Guenevere (WIP)

I always thought it was a case of Arthur has already messed up by leaving Camelot undefended. If he was chasing after the real Guen then maaaybe it could slide because he wants to save his wife, but right now Camelot’s undefended, he’s chasing a doppelgänger and theres a high possibility of him getting permanently wounded. If Guen goes to Michaelsmount then you can avert some of that damage.

Or made all even worse for him, he could end badly damaged by Melliagunt and you have to save him from his naivety. And then everyone will now You save him and all knights and planned or the defense or the peace treaty. You not Arthur.

I thought about saving Arthur a few times but it always ends with the same thing. No, he put Guen in danger, so I’m gonna leave him in danger.Eye for an eye.

1 Like

Off topic, but I learned just how post photos from my Dropbox here.These are my two fae cats Titus and Policho sleeping in a package box , cats love boxes, who knows why!

15 Likes

@archrose Your post keeps getting bumped to the bottom of the thread! That’s weird… Anyway, I do hope to have a very substantial update by next year! :smile:

He may never realize the truth. If Guen goes to Michaelsmount, Arthur (and the other knights) will assume that she came there to help him, even if she doesn’t.

Good heavens. I hadn’t heard that one. So an author’s eyes have the inescapable power of bestowing canonization, whether the author consents to said canonization or not… There’s a story in there somewhere!

Thanks! :smiley:

@Zolataya That’s why I’m generally in favor of fanfic. Ideally, it gives stories more life and more meaning.

Yep, Jean is totally all right with it. I guess I’d just better not admit to ever having read any Guenevere fic, is all. :stuck_out_tongue:

:arrow_up: Exactly. :arrow_up:

That said, when I hear that someone has written Guen fic (and I’ve heard of at least three), it always makes my day to think that they like the story/characters enough to want more!

Yes. There are two different ways to destroy it, and if Guen has the means, she can destroy it on the spot with Meligaunt watching (assuming he survives that far). Alternatively, she can take it back to Camelot and have it destroyed later.

:beers:

Thanks! (:

@thesunfloweramazon Thanks for all the comments on the patch! There are still plenty of things I want to change, but I’m glad you liked this batch of changes.

oooh, sounds interesting! Feel free to tell us more about it if you want to. :slightly_smiling:

Yeah, or other people with connections to Avalon. (though tbh I should differentiate what Lancelot and Morgana say more, since it’s almost exactly the same.) It is indeed a place where people have an easier time expressing a variety of experiences of sexuality, partly because Avalon doesn’t share the noble families’ obsessions with bloodlines, and partly because it’s a place of physical and spiritual healing, so people are more used to taking about matters of the body and soul.

Yes; there’s a high percentage of such people there. Interesting to imagine a world where lesbian/gay/ace people feel more welcome in religious spaces than secular ones.

Oh, gosh; I don’t even remember changing that! (though I do remember wanting to.) I must have done it a long time ago. :blush:

I had several requests for that. :smile:

Yes, Uther arranged it. In my version, Gorlois was actually a sorcerer who did some reprehensible stuff, and Uther was always afraid Morgana would follow in her father’s footsteps. So he wanted to send her as far away as possible, but he also needed to make the most useful alliance (since Arthur wasn’t around at that point, and Morgana was the closest thing to a princess). The Lothians, one of the three royal lines, had been estranged from the other two and exiled to Orkney. Uther was concerned because the Pellinores (the other of the three lines) were gaining a lot of power, so he offered their longtime rivals, the Lothians, a symbolic restoration in the form of a marriage with his own stepdaughter. It was a win-win-win for him, since it 1. sent Morgana and her scary magic far, far away; 2. gave the Lothians a little more prestige at the expense of the Pellinores; but also 3. made King Lot have to tread very lightly, because who knows what Morgana would do with her scary magic. Fifteen is considered acceptable marrying age in the Guenverse. Lot probably jumped at it as quickly as possible out of fear that Uther might change his mind.[quote=“thesunfloweramazon, post:5936, topic:1996”]
I REALLY love pre-Arthur drama so I’m really curious on that. Or I’ll wait to see it, I thought I read we get more of history stuff in book 3?
[/quote]
There is a big infodump in book 3, but it’s mainly about the three royal lines and their magic abilities (not about the Uther/Ygraine backstory). While travelling last week, I nailed down a lot more of the immediate backstory than I had. I could almost make a whole prequel novel out of it (someday), though there are still some things to work out.

:slight_smile: Much of the above should be possible, depending on circumstances.

That would = “safe space” to me. Your right to swing your fist around stops at someone else’s nose. Your right to freedom of speech stops at hate speech. You do not have the right to take away other people’s right to a safe environment.

Oh, at least watch Excalibur. It’s utterly terrible, but it has Patrick Stewart. And Monty Python’s Holy Grail. That’s pretty much obligatory.

@OtherGrimm Those are great suggestions; thank you! I’m still not happy with that conversation, and both of those will improve it. And other people have requested the option to bring up running away with Lance, so I really should put that in. Thanks again! :smile:

As @poison_mara and @Rina suggest, Arthur’s already going to look incompetent for chasing the wrong Guen and leaving Camelot undefended. He walked right into Meligaunt’s trap. If, in addition, he fails to defeat Meligaunt and comes home wounded or dead, he’s going to look even worse. (whereas having beaten Meligaunt and suffered no harm wouldn’t be quite as bad.)

Fair enough!

@poison_mara aaaaaaawwwww!!! So cute!!! :heart_eyes: Which one is Titus?

5 Likes

The older short hair stray cat. Policho is 6 months old and long grey hair

2 Likes

So my Guen could ship daughterXMordred? Until Mordred betrays Arthur and she then stabs Mordred?

That would be so adorable in my head.

Speaking of possible daughter and Mordred, would it be possible for Guen’s kid to have an opinion on Mordred or Arthur? That would be an interesting thing to see…

@poison_mara AAAAAHHHHH! CAAATTTTSSS! runs away I hate cats so much!

In regards to safe spaces: Most safe spaces want to get RID of people’s rights, in much that I have seen from such things they want to be immune to criticism and any opinion other than their own, which isn’t right. I’m just fine with people not hitting you or needlessly insulting you (or hating on a group for no reason), but that falls under the law (though personally I disagree with any legal issues for hate speech, as that is somewhat subjective).

But yeah, you don’t have the right to get rid of people’s safety. It’s why I wrote an essay on why people should be allowed to carry a handgun on college campuses.

Anyway, that was an off-topic rant about politics. From a 17 year old. I’ll stop doing that now. Maybe. I’m going to go… do something so that I don’t dwell.

1 Like

Do you also have images of them in their shadow-beast form?

2 Likes

@poison_mara Ahhhh your kitties are so cute! Please pet them for me!

@jeantown AHHHH a whole prequel novel would be amazing! Since it’s Arthurian, you can just publish it on it’s own, or like a game novel like WoW and Bioware does. There is a lack of pre-Arthur generation lit. :frowning:

INTERESTING to see Gorlois was more villainous here, I’m hoping we can ask Morgana was her relationship with her dad and mom was like, and what kind of marriage her parents had. And :confused: at Uther trying to get rid of Morgana. I’m glad his son doesn’t have the same beliefs. Poor Morgana, there is no winning. Did her mom agree to the marriage, or is that spoiler? And ooooh at the Pelllinore’s gaining power, I wonder if they and Uther were friends and Uther was just shoring up his stuff, or if they’re worried about each other? Or if Arthur and Pellinore will be friends here.

And yeah I’m going to get a Galahad heraldry tattoo! Guinevere is my favorite character, but she doesn’t have any good symbols, so I went with my favorite knight. There is an artist of Arthurian stuff on tumblr who does tattoo commissions that I’m hoping to get one from- I’m hoping they can make the shield less…templar. Galahad doesn’t have the prettiest heraldry design. Arthur, Kay, and Dagonet have the nicest imo.

Edit: Wait, apparently Guinevere does have a heraldry! And it’s pretty! http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/kingarthurpendragon/images/d/d6/Cameliard.gif/revision/latest?cb=20120225130921 Though it’s more her dad’s than hers, I guess.

5 Likes

(1.) Will we get to know more about the history between Uther and Gorlois in the story?
(2.) So are the people of Britain suspicious of Morgana because she is the daughter of an evil sorcerer or because she is a talented sorcerer of dark magic?
(3.) What exactly did Gorlois do in his lifetime, that brought some of that suspicion on his daughter? If/when Morgana turns evil, will she do the same thing?
(4.) Will her bad family history affect Mordred when he is born? What about after he reveals his abilities?
(5.) When Arthur becomes “hardened”, and Morgana (probably) becomes a villain, will they both assume the relationship that was created between Uther and Gorlois?
Forgive me for asking a lot of questions, but as you can see above that statement brought on some curiosity.

2 Likes

I think the answer to this one is ‘yes’. Both are likely contributing factors. :slight_smile:

Oh, @jeantown, I had another idea, though this time it’s for a conversation that hasn’t been written yet (as far as I’m aware). At the end of Part 2, Guen has the option of telling Arthur she’s involved with Lance (and/or presumably Morgana). Could she have the option of saying she’s involved with someone, but refuse to tell him who? There could be a few reasons she’d want to keep it secret (it’s none of his business, she fears retaliation, she doesn’t want to hurt Arthur’s relationship with her lover, etc.)…

Also, would it be possible for her to lie to him about having an affair? Obviously, she could say nothing about an affair she’s having, but could she claim to have slept with someone else (specifying who or not would be her choice)? My most recent playthrough was playing a Guen who hates Arthur, so even though she didn’t get to sleep with Lance (he said no), she might want to tell Arthur she did, just to hurt him. It would likely upset Lance when he hears about it, but this particular Guen doesn’t really think things through…

6 Likes

I don’t know if this has been asked yet or not (I try to read every post, but there are almost 6000. I’ve definitely missed some, lol). Anyway, apologies if this has already been addressed, but will we get a chance to visit Avalon? I’ve been hoping we would for a while anyway, because it sounds amazing, but in one of my replays I talked to Vivien again, and was reminded that she actually invites Guen to Avalon. So it got me wondering again if that could actually happen.

2 Likes

Yes. If I remember correctly, Guen will go to Avalon in Part 4.

3 Likes

You are assuming Guen will have a daughter. :slightly_smiling:

Yes, Guen’s child (if it exists) will have a number of opinions on both Arthur and Mordred. Their opinions may even change over time, or under Guen’s influence.

I would love to do it, especially because it would include young Vivien meeting and falling in love with her wife (who is 95% OC, but I am really excited about her). Right now it’s just a timeline with a lot of notes, and I can’t quite figure out how to turn it into a satisfying story overall, but once I get the prequel short stories finished, maybe I can give it some more attention. I’ve also considered short prequels for Merlin, Maris and Bretta, and the person who broke Lancelot’s heart, but those would be pretty far in the future.

Yeah, I’m not sure how that will go over with people since he’s usually more of a victim, but I had fun imagining some twists on the original story with Gorlois as a bad guy. And it does give a little more oomph to why Morgana has been treated the way she has.

Actually haven’t decided yet. I’m still trying to nail down exactly what Ygraine’s role was in some of the backstory. I do know that she was close friends with Vivien when they were teenagers, before she married Gorlois. I’ll have to figure out more in order to progress with the Morgana prequel, because I just got to the part where Ygraine and Uther show up. Morgana’s only 11-12 at that point, but there will probably already be talk of her future.

The relationship between the Pellinores and the Pendragons has historically been much better than the relationship between the Lothians and everyone else, but the current generation of Pellinores may be somewhat problematic. We’ll get some hints of that in part 3, and a lot more in part 4.

Hmmm, yeah, the Galahad heraldry looks… well, very appropriate for the character in cultural context (the simplicity/purity and blatant Christian symbolism), but I guess most people who saw it nowadays wouldn’t immediately recognize what it was. But that just means you’d have to explain it a lot, so it would be a conversation starter, and then you could tell people to play Guenevere. :smile: Anyway, I really hope you like my Galahad and his role in the story… (in a million years when it happens.)

Probably not in the game, though I suppose I could add some dialogue where Guen asks Morgana about it. It won’t matter much for the overall game plot, so it would just be a sideline to flesh out Morgana and the world a bit.

Both.

That would be too much of a spoiler, so all I’ll say for now is that his actions led both Uther and Ygraine to want him dead.

No. She’ll never be that evil. Gorlois was totally selfish; Morgana will still think that she’s working for the greater good.

Mordred may inherit some of Gorlois’ tendencies. There won’t be a big dramatic reveal of his abilities; they’ll grow gradually, and people will know about them.

Probably not, unless one wants to read a possible Arthur/Guen/Morgana love triangle as a parallel to Uther/Ygraine/Gorlois, but it won’t be much of a parallel.

I love questions; your questions are always just so good and to-the-point that I can’t answer them very clearly for fear of spoiling the story too much – but it shows that you understand the story really well!

Hmm, I hadn’t thought of that. Interesting. When I get there, I’ll try it out and see if it works. Thanks! :slightly_smiling:

Now that would be interesting, especially if it came down to Arthur having to choose between believing Guen or believing Lance. It would be a whole additional set of variables to track, but it could easily be worked into the final conversations. Again, I’ll give it a try and see what happens.

Grimm always remembers correctly. :smile:

6 Likes

"I would love to do it, especially because it would include young Vivien meeting and falling in love with her wife "

“I’ve also considered short prequels for Merlin, Maris and Bretta, and the person who broke Lancelot’s heart”

"Anyway, I really hope you like my Galahad and his role in the story… "

The idea of lore gets me really excited, I’m sorry. Can’t wait for those prequels. I am really interested in reading more of your Arthurian lore outside of the game medium, much as I love it. Your novel writing is really awesome.

I think gorlois as the villain is a really interesting way to go! I was totally assuming it was going the way of evil Uther/victim Gorlois because it’s that common, but Morgana being the Evil Sorcerer’s Beautiful Daughter is a really interesting background for her and the whole Uther/Igraine romance.

The Vivien’s wife being 95% interests me, I wonder who the 5% is based off. Nimue? Ganieda? Lunete? Madam Mim?! There aren’t a lot of pre-Arthur ladies I can name.

For Galahad’s cross I think I might make it look more like an ambulance cross. Still get weird questions, but not weird religious assumptions. Also I AM SO EXCITED FOR GALAHAD I’LL WAIT FOREVER FOR HIM.

9 Likes

Weeeelllll, considering all my other posts involving Guen’s kid have outright called her a daughter I will hereby say my Guen at least will have a daughter until that’s proven impossible in which case I stop playing the game! I’ve stopped playing games for less, you know (Like not being allowed to play a certain character, or weird ending mechanics, or some weird plot device that makes me yell “WHAT?!” and drop the game and never come back)

I’ll end up boycotting the game. Because I’m petty like that when you ruin things for absolutely no good reason D:

I doubt I was the only person to have the impression that Guen’s kid COULD be written as a daughter. I doubt you’ve said what gender they are yet.

YES! Now I’m really excited. Re-reading the early conversation with Vivien made me really want to meet her wife.

I’m also hoping to meet her in Avalon. I definitely can’t wait to see what it’s like, I love all the mentions of it.

6 Likes

Reminder: The author of a game always gets the final way say on their game. Respectful discussion is acceptable, and even encouraged, at least up until the point where an author asks for the conversation to end. Demanding changes is never tolerated.

That said @OtherGrimm, escalating a discussion is not helpful, and not acceptable. Make sure your points are respectful, and to the point at hand. Discuss ideas, not people, and especially not people on the forums.

@Fallaner If you do not want to read a game, a game, by no means do you have to. However, once you’ve voiced your disagreement with a decision, you do not get to continue to complain continuously.

Finally, if you have a problem with another user’s post being disrespectful, flag it, and don’t respond. No one gets a pass for being rude because someone else did it first.

17 Likes

Addendum: Read the rules (Specifically this part)

We have very few rules on the forum. Every single one is there for a reason. This one in particular is to stop exactly this from happening. Don’t argue with a mod after we put a stop to a discussion. We only do so once we’re sure the discussion is beyond salvaging.

If you absolutely feel the need to defend yourself or your actions to a mod, PM us. If you have a problem with a moderator, PM a different one.

18 Likes

I am thinking about how my Guenevere will react after everything is said and done this chapter, and she gets back from Frankmarch, hopefully after negotiating peace and helping to secure Radagunda’s throne by ensnaring Grimald in his own web of intrigue. She did send Lancelot to help Arthur, figuring he would be more helpful in that sort of situation.

She will not exactly be thrilled that Arthur fell right into Meligaunt’s trap, but she has come to accept that it is simply the way Arthur is, and that she simply has to go along with it when possible and work around it when it is not. Back when Arthur was climbing down the window to rescue the doppleganger, she knew it was pointless trying to dissuade him, so she simply pointed out that he was going to have trouble fighting in nothing but his nightclothes. She will be relieved that Arthur is hopefully well and that everything worked out, more or less. As for asking him to learn from his mistakes here, she will do so in her usual way, being subtle and indirect in accordance with her reserved, prim, and formal personality.

To be honest, it would take an extreme degree of provocation for my Guenevere to even start firing back with passive-aggressively sarcastic jabs, and given how high her tolerance threshold and composure are, along with her fastidious adherence to politesse and etiquette, it is frankly impossible that anyone will be able to provoke her to that degree.

1 Like