention Mordred being a product of incest… Age aside, won’t Mordred be considered a bastard?

That is, if Gwen is horribly obvious about having an affair with Lancelot. Or if certain people spread the rumor, you know, like Agravain and Mordred? wink wink

As far as i know no one will question our child’s parentage until the absence of Pendragon magic abilities is made apparent.

He will but he still has the Pendragon blood so he still has pretty strong claim to the throne, especially if there is no legitimate heir.

Lancelot the nymphomaniac knight. Arthur is ok, in Spanish legend, he was ruthless in their later years, but the Grail redeemed him. Also If Guen baby is not Pendragon blood Mordred wins. @jeantown has said that there is a way everyone would know who has that blood or not so no need of gossip from Mordred.

1 Like

@jeantown :flushed: I, um, checked again and realized I must have mixed up my Guen playthroughs. Oops? (I am SO SORRY if that took forever to check. I swear I’ll be more careful next time.)

@Personaddict07 [quote=“Personaddict07, post:6840, topic:1996”]
But Morgana and Arthur are not married. Not to mention Mordred being a product of incest… Age aside, won’t Mordred be considered a bastard?
[/quote]

Well, yes, that means a legitimate child of Arthur and Guen would have a better claim. But if there is no child, or if that child is proven a bastard (as I understand it, if the child doesn’t have the Pendragon magic, it will eventually be obvious)…:smiling_imp:

(Of course, as I understand it, Arthur will definitely NOT want Mordred as his heir, and in these situations, will be doing everything he can to get Gawain to succeed instead.)

Bastards CAN inherit in the Guenverse, if there’s nobody else…Arthur himself was a bastard, and he managed to inherit (though not without difficulty).

What’s MOST important is the Pendragon bloodline and its magic. And Mordred will have Pendragon magic. So in terms of inheritance rights, he would trump a Lancelot/Guen bastard (no matter how much Arthur and Guen try to cover it up, the magic will eventually NOT reveal itself).

And of course, if there is a legitimate heir, Mordred could always pull a Richard III and just try to take the throne anyway. :imp:

2 Likes

This has probably been asked before but, silly me, I don’t know:

With all this tosh, could Guen/Mordred become a thing down the line? (Come onnnn sexy elder woman) But also, for manipulative Guen wise. Dum dum dummmmm

Mordred has a thing for mature women, he would be a romantic option in last chunk of storyline. It is my personal choice as ro. You could see him in your dreams if you choose certain path in first game.

Is there any possibility of Guen being able to influence Mordred as he grows up? Particularly if she’s involved with Morgana.

He will indeed, but he’ll still be able to say he’s the king’s oldest (or only) child. And if Guen’s child can’t prove Pendragon blood… :fearful: @buggygirl11 has pretty much got it right.

Yes. People follow Guen’s orders insofar as they don’t conflict with Arthur’s. Notice that Guen has no choice about being assigned Maris and Bretta as bodyguards, and that only a Guen with high leadership can convince Maris to lie to Arthur about killing Hrothulf.

@buggygirl11 :slight_smile: No problem; I’m not working on the earlier parts right now anyway, just throwing everything I’ve got into moving forward with the second half of 2.

Yep. As @poison_mara and the FAQ say. :slight_smile:

She’ll be able to interact with him during his childhood (perhaps more if she’s involved with Morgana), but she won’t be able to have a significant impact on his personality or choices. He’s Mordred. :slight_smile: But Guen will be able to influence her own child’s development (at least, I want her to be able to).

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, do you know if the gender of the child is locked, or is it up to random chance? Oo, or if some of your actions dictate the likelihood of one gender or the other? This all sounds extremely interesting.