Grand Aera Online (WiP) (Updated 3/2/2018)

Well, this certainly was fun.

Also, I find the character’s reaction to being trapped in the body of the opposite sex to be quite funny. Totally worth it.

1 Like

@VioletHikari @Skystalker
Strange, I’ll double check it. The option will be available in the next update. I might have uploaded the wrong build.

@kingzug
Right idea about the classes, but neither of those are the planned Gladiator ascensions. As far as art goes I’m not sure what the forum rules are about them. I’d be fine with some posts, as long as the thread focused on feedback, questions, suggestions, and talking about the game.

@Alexperi
Yup, I uploaded the wrong build. I don’t have the right build anymore since I’ve been sloppy with updating it, but saving will be re-enabled once I get the next update out. Sorry if that caused you issues.

@Willow_Felya_G
I’ll add more body types, I was primarily focused on builds that fit the races as I pictured them first, but there will be more. I might end up remaking that part of character creation and make it more piece-wise - muscle mass, height, weight, etc. That will be toned down, I think it’s remnants of past changes to build descriptions.

@Hearts
Lithe/agile is the plan for all races to have available. Depending on how I decide to do it each race will have a lithe/strength/cha/int body type written. Unless I decide to change character creation.

Update should be out tomorrow or Tuesday. It will be a playtest, not a demo.

8 Likes

This game has a lot of potential. The idea of a game within a game seems really fun. There are some grammar errors here and there, but nothing too bad. Also, I saw the Pokémon reference :wink:

Would your real life persona give you any benefit and drawback in the game world?

Maybe if you picked star athlete, in the beginning, you will have higher strength or if you picked nerd you will have higher intelligence but other then that I don’t think so.

1 Like

Hmm, I also think like that. Maybe charisma boost for the crafty one and wisdom boost for the teacher pet? Don’t know about the quiet one and the average student though…

1 Like

I actually really like the character creation you have here.

I would also like to know if personality, or real life persona as someone called it, contributes to anything besides stats.

1 Like

@DancingInTheRain279
Thank you, I’m happy you enjoyed it. I’ll be sure to try and weed out some of those grammar errors.

@LivingSilver
There are some stats that change. One of the plotlines also revolves around RL vs MMO choices.

@Alexperi
You guessed it pretty well.

@Scorpio00
Thanks. The choices in the beginning will matter in some of the plots. Smaller things like hairstyle might not really effect anything though.

Playtest update out! This update adds a new scene at the river as well as a ton of back-end systems. Random item generation is implemented, and basic inventory. The new class arbiter is also introduced. Build variety has been added. Please test the item randomization since it’s bound to have bugs. Stats screen will only appear after a certain point in the game. I’ll try to update rapidly as bugs are found on the playtest.

As always all feedback is greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

13 Likes

I am have a great day and this made it even better

createitem line 166: variable “armorchance” exists but has no value.

Going to the stats screen and back apparently fixes this. That’s new for me.

I went into the inventory. I got a goat’s plate gloves, and a bunch of null place holders.

I’m sure you are already aware of this or going to change it but after the old lady shows up on the road, I chose to run away and ended up at the river. Next scene is an exact repeat of the old lady showing up again. I actually laughed at first because I thought she just followed me but then realized it’s the exact same dialogue. Might have been funny if she said something like “looks like you’re still lost girl” and if my character responded “jeez, just go away, you creepy old hag”. Haha anyway, great demo. I actually don’t have any complaints so far.

One question though, is there any chance we can find out the classes of the other characters we will be meeting? Because that would go a long way in determining mine and Ash’s class (creating a well rounded team). I understand if you haven’t gotten that far yet but perhaps that can be something you share with us in the future.

Awesome job! :+1:

2 Likes

Who else want to have a bro like relationship with Brandon character just for the strangeness of the situation

2 Likes

i don’t know if i’m just overlooking something or not, but i can’t get past the forest at all. no matter what i do i always die. i’m playing a priest if that matters at all

When you choose to read info about the classes, once you choose arbiter it progresses the story even if you did not choose to. The next part of the story, where you comment on the renaming of the races, it could use a linebreak or two, or even a pagebreak. Because as it is, it looks off. Granted this is with the unintended(?) story progression on arbiter.

1 Like

Hotfixed the bugs found so far. Thanks everyone.

@RagEgnite
Fixed. Probably. Thanks for finding it.

@PhilosoTor
Fixed. The cause was a label loop. Sorry about that, it wasn’t intentional.

@Otaku_King
Fixed. Forgot to add a jump there.

1 Like

Can you add a “class-clown”/“jester” archetype for student MC, which will increase the suave/charisma?

4 Likes

I love the concept of the story so far :smiley:

Loved the game’s concept! Really reminds me of SAO :grin:
Found this in the playtest:

I chose a male aeran and my class was arbiter. My build was the third option (tall and muscular, with feminine features due to race)

You’ve certainly grabbed my attention with the Demo. I like where this is going so far. I look forward to seeing where you go with it! I’ll have to check out the Play test link later and see if I find anything.

Good luck!

@AmericanShakespeare
Added. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Bae_Junhong
Fixed. Sorry about that.

@Kanaya @Mrxanite
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

2 Likes