Guenevere (WIP)

We do love them, but we’re also afraid of them. Machiavelli was wrong; you can have both!

3 Likes

@poison_mara So I’m not doing anything wrong? :innocent: Whew, that’s a relief. :smile: I was/am always worried that the original creator will take offense and start yelling at me or something.

Aww, thank you, I’m glad you like Ruthless Guen! And that means…you read my Guencaps! :smiley: I kind of wondered if you did or if poor Mara would puke from reading about so many goodie-goodies (at least by comparison) in one sitting.

And I love your posts about Poison Queen! But you probably already knew that, since I used her as a Guen inspiration.

@Teety12 Thank you, I’m glad you’re enjoying them so much! It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to know people like them!

2 Likes

@buggygirl11, to the writer in me, you couldn’t be anything but an inspiration. You seem to approach your characterizations with such brio and verve, it’s awe-inspiring to read. SO thank you.

Oh ho, really? Well have fun. I hope I described them enough that you can get an enjoyable experience out of them. (Though people keep saying I detailed them, I feel like I could have done more.) For sure, I thought a lot of your Skanky Guen when I played Hype.

Lol, be my guest. I’m honored that’d you’d consider my Guens interesting to “borrow”. I’m also “ral” curious to see the spin you put on them.

Nah, no problems. I love this forum for it’s sharing ways and I put myy Guens up to share my experiences, if someone wants to use them/make their own version of them; then sharing is caring :joy:

1 Like

I read your text carefully because sometimes I have problems with complex longer text.Weirdly, I could read anything from before XX better, like I read Dickens and Sherlock Holmes and portrait of Dorian Gray within problems but when I read Harry Potter or all Dragon Age books I had lots of headaches. There has to be something in the modern flow of paragraphs. But Mara didn’t read that and just go away bored, saying “You are a fool if think i waste my time reading about other imaginary characters” She has a temper, we use to discuss a lot.
The next paragraph is for people like amazed by the fact I talked with a imaginary characters. It’s frequent in many writers that have said characters talk with them. Cervantes was a brilliant case when characters inside novel talks about his work and criticized it. Poirot and Cristie . Also I am me and Mara is Mara, people tend to confuse us. And then call me mean things via pm .

Thanfully, this amazing forum has used to it and there had been more than a year from the last one. But other forums are so mean… I received some if you don’t know how to write English properly go f*** of to your s*& country. Glad I ended in this forum I was about to renounce to maintain real chats with real native people and that could have been so sad, and i probably not improve same level. So thanks all of you from me and from Mara. She has a genuine love for cats and this forum even if she menaces it with poison sometimes.

2 Likes

A quick reminder, no content and off topic posts are against the rules. Yea, enforcement is haphazard, but when you post off topic junk, you’re taking it into your hand whether or not a mod is going to see and decide to do something about it. It’s on your head.

Is it something funny and at least tangentially related? Eh, we’ll probably let it slide. Is it unrelated and not particularly interesting? Eh, we’ll probably just use the flag to let you come up with something actually worth posting. Complaining about getting flagged though? That’s always just going to annoy me.

Every single flag, without exception, gets checked by a mod, so when your post gets hidden, you’ve taken some chunk out of a mod’s day and (99.9+% of the time) they already agreed that you did something wrong. When you complain about it, and I have to go and take time out of my day again to deal with your complaint, where do you think we end up? If you’ve got a serious issue and don’t think you should have been flagged, ask a mod about it, but complaining about having been chastised for breaking the rules after breaking the rules, by again breaking the rules? Do I seriously have to explain why this just makes everyone’s day worst? Jeez, at least be interesting or funny about it if you’re already going to waste my time.

/rant

6 Likes

@poison_mara Yeah, paragraph structure changes over the centuries. That’s why when I, native English speaker, try to read books from long ago (which is pretty often for history courses), I sometimes have to read the sentences a couple of times to completely understand the meaning (even though I know all the words). Though NOTHING I’ve read so far is nearly as hard as Shakespeare! :grinning:

It means a lot that you take the time to read even though it’s difficult. I know how many times I’ve given up on a difficult book in frustration (often Shakespeare), so I definitely admire you for sticking with them.

OMG, that’s awful. I’m glad things are better over here. Just remember, your English is likely a hundred times better than those idiots’ grasp on any language outside (and often including) their own.

People think you are Mara? :smile: Consider it a compliment-you play her so well that people think she’s real. Though avoiding arguments with people who disagree with/dislike my Guens is why I clearly label my Guen’s POVs with bullet points and bold lettering. Cause while some people actually enjoy a friendly argument…I’m not one of them. :v:

2 Likes

I-- okay.

Before that phrase alone gets labled as useless spam I’ll just say this game is coming along swimmingly. Probably last comment from me KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

2 Likes

Shakespeare is easy for me, well except some weird wording. Because he use a speech similar to Spanish theatre. And I love his dry humor some people said I am mad to read Shakespeare in English but why not? I mean I got my badass Oxford advanced dictionary with me and it’s funny read the Spanish official translation (I bought the edition with one language each page) and have like zero sense and flow sometimes. Or like Alice in Wonderland when translator just give up with some word jokes and directly put the original in the margin. Guen has a easy flow like a fat cat over a sofa It’s easy to stroke his ears and heard him purr. Other games tent to start cutting phrases like drunken knife fighters and I just get lost in mid sentence about giving me a heart attack. Some official cogs have that problem. I am really sensitive with flow . But weirdly main is irregular like a daunting couple.

1 Like

@poison_mara Ha ha, I HATE having to reach for a dictionary while I’m reading. That’s my biggest issue with Shakespeare! :smile:

I just realized that you must have to do that all the time here. :blush: I’m glad you have more patience for it than I do!

Aand I should probably get back on topic now. I’m not sure how serious that moderator was, but I don’t want to find out by having my posts taken down. :wink:

2 Likes

Oh, no I don’t usually need dictionary for common words in English. Your language has really a limited number of words in comparison with a latin based language, sorry. I had more problems with the fact your tendency to give like 40 meanings to a single word . For clarification, all this you and your are referring to a plural undeterminated you . You is a tricky word to use properly for me. So I just explain whatever I tried to said to avoid unnecessary misunderstandings . Sadly That gives me a peculiar way to talk Sometimes I feel like I am some kind of Jar Jar Bings. Unrelated stuff my virtual keyboard just disappeared for a minute appearing a news headlines. I almost die. Last time i change the default google keyboard on Android lol

2 Likes

I’m not even completely through part 2, but so far the game has been so incredible. All of the options are tempting to make in their own way, the dialogue is interesting, and I’m getting really attached to all of the characters really quickly. There’s so many funny moments that don’t seem forced at all and flow really well, and yet I still found myself feeling really pained about Lance’s conflict with Guen (when I went down that route in the first book).

(If I’ve jumped into a weird part of this thread, it’s because I haven’t read anybody’s comments >3> I just really wanted to give my input on this fantastic game)

2 Likes

Hey now, we have tons of words. We just don’t use most of them, which I find a little disappointing. English has something like thirty different words for walking or running, all with their own connotations.

That makes me wonder whether dictionary producers actually invent their own words sometimes. :grinning:

They do.

1 Like

Hi all. After the car accident last weekend, I got so depressed that I did only the bare minimum for my job and spent most of the week sitting on the couch reading the Tale of Genji and ignoring the world. I feel better today, so I’m going to try to go through all the posts from the past week and respond to stuff as best I can. Let me know if I miss any questions or anything.

@poison_mara I looked up El conjuro de la queimada, but everything I could find was in Spanish. Combining my knowledge of Latin with Google translate led to some funny results. Given that I would probably mess up the language, who knows what weird thing might happen if I were to try it? I might summon a duende or something.

@Elfwine and @Fallaner @Mirabella @faewkless @Lazarus Thanks for the internet hugs… I need them. :smile:

Maybe he can translate the conjuro de la queimada for me?

I hope so. I really want to make it possible for the characters’ feelings about each other to change later in the game. We’ll see if I can pull it off.

@Lazarus Holy Expletive. We need more like buttons. That was so much fun to read. I love the contrast between AEM and Gwyn and Hype’s worldviews and feelings toward the characters. These descriptions are always so helpful to me, because when I’m writing choices, I can think, “Is there something here for this Guen, and for that Guen?” Among many other thoughts, you’ve reminded me how much I want to layer in more interaction with Merlin. And I think your AEM will enjoy the trip to Avalon in part 4.

I’m actually thinking of taking out the references to hair color, except maybe Morgana’s. I know that most readers want some description to help them imagine the characters, but the hair color has seemed too limiting to me for a while – partly because some readers feel it forbids them from imagining a character exactly how they want, and partly because it implies that the characters are white, which they don’t have to be. We’ve sort of talked about this before, but how would you guys feel if I took out the hair color references?

And… I don’t know if I want to open this up or not, but this is not the first time I’ve thought about the possibility of trans!Guen. It would take a ton of time to try to account for that, and the game is already taking so long to write… but I wish I could… in some ways, an amab trans woman Guen would be easier to work in, but it would require adding more particulars to Guen’s back-story than I’d prefer – basically, if Guen doesn’t have uterus, there would have to be relatively specific circumstances explaining why/how she ends up in a position where everyone expects her to have children. Someone would be deceiving someone somewhere along the line. Even so, Arthur would ultimately make peace with it, as he does with Guen being asexual or a lesbian or just not wanting to have sex with him, I think his process would have to be more complicated, though. As for an afab trans man Guen like @Lazarus’s Gwyn, the backstory isn’t as much an issue because a lot of it can still be left to the reader’s imagination, but the main story would have to incorporate Guen dealing with gender dysphoria in some form or other, and since those experiences vary soooo widely from person to person, I’d once again worry about making things too specific.

And before anyone asks, permanent gender-switching magic isn’t possible in the Guenverse. That’s a decision I made a long time ago, for various reasons. Maybe in another game, someday, but not this one.

Anyway, idk, let me know if y’all have any thoughts on this. It’s interesting to think about, even if I can’t really make it work in the game.

You can ask them now if you still have them. :slight_smile: I’m better.

Nah. It’s a good strategy. I’m just teasing you. I lost patience with Peter Jackson when the people of Gondor started catapulting giant chunks of the city walls at orcs. Not that it wasn’t cool-looking, but I could have done with four or five more minutes spent on Eowyn and Faramir out of the like two hours of giant-wall-chunk-catapulting. Although the Camelot branch doesn’t specifically say (atm, anyway) that rocks are being thrown down on the Franks climbing the ladders, you can assume it’s happening. Just not giant chunks of walls.

Books 5-7 should have lots of different forms of resource-gathering and preparation for the final battle.

@leo :slight_smile: Thank you very much for playing and for posting; I’m happy that you’re enjoying the game! And sorry it took me so long to say so; I had a bad week. But knowing that people like the game always makes me feel better. Hope you’ll enjoy the future installments, whenever I manage to get them done!

4 Likes

@Jeantown I’d prefer the descriptions to be kept in, but if you think it improves the story, I don’t think it’s essential.

3 Likes

@jeantown I’m really happy you’re feeling better! :smiley:

Eh, I’m pretty neutral about the hair color thing, since I imagine them however I want anyway (for example: in my imagination, Lancelot definitely has BROWN hair, not blonde!) Do whatever you think is best. :smile:

2 Likes

@Jeantown

The more, the better. :grinning:

Also, is the Camelot Castle situated on the top of a hill/mountain/any other advantageous terrain?

Lastly, does “Leadership” also represent one’s ability to make a speech?

And I’m totally looking forward to the Camelot Battle! It’s the time to win a victory and loot the enemy.

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re doing better.

I prefer taking out the descriptions of hair color, because as you said, I prefer to imagine the charactera as non-white. Basically, my Lancelot is nowhere near blond, haha. I’m glad you realize that this is even a thing that might bother some readers. I know I often get “pulled” out of an author’s world when their writing forces me to think of their characters as white.

3 Likes

I hope everything will go back they way they were in your life! :smile:
I personally would prefer to keep the descriptions as they are; it gives a more personal feeling to the character and the narration (it makes me more attached to know some of the characters’ characteristics), and at the same time, it is subtle enough to let the readers imagine they way they want. :blush:

3 Likes