Guenevere (WIP)

The King is dead. Long live the Queen!

3 Likes

Plot Twist: W-what if King Arthur was actually a manipulative SoB after all. O.o And everything that happened in the legends (and in the Guen-verse) was all a part of his master plan (probably except dying by Mordred’s hand). He probably thought that Guen would be more susceptible to his good guy image so he charmed his way to bed. (If your Guen was that sort of person.)

Hey, if we can make up hundreds of versions of Guens, why not a secretly manipulative Arthur, or an insecure Lancelot, or a mentally unstable Morgana?

Okay. nvm. This is taking a dark turn. Imma stop here.

3 Likes

No! Stahp! Don’t do it, someone would make it happen! The fanfiction! It’s aliiiiveeeeee DX

3 Likes

I’m sorry, I should have been more specific. I knew about the hardening discussion and the many innuendos that occurred; I was wondering about making Arthur a figurehead. I know Guen can accumulate power on her own, and can make things happen behind Arthur’s back, but is there a way we could more-or-less officially make Arthur a figurehead?

This is what I thought first lol,

With the figure head… Until I remembered the meaning in English… But this is literally a figure head decoration…

10 Likes

Oh wow, I agree! That could make for a fantastic AU! Honestly I wish I could write it…

Not in this version. He and his younger brother Pelles (Elaine’s father) are definitely more of a threat than TH White’s Pellinore.

When it comes to retellings of Arthurian lit, if it can be done, it’s probably been done. Though I’m not very familiar with the most recent stuff, I have the impression there are a lot of evil Arthurs out there. He was evil in his highly problematic and unsatisfying appearance on Once Upon a Time. TH White’s Lancelot is like the definition of insecure, and I’m sure that mental instability has been used more than once to explain Morgana’s villany actions. My version is pretty saccharine by comparison, and I am totally okay with that.

Oh, ok, sorry! I thought you had been around for those discussions; I was just confused.:confused: At the moment I don’t have a plan for “officially” making Arthur a figurehead, though I’m open to suggestions on what would constitute the difference between Guen just having a ton of behind-the-throne power and Arthur’s figureheadness being made official.

3 Likes

This one isn’t canon, but was done more for fun. This is my ‘Regime Change’ Guen, but she is a gracious winner, finding two open jobs for Arthur (upper right) and Lancelot (bottom row). In fact, Arthur has a lot of potential for upward mobility…
http://lindaroze.deviantart.com/art/Commission-It-s-Good-To-Be-The-Queen-602995440

12 Likes

Oh, this is both a great piece of art, and it makes me laugh, at the same time! :smile:

1 Like

@Lys I laughed so hard when I saw that! :laughing:

…and now I kind of want it to happen.

2 Likes

I feel like that should be a trippy dream sequence based on who our Guen actually cares for.

After all, ALL good works of fiction have a trippy dream sequence. ^.^

3 Likes

For Evil or otherwise not nice Arthur: The aforementioned Ouat, Camelot Lost, Here Lies Arthur, The Book of Mordred, Children of the May.

Basically if it stars Mordred it has a high chance of an unpleasant Arthur.

For an ‘unstable’ Morgana, she sometimes is if the author doesn’t like her, and very often if Guinevere is the main focus or if Mordred is her child. Persia Woolley’s Guinevere trilogy sticks out in my head though.

Morgause is however very often portrayed as having a lot of issues, much more than Morgana.

Insecure Lance is pretty popular thanks to TH White- he seem to either have extreme self-confidence or is completely self-hating.

2 Likes

@jeantown How does the game determine whether or not Guen attends the council meetings during the 3 year intermission between games? Just wondering because for example, Jerk Guen supposedly attended the meetings, but she has zero interest in politics. (Though she did contradict Arthur at every turn…maybe that’s what caused it…)

1 Like

Well… is this what you’d prefer? :cold_sweat: Poor Ned Stark…

Parallelisms to an Anora and Alistair union maybe? Albeit less blatantly obvious… lol. The statement “a ton of behind-the-throne-power” just reminds me of Littlefinger/Baelish, Tyrion or Tywin in GoT (S1). Why would Guen need behind-the-throne power when she is Queen? How much formal power does she have anyway? She seems to have quite a lot since she can order the knights around in the doppleganger fiasco.

Oh thanks! I can’t really imagine Arthur being evil since reading TH White and watching Merlin. Reading myth analysis on the net also paints him as a sort of all-around good guy. Relatively. I can imagine a stoic Arthur, an idealistic one (Like the Guenverse’s), a stupid one, and a smart one. A very pragmatic one to the point of being ruthless too.

But not evil…

A different perspective might be refreshing. :smile:

1 Like

Well in Spanish traditional view back before The Quijote, The Quijote killed all the knights stuff forever. Old Arthur was blinded by his own personal problems and sins and become a bad king. However, all the grail stuff and the fact he heavily hurt returned to Avalon make him immortal and goodie again. Lancelot ended in the hell for Judas and cheater traitor . And Guen is happy in Avalon with Arthur. As I said in old Spanish tradition she was not guilty, she was seduced, almost raped for Lancelot . She and Arthur await the moment Britain will be dignity enough to their return. Every day He flights like a beautiful black raven the Ingland sky protecting their citizens.
We are chaotic, but our legends are cool as hell, Medieval Spanish had the urban legend that no English people harm crows scared to death of harm Arthur. And we had erotic old bard poems about Lancelot. Poor lancelot.

5 Likes

Yes, but being able to command the palace guards because Arthur lets her isn’t the same thing as being able to command all of the lords of the land. They bent their knee to Arthur, not to her.

Hmm…maybe if she could get Arthur to proclaim her co-ruler, make all the Lords swear an oath to serve her as well, and then abdicate in her favor… Some would probably still think he’d been ensorcelled or lost his mind and still rebel however. She could always then appoint him her general/field marshal and send him after them. lol. hmm… Alternately, maybe he does all that, but instead of abdicating he dies in battle and she takes over as sole ruler.

5 Likes

I’ve changed Evil Guen’s name into Noxious Guen, and I’ve replayed Book I with her.

At first, she was very ambitious, yet angry. She wanted to gain power and desired to become Queen, but she felt betrayed by her father. He treated her like cattle, he sold her. However, she overcome her feelings and looked at the situation from a tactical viewpoint. She couldn’t stop the marriage even if she wanted to, so she decided to make the best of it.
She put up a facade and manipulated Arthur, Lancelot and Morgana. She tried her best to be as kind as she could with them. She would do anything to gain what she wants. She had sex with Arthur, flirted with Lancelot and tried to make Morgana love her , even if she had no feelings for them and was both asexual and aromantic. In fact, she despised them. She would love to break them, to see how they fall apart, only for her personal enjoyment.
First and foremost, she hated Arthur and thought that he was a foolish hypocrite, blinded by his own naivety. She couldn’t stand him and was disgusted by his affection. Lancelot was just another boring fool and she quickly got tired of him. Morgana was the only one she liked, and even if just a little bit, she respected her.
Everything was nothing more but an act and she awaits the day when she will be able to be her true self.

:blush: In the next few days I will replay Book II. I hope there aren’t any grammatical mistakes, English is not my first language.

6 Likes

Don’t worry about your language to much @Achylis. Most people are pretty cool about such things on the forum, especially with as many non-native English speakers as there are.

Heh, and amazingly, my primary Guen (the one I first played as) felt the exact same way that yours did about her father, and she would definitely have it in for him.

“Yes Daddy, I may be your daughter, but I’m also your Queen. Guards, throw him in the dungeon for a month for his disrespect of my royal personage.”

“But…but Guenevere…”

“10 lashes with the whip as well for refusing to use my title.”

“Honey, don’t you think you are being a little harsh with your father?”

“Fine, give him just 5 lashes. Oh, and two more for luck. It is his birthday after all.”

4 Likes

:smile: Thanks, but I don’t like having grammar mistakes. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist xD

I love the way your primary Guen would react~ I think my Guen would have him beheaded, she wouldn’t want to have any feelings left for him as they may become a weakness.