Guenevere (WIP)

3 Likes

I married one of those guys that finished last then. He, however, thinks heā€™s a winner, for some reason. :neutral_face:

6 Likes

I donā€™t think Optimistic equivalent to stupid. I just donā€™t like him, he is for me a plain boring one dimensional character. An Hypocrit and too trusting. My character thinks he is stupid. I am seriously convinced he is intelligent, but his ideals, making him looking as a naive fool. However, I never said Arthur couldnā€™t be great and that for you, and your characters. It is only not that way for me. I am tired to be pointed for Arthur lovers as . ā€œAll of you Arthur haters,ā€ this and that. @jeantown writing allows anyone have their own experience, traying to force others in your own vision, is wrong.

5 Likes

Eh, weā€™re all allowed our own opinions.

But come on everyone, weā€™re all here experiencing the magnificence of this story together, so why alienate one another?

I do find Arthur a little naive, but I do find it endearing, and I do think we need people like him in the world- and one in politics, where he is forced into that position, and no-one (except Guen, potentially) can throw him out. Well, itā€™s a good thing, to me, at least.

ā€¦hm. That brings some thoughts to mind.

So, Guen would be able to claim the throne through marriage?

If anything happened to Arthur, for any reason, and Guen didnā€™t have his child, the throne would go to Morganaā€™s eldest, even though he has no Pendragon blood?

Guen is at least Pendragon by marriage, yeah? Why not her? ā€¦unless itā€™s because theyā€™d want her to remarry, then sheā€™d no longer be Pendragon, ohā€¦ hmmā€¦ :confused: Thoughts?

2 Likes

There is no Pendragon by marriage. Pendragon is a bloodline, so it comes with blood not with political marriage. A bastard like Mordred. If not any Arthur bastard there will go to anyone with enough little blood to claim the throne. That probably led to a civil war.

2 Likes

But then why would it go to Morganaā€™s son? Morgana has no Pendragon blood?

But It has the other bloodline blood so If no other claim Pendragon blood it goes to the last king from other royal bloodline so Lot, and from them their sons. That probably would led to a civil war someone would say hey, I have quarter half of Uther grandpa blood make me King instead!

4 Likes

Ahhhh! I see. Thank you @poison_mara! ^^ :slight_smile:

Thanks again to @jeantown for allowing fanart of her work.

Unfortunately my friend wasnā€™t available, so I went with someone else whoā€™s already done some pieces for me earlier this month.

She currently finished a rendition of the fireworks scene with Guen and Morgana:
http://lindaroze.deviantart.com/art/Commission-Flutter-Skies-605244635

13 Likes

I can relate with that, sorta.

Thing is, pure idealism is asking for trouble. Thereā€™s a difference between wanting to believe the best in people and ACTUALLY doing so. If Arthur were any kind of ruler with some foresight, heā€™d probably have set up a contingency or two just in case things went awry when Meligaunt was visiting.

But he didnā€™t. Because the danger of having a pure soul is believing others do, as well. And while in theory I can get behind it, in practice Iā€™d rather offer one hand and arm the other, which Arthur hasnā€™t seemed to learn yet.

As much as I loved the alone time we got with Morgana, Arthurā€™s lack of common sense is what got us captured in the first place.

And to add to that, when I first played through blind creating my Original!Guen, Meligaunt hit the nail on the head when he was ribbing us in the courts. My Guen firmly believes that sheā€™s in a position that any woman could have taken.

3 Likes

He married you, so he must be. :wink:

Yep.

7 Likes

@jeantown, is there any way we can do this with Arthur later on?

It will be possible to harden him, and it will be possible to get Arthur killed in Part 7. It will probably be possible to use Arthur as a figurehead and have Guen control things behind the scenes later on, as well. So, yeah, all of those options should be doable.

5 Likes

Donā€™t get me wrong, Arthur is very annoying sometimes. But Iā€™m a huge pushover and wonā€™t even use sarcasm for fear that people wonā€™t see through it lol.

And besides. I hate seeing him sad. Even as Evil! Guen I canā€™t find it in myself to kill Hrotulf because he gets so upset about it. Let him sleep on the floor on our wedding night? Sure. But Hrotulf? No, thatā€™s too far. (By the way, should this count as a spoiler? It did happen in just book 1, soā€¦)

1 Like

I suppose itā€™s just a matter of where Iā€™m comfortable on the sliding scale of idealism versus cynicism.

I donā€™t fall for the idealistic puppydogs who I have to teach right from wrong. Iā€™d much rather try to get someone to believe the world isnā€™t as dark as they make it out to believe.

3 Likes

There was a dicussion about it somewhere before in thread. Arthur did had high security and was prepared for some potential trouble. It was a castle full of his best knights and a foreign diplomatic mission. So he had considerable force, and it wasnā€™t like the Frankmarch were his enemies. They were potential bussines partner and an ally. You donā€™t treat that kind of people as enemies under guard. Meligaunt was just an employee of the Frankish diplomatic entourage.
There was no way Arthur could have predicted so elaborate plan of Meligaunt and the betrayal of Frankish diplomats, that would be able to overcome full contingent of his best knights inside his castle. He wanted to make an economic alliance with foreign country. Ofcourse insulting them with treating them as potential thieves and kidnapers would be bad diplomatic decision when you want to make allies.
I think Guenevere being kidnapped wasnā€™t Arthurā€™s fault, but it was Meligauntā€™s fault. His plan is what got her captured in the first place.

I have a different opinion about that. It isnā€™t even always true in real world, so dont have to be in fantasy one. Same as some of his rivals see that as weakness, others see as strength and cause worth allying with. As we see in book one. In my opinion Arthur sparing barons was more beneficial strategic decision. He gained reputaion with his own people as kind and merciful ruler, he got additional intel from grateful spared prisoners. Usually countries/groups prefer to make allies than to make enemies, so better is presenting yourself as a potential trusworthy ally, than ruthless and unpredictable. Killing barons actualy wouldnā€™t make him have less enemies than he had, because there would be vengeful families and the like stepping in their place. Releasing them led to some of them turning to him now and others are now a known enemy.
Whether Arthur made the decision for strategic reasons or for idealistic ones, it doesnā€™t matter :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Hey everybody, sorry I havenā€™t been around for a while. My dog is sick again, and Iā€™ve been really preoccupied with him and other stuff. Iā€™ll try to respond to everything addressed to me, but please let me know if I miss something. :slight_smile:

:smile: Youā€™ll get to spend a lot of time with Merlin in part 3. Heā€™ll be coming along on the enchanted forest quest (thatā€™s been in the plan for a long time now). And Guen will do some important stuff with Vivien in part 4.

In fact, as half-fae, half-human, Merlin doesnā€™t age gradually (heā€™s been alive for a long time), but over time, heā€™s chosen to look older as a result of various experiences. In my current conception, he chose to change from a child to a young adult when his human father died, and then he chose to change from young adult to middle age when he adopted children, and then he chose to change to elderly when one of those children betrayed him and some other bad stuff happened (all part of the extended backstory which I hope to write up someday). But all of that is WIP and may change. Anyway, if Merlin wanted to appear as a twenty-year-old, he probably could, but he doesnā€™t feel like it ā€“ the weight of his experiences makes him feel old. And he just finds it easier if people see him as an eccentric old man.

That seems like a logical way to do it! The individual ā€œbooksā€ all take place over short periods of time, but the whole series would allow for up- and down- phases. Let me know how it works out in the future. :slight_smile:

@Pace675 Thanks for delurking and for the kind words, and especially for the cookies! :smile: eats many cookies Yum. Bring us more sometime! :slight_smile:

That should be more or less already there (certainly an asexual romance is available with all of the characters, so even if itā€™s not discussed directly in game, itā€™s understood, or supposed to be). But I see what you mean about the fast-forward not giving a clear option to express it with Lancelot. I added a clearer option in my local version, so it will appear next time I update. :slight_smile: Thanks!

Not presumptuous at all! Itā€™s important to me to have asexual romantic relationship options for all of the LIs. Guen should be able to state it very clearly with Morgana and with Lancelot in book 2. I guess with Arthur itā€™s the least clear, since with him, the ace conversation in book 1 is more about children than his relationship with Guen. But I tried to give lots of ways we can see Guen and Arthur being asexually romantic in the first part of book 2 ā€“ the bedroom interaction can be very sweet and loving without any sex, at least; thatā€™s what I intended. But if you have any specific suggestions, let me knowā€¦ I do like the idea of Guen making items for her romantic LI. :smile:

Yes, exactly. And if both Lancelot and Morgana end up in the same place, they will almost certainly achieve the goals for that branch.

I think thatā€™s fair. I mean, if the reader can guess, so can Guen. :slight_smile:

Would indeed be the smart thing to do, but theyā€™re in a totally unfamiliar country, so figuring out a safe place to meet could be difficult.

@Achylis Thank you! :grin: Iā€™m glad you like the game! Thanks for delurking and for the much-appreciated encouragement, and I would love to hear about your Evil Guen.

Itā€™s exactly as @poison_mara says. Guen doesnā€™t have any magic royal blood to pass on, so in the event of Arthurā€™s death, an heir from one of the other two royal lines would get the throne before she would. If Guen had a child with Pendragon blood, the child would become monarch and Guen could theoretically be a regent / power behind the throne, but she canā€™t be solo queen.

There are three royal lines: the Pendragons, the Pellinores/Arimatheans, and the Lothians. The Lothians were exiled to Orkney some time ago, so the Pellinores would have had the strongest claim, but Uther made peace with the Lothians (by marrying off Morgana to King Lot) in order to keep the Pellinores from getting too powerful. If Arthur were to die tomorrow, Gawain (Lothian line) would be the heir, but the Pellinores would contest it so much that a civil war would be likely. Guen herself would have very little power or say in anything, unless sheā€™d produced a Pendragon heir.

@Lys eeeeeeeeeeeee! :blue_heart: Itā€™s beautiful! Thank you again for bringing us such lovely art! :smile:

As for the discussion about Arthurā€™s idealism, Iā€™m always thrilled when this comes up, because it helps me feel like I wrote something people want to discuss, but I will also, as always, mostly stay out of it except to clarify plot elements and such.

Yep, just as @OtherGrimm says. If you search the thread for ā€œharden,ā€ you will find a lot of previous discussion about how it will work.

13 Likes

You mean Mordred wonā€™t get to stab him? :no_mouth:

1 Like

Depending on when this would happen, he wouldnā€™t even be bornā€¦or conceivedā€¦So congratulations! You also stoped some evil masterplan!

3 Likes

Ooh. Civil War. Now THIS is one AU storyline that I want to see. Gawain does have two points going for him, that heā€™s King Lotā€™s son and King Arthurā€™s nephew (albeit on the motherā€™s side. amirite?) Is King Pellinor the old questing beast guy? I canā€™t imagine taking him seriously but heā€™s probably formidable lol.

Playing Guen in this AU storyline would be awesome. Esp. if she has Arthurā€™s unborn child. I can see all the GoT like plots in my head nowā€¦

2 Likes