Guenevere (WIP)

I consider it less psychotic, and more ruthless. It’s basically a warning, discouraging people from crossing Britain.

It’s not a pleasant idea, no, but it can be effective.

Edit: Ninja’d. Ah well. Same points.

I’ll put it this way:

Elizabeth I was uncomfortable ordering Mary Queen of Scots beheaded (a very mild punishment given the day’s standards on how far you could go with treason and like crimes), and people other than Bess’s own supporters still reacted to her having an anointed queen killed as if it was extreme. Do you really think tormenting someone to death and putting their head on a stake is going to be seen as “Yeah, no biggie.”?

And if your Guen is honestly incapable of comprehending why anyone would find this excessive and the kind of thing that “good, decent, kind people don’t do”, I am not sure where to even begin explaining empathy.

And no, they are not. The reaction is that both are terrible, horrible things.

I don’t know where you live, but I know that in the society I live in (as a Californian), I have never seen anyone be completely blase about my view that rape is arguably worse than murder in some ways. I have never heard anyone I know offline support actual castration, and the only people I know who do online are people who are, shall we say, not normal.

Now if we’re talking targeting children in particular it’s certainly considered beyond the pale, but mobs whether the guilt is proven or not? I very much doubt it. People making angry comments on the internet (edit) or in the media is not the same thing as actual lynch mobs. And we don’t exactly see people who gruesomely murder others treated as if that’s mild either.

Your reputation would be changed a good bit doing that.
Ultimately its a choice of do you want people to think of you as nice versus appearing to vlad.
Also the criminal thing was done to scare people.
So you want to scare people.
Ok…so i’m still supposed to believe this is nice guen?

@Othergrimm it may be effective but the people would be very troubled about that. So your nice queen stuff would be very ineffective.
So she goes from nice guen to two faced guen.

She quite simply would of hoped they knew her better than that or legitimately trusted her. She would understand considering it excessive and objecting, but she doesn’t understand why they’d effectively stop trusting her and consider her two-faced, when she is literally nothing but trusting and accepting of basically everything they do. Sure, nothing quite as extreme, but when Arthur is dumb enough to run off to go help a doppleganger she doesn’t even get mad, which she rightly could, and in fact sends Lancelot, who she REALLY could of used the help of in Camelot, to go help him. She completely forgives him and accepts the idiot decision he made without getting mad or tarnishing her view of him, in fact she’s very worried for him!

@faewkless, her reputation would undoubtedly get changed anyway. There’s a difference between being nice and doing this once… to being freaking Vlad the Impaler! There’s a reason he’s called VLAD THE IMPALER!
And yes, this is my nice guen. “Every Rose has its thorn”. Ever hear of that saying? (I can say how true that is. I have a rose bush in my front yard). She’s generally nice and lovely, but when you push her over the edge she can be brutal (like my freaking rose bush <.<)

Now, in regards to the rape argument, I’m going to just drop it, as it has no point here.

“Every rose has its thorns”
I prefer lilies anyways.

And its not as simple as doing this once.
Your putting a decapitated skull on the castle doorstep.
Thats not a one time things.
Thats a thing people see.
Every time you go to that castle.
Its gonna build your reputation for you faster than you can say.
“Hey I may have done this stuff but its only once and im always nice…If you don’t make me very mad.”
Then there is gonna be a whole thing of don’t make the queen mad…or else.

“Basically everything they do” doesn’t include torturing people to death. That’s the kind of thing that really makes people worry about other people’s moral fiber.

I think Morgana - picked because come on, who doesn’t like Morgana - asking Guen if she’s actually serious (about the more dramatic stuff), and edging away from a Guen who is. And that’s the person most likely to consider being known as a queen whose wrath is to be feared is a good thing. Arthur is likely to find it horrifying unless he’s quite hardened - that doesn’t sound like the Guen he thought she was at all, even so. Lancelot, less sure how far he goes.

They might not have their trust scores go down to 0 - but them not dropping at all would be baffling. Edit: They’ve dropped for less serious things.

Even if there is, she’ll try to fix it over the years because she wants everyone to like her, and she wants them to focus on the good she’s done, not the one person she has executed with their head put on a pike. She doesn’t emphasis not making her mad, she doesn’t want people to need to be worried when talking to her casually, because a casual conversation, or most anything, will not set her off. She would feel misunderstood if they did think that, and if people really didn’t like the head, after a few days (maybe 1 or 2) she’d take it down.

@Elfwine And if it dropped so much they’d stop trusting her and question her character, she’d feel outright betrayed. My Guen doesn’t question them at ALL after the Mordred event. She accepts them at face value and tries to reconcile them both and help them get over it, when she legitimately would have every reason to get mad at both of them. She doesn’t get mad at Lancelot kissing her, and forgives and forgets immediately. She forgives Arthur for his idiocy instantly and doesn’t hold it over him. Despite all of that and years of friendship, if they started questioning all of that, she’d feel personally betrayed, which could legitimately make her into the person they think she is.

@Fallaner

How are innocent decisions that weren’t intended to hurt others (and in the case of Mordred’s conception, are neither of their fault’s) comparable to a deliberate decision to cruelly treat another person?

That is entirely a matter of perspective. To Guen, she could honestly feel betrayed and REALLY hurt by what Arthur and Morgana did, even if its not their fault, and Jean has said we can in fact be mad at them for it. Lance kissing Guen can be viewed as a major transgression. Arthur running off after a clear doppelganger could be seen as a personal insult.

@Elfwine @faewkless I’m curious what the point of this whole argument is. @Fallaner can play ‘Thalia Guen’ the way they want, and the only person who gets a say in how the various characters will react is @jeantown. Reading through the last group of posts, it kinda just sounds like you’re accusing ‘Thalia Guen’ of being a psychopath (with I disagree with for reasons I’ve already brought up). The discussion isn’t really helping anyone, or really has much of a point at all, so can the topic just be dropped?

I agree with @OtherGrimm. I want to know how the people around her would react on Thalia Guen, but I prefer @Jeantown’s answer to a lengthy but pointless discussion.

@OtherGrimm

The point of this is that I think that it would undermine the game for Jean to say that there’s a “bloodthirsty” reputation that would come up from certain actions without actions like what “Thalia Guen” would do to Cordelia counting as exactly what one would think that is supposed to be about, and I think Fallaner arguing for that not counting is more likely to be treated as reasonable if no one disagrees than if it’s disputed.

If tormenting Cordelia to death isn’t bloodthirsty, what is? If that’s not something that would upset those who aren’t as into a cruel revenge as that Guen, why does executing Hrothgar at least risk that? That kind of writing hurts my ability to appreciate the story.

I have no problem with Fallaner playing Thalia Guen a certain way, But being free to play Guen doing X doesn’t mean I don’t have feelings on X or on what other characters in the setting would feel about it.

The way I read it, @Fallaner never said it shouldn’t count - the question was whether that one act, by itself, would be enough to make the ‘bloodthirsty’ reputation skyrocket. It’s a fair question. Of course taking those actions would count towards that attribute, but would it be enough to overwrite everything else Guen has done up until that point? I don’t think it should, but again, that’s up to @jeantown, not us.

And you can have all the feelings you want on the matter, but that doesn’t mean it warrants an ongoing argument on the matter. One post, maybe two, is enough.

I think something that would badly impact the game very much warrants more than “one post, maybe two” and I’m pretty sure nothing in the rules prohibits doing so.

If you disagree, nothing requires you make more than “one, maybe two” posts when you think something is a big deal.

When Cornelia is finally caught and a punishment must be decided will there be a debate on it or will Arthur automatically call for her imprisonment?

Hello, been a while, been really busy, how’s it going people? ;o

Pretty good! There was a debate last night!

I think I saw some of that haha.

okaaaaayyy… not entirely sure how to respond to all of this, but…

If I make a hidden “bloodthirsty” stat that appears when it reaches a certain level, it would need to be built up over time, and one single instance of violence alone wouldn’t be enough to activate it. That’s not to say that people wouldn’t notice if a sweet and kind Guen were suddenly to have an isolated moment of extreme violence – they’d notice, and react accordingly. But one moment does not necessarily a reputation make. Though it might make for a very freaked-out Arthur. :smile:

In my current plan, there won’t be much time for debate… Everyone’s going to be pretty much acting in the moment. I haven’t worked out exactly what the possible options for Cornelia’s ultimate fate might be, though I do have a vague list.

That spoiler tag is broken mommy jeantown.

…You may want to get on that.

Also you aren’t picking any sides in this debate? D:

But yaaaaay! I was correct in saying it wouldn’t make the stat skyrocket! sticks tongue out