Gladiator: Road to the Colosseum (Out Now!)

Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeply disappointed.:slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face::slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

It was kinda expected thoughā€¦didnā€™t it get delayed in December too?

2 Likes

Although we are all disappointed by the delay, letā€™s stop with disappointed post and perhaps like @spunkycatninja mention, discuss what kind of MC we plan to do in our first playthrough?

Itā€™s been a while since I last played but iirc, Greek and an intellectual. Perhaps time to do another run.

4 Likes

Nope. That was Dragon Racer.

@idonotlikeusernames @Fay I think we can consider the delay of this game and Keeper of The Sun and Moon a good thing. Remember Wayhaven Chronicles? How much it got delayed and the fact that it is one of the most popular CoGs/HGs now.

I did choose the Egyptian origin when I played the demo and I think Iā€™ll stick with that.

5 Likes

The Greek origin.

2 Likes

I like the Egyptian merchant origin

4 Likes

Iā€™ll play as a Gaulish noble. Iā€™ll get strength first and choose intellect comes with Latin and Gaulish (written and spoken)

3 Likes

Hey everyone, so theyā€™ve really pushed back the publication date and I can understand everyoneā€™s disappointment, but Iā€™m sure CoG would have their own reasons, and Iā€™m more than grateful for all of your patience thus far! Thank you so much!!

@Steveth
Thank you! Iā€™m really glad to have gotten this out too :smile: Hope you enjoyed it!!

@Taylor_Enean
Given the number of people on the forum asking for steam releases, there might be other considerations that we might not be privy too as well. But yes, Iā€™ll definitely be excited to see this on steam for you guys!

@idonotlikeusernames you mod the games as well? What do you change though! Also, whatā€™s this keeper game everyone keeps talking about? Time for me to crawl out of my hole and play this.

I suppose with multiple releases, thereā€™s a chance of cannibalization as players are given alternatives, which might mean that they could do better if released individually! (just speculation of course). I also find your abhorrence of apple thoroughly amusing hahahaha, is it just the interface? or the difficulty of publishing on their channels?

@ClaimedMinotaur

This cracked me up hahaha

@spunkycatninja

No wayā€¦ arenā€™t you the editor working w/ seraphinite on wayhaven book 2? gasp Thank you so much for your kind words!!!

@Harroc

Ahh good to know, thank you!!

@DontJudge

Yes, unfortunately, but well on the bright side, I now get the honour of kickstarting 2019 off hehehehe

6 Likes

@resuri08
And I was just enjoying seeing the diverse timezones represented on hereā€¦ hahaha thanks for getting the thread back on track! :smile:

@Jay_Tarrant
Wow truly living life on hard mode going for a non-strength build in a Gladiator game. Why would being rich be a handicap though! And what do you mean by ā€˜correctā€™ action hahahaha

@everyone
I actually normally opt for random creation most times hahaha. I didnā€™t realize everyone went for such diverse origins! Do yā€™all feel like certain race/builds give a larger advantage over others?

Also, shameless plug and sorry for the spam (for those who already know) but Iā€™m trying out this community Letā€™s Play experiment on social media (mainly Instagram) and itā€™s been a fun few days! Do check it out and give it a follow! (hopefully it whets your appetites till the 17th, or whenever!!!)

After this Iā€™d probably want to focus on giving updates on ā€œSir Yes Sir!ā€ via socials - a long forgotten WiP that Iā€™ve been chipping away at and I should definitely get back to >.< Hereā€™s a sneak peak to make up for everyoneā€™s disappointment!!! (Iā€™m experimenting with a coarser, more vulger/visceral style soā€¦ pardon my language!)

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whatthefoong/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/what.the.foong/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/WhatTheFoong

7 Likes

Yep, probably not that clever in the long run but it is very funny that though my character is horrible at fighting, they have pretty much mastered the art of war :grin:.

I like a more strategic, clever build. I was not saying that being rich is a handicap, just that focusing on learning is. Though I can see the confusion. Furthermore I interpret the ability to hire bodyguards as reducing ones skill or desire to fight.

By correct action, I mean that in some fights there are obvious advantages you can gain. Fighting with the sun to your back is a correct action, ducking a kick from your friend is not. But backing away is. Some are dependent on defensive stats like leadership or intelligence though. Then there are choices that match your offensive/fighting stats like agility, strength, etc. Choosing those options in a fight will, for the most part, help your character. I focused on leadership, agility, and intelligence and was able to ace the fights that I took part in. Though I did not play that far through, I wanted to wait for the full release so that I was not aching to find out what happened next.

In answer to whether some builds are better than others, it depends on whether your life is randomised, chosen, and what choices were made. I think they are probably all equal.

1 Like

Race should of been nationality since back then race wasnā€™t really a thing.

1 Like

I always choose a Greek noble, because it allows the min-maxer in me to have an MC who is balanced in all stats and speaks Latin

1 Like

Depends, mostly little tweaks to stat balance. My most extensive mod to date has been for XoR, where Iā€™ve made it possible for myself to obtain both male Breden and Simon. I have also, in the past corrected instances where my mc got misgendered in dialogue, without needing to wait for an official patch to pushed through.
Still, not being able to change anything at all on the website version, nor being able to play offline, as well as the fact that with the website version I have to finish a game in one sitting or lose my progress (which is pretty much going to limit my opportunities to play to the weekends) are all going to be frustrating, but not half as frustrating as ā€œmobileā€ gaming would be.

Keeper of the Sun and Moon. A magical university (not highschool for once and the mc is a young adult) game with lots of cute roā€™s. The Hosted Game slated to be released after Gladiator.

I think I may have already commented on this before, but what the heck. Greek, male and poor for me. And determined to get his revenge on that Kraterous brat! :persevere:

3 Likes

Egyptian. Thereā€™s no real reason behind other than because Iā€™m Egyptian, so I instinctively chose that race.

As for class, noble. I feel like that would allow for the most character growth, to be honest. Poor MCā€™s are probably already accustomed to the shitty conditions of slavery and the middle class can somewhat manage with it. But for a high ranking noble to be stripped from all of his fortune and glory and get demoted to a common slave? Now thatā€™s something I can work with.

5 Likes

Am I the only one here who plays as someone from Gaul? :joy:

1 Like

I donā€™t play as the child of a Egyptian merchant for stats, thought it helps because you learn different languages, but mostly because i enjoy this background more than the others, i still havenā€™t played as a poor Egyptian and have no interest in playing as a rich one.

1 Like

is only me that have lost a lot of interest in choice of games lately?
I mean last year almost not buyed anything from cog label, and this year is looking also more interesting Hosted games than cog (so far only exiled of gods and tale of two crane are appealing to me) while in hosted there is going to be a lot of games like gladiator, keeper, dragon racerā€¦ and who knows how many wips i already have read will make it before this year endsā€¦ :smirk:

2 Likes

i play gaulish poor boy

4 Likes

Egypt is cool, but also sadly quite anti-gay these days.

I disagree. While the poor mcā€™s may already be accustomed to not getting respect and shitty conditions, what even they are not accustomed to is the level of unfreedom and brutality that comes with being a gladiator slave. Ironically, with a decent master being a farm or plantation slave was probably a step up in order of food and security, though not freedom. Being forced into becoming a gladiator slave definitely makes it worse as it is a life of violence that one can expect to be short, without the usual ā€œrewardsā€ of being in an army or bandit gang (loot, pillage, rape). Even if the mc comes out of being a gladiator alive, theyā€™ll likely have suffered an incredible amount of trauma, both physical and mental.
Also depending on how closely @nauhziy chooses to adhere to the historical manumission our poor mcā€™s may find that even manumission from being a gladiator slave isnā€™t worth all that much and in some ways being manumitted as dediticii was much worse than still being a slave.
Therefore if this game has manumission I hope it is the Ben hur type, whereby the mcā€™s actually become Roman citizens and not persons deemed too legally incompetent to even engage in contracts or designate their own heirs.

The one historical exception to that was catching the eye of and being freed by the Emperor, who could basically make up any legal conditions and pretexts he wanted, including ā€œcustomā€ conditions and rights for manumission. But then catching the eye of the Roman Emperor, assuming this is set in Imperial times carries with it many dangers of its own. As being tied to the emperor as your ā€œpatronā€ after manumission was many times more dangerous then having virtually anybody else as a patron. Also more potentially rewarding, to be fair. But then to enjoy the rewards one needed to be alive in the first place.

3 Likes

@nauhziy
In chapter 1, playing as a Gaul, in a Noble family.

enjoying a lavish spread of cured ham, meats, honey and vegetable

Vegetables

ā€œPoliteā€¦ good boy. Let me introduceā€¦ this is Roman lashā€¦ You barbarianā€¦ do badā€¦ Roman lash hit youā€

Add a full stop after the bolded word.

1 Like