Ghost Simulator [published]

I think you need Possession, yes. Make sure not to scare her away first, though!

1 Like

Okay then that’s well and good but how can they rashanleise aperation and whisper powers if used together? Or when also combined with poltigist?

Eg: makeing the cutlery dance before the family eats dinner, for a humorous example

3 Likes

I assume the rationalization there would be “I’m losing my mind/hallucinating” which would keep the skepticism high? Something along those lines, that certainly seems to be Samantha’s coping mechanism. I also think something like those sorts of combo moves (lol) just would be harder to rationalize or would increase Belief, not quite the same as just using Whisper or Apparition alone.

8 Likes

Love the Wip

3 Likes

@Nerull
In chapter 1. Visiting Sam’s room.

“Your marriage… in is danger…” (Whisper)

Is in

4 Likes

This is really good, keep up the great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Luv playing through the story so far​:ok_hand:. but curious, is there going 2 b any action or romance in future development :thinking:

1 Like

They, too, have taste

2 Likes

So… I just want to say I’m obsessed with this story so far … I hope you keep up the fantastic work… ^-^

5 Likes

NaNoWriMo 2019 PWND.

Ghost Simulator is a project that began on November 1st. Today, I reached the 50k words mark. It’s officially a wrap for NaNoWriMo 2019.

I originally planned to write a rather short game (about 50-60k words). However… I’m already at 50-something thousand words, and I am still writing stuff in Chapter 2 (out of 5).

I must say: a big, sincere, and above all spooky thank you all for the support. It really motivates me to see that people are enjoying the project so much. I hope to keep meeting your expectations, and I try to acknowledge as many of your suggestions as possible.

That said: the next update comes out tomorrow. A few spoilers about it, for those who are feeling like it:

— Laura shows up in the manor. Also, there is a specific pathway in which she agrees to sleep over.
— It will be possible to use Dreamwalk on Samantha. There will be a considerable number of Dreamwalk instances, too, to make up for the first part of the chapter.
— New combos, such as making the person sleepwalk around the house (Dreamwalk + Possession)

@ChibiKittens

Um… yeah… I mean… it was a reference… :sweat_smile:
Hahah nah, to be frank, I didn’t think of Boxy as a Danny Phantom reference (even though I did watch Danny Phantom!). But so glad that you liked it! I try to come up with some silly choices now and then, like that of possessing Ollie to see if ghosts can get high too.

@RedRoses

Do you mean the first or the second time? Because you can find Samantha in her office twice in Chapter 1. Or do you mean when you first meet her in Chapter 2—outside her office, though?

As @ChibiKittens correctly explained, you need to possess Amber to do that. This is only possible if you haven’t spooked her out of the attic (either at the end of Chapter 1 or at the beginning of Chapter 2).
The letter will be accessible later in the game again, though. This is only a “specific shortcut” to it.

@Dragongodess
The Brooks show different coping mechanisms, and it depends a lot on how you use your powers.

Apparition is a power which tends to increase Terror/Belief faster than other abilities, due to its nature. It can be easy to tell yourself that you just had a bad dream, of that it was the rain hitting the windows instead of a ghostly whisper… but it is quite hard to deny that you just saw a person in front of you.

@hotmess.exe
That’s all correct. “Combos” (especially those involving Apparition) tend to cause higher Terror and Belief levels depending on how they are used.

Also, I’d say that there are “three power tiers” in regard to fear:

Subtle (tend to induce little or no Terror/Belief on most occasions): Possession.
Potentially Scary (can raise Terror/Belief depending on the circumstances): Poltergeist, Dreamwalk, Whisper.
Definitely Scary (shoot up Terror/Belief on most occasions): Apparition.

@Bugreporter
Thanks again! It will be fixed by the next update.

@LordLYR
There will be action AND romance, oh yes :sunglasses:

29 Likes

It’s funny that my normal power list is all potentially scary powers, although I think it’s hard not to increase Belief without increasing fear.

My sprit can’t exist with out the whisper power or pultergist for that matter I’ll get VERY lonely very quickly and I hate being alone. As for puligist I need to be able to touch things! And to interact with the world! I think I’ll go mad other wise.

Also is it possible for animals to become spirits like the MC? I want an undead puppy dog! Or undead cat. I just really want a goust pet!

8 Likes

I don’t know if there will be any opportunities for the family to find out about your past, but I think it would be nice if Amber was excited or interested to find out the ghost was gay. (Going from personal gay experience of scrolling desperately to the ‘Personal Life’ section of any historical figure I think could conceivably have been gay.)

11 Likes

OOO update tomorrow!! I can’t wait, especially not after reading those spoilers ahhhh I can never help myself lmao

1 Like

Never thought I would want to play as a ghost in an IF.

Anyways, good luck :+1:

2 Likes

Listen up folks I got a huge gay crush on Samantha and I will spook Michael to death

8 Likes

November 30 update: new Chapter 2 scenes

Chapter 2 is still not fully available (even though it is already considerably bigger than Chapter 1). I want it to be as “branchy” as possible, thus I am still creating alternative pathways and working on the last “hub scene” (those in which you can visit many rooms after another).

As always, the first playable versions of each scene tend to be a bit rough in the sense that they don’t have a multitude of options. Please feel free to suggest things like “I’d want to do X during scene Y”.

@Dragongodess
About animals… perhaps! I’m not sure if I will address ghost animals in this particular game yet.

21 Likes

I Have an Idea. How about, sometime, they are gonna take a family photo in the house, And you can be on it? If you have apparition.

12 Likes

Ahhh I love the update! So exciting to be able to make Michael sleepwalk, it was exactly as I had imagined it would go, with the exception of Samantha being present. I’m glad for it though, cause it’s like a 2-for-1 spooks deal!. And all these other possible interactions are just neat!
I already love Laura, she’s a cinnamon roll and I will aid her like I aid the rest of the family <3 Is it just me or is she more superstitious than Amber? One whisper is enough to send her running…even the friendly one, it broke my heart I’ll tell you
The dreamwalking scenarios are really interesting too! Though morally harder to decide on a decision at times, such with Ollie’s dream of game-making or something more traditional, more reliable, and Samantha’s. It’s a debate having her choose to go either up or down the staircase, to her dream or to her family. I chose her family at first (how to make someone choose either family or passion?? Very hard, very hard), though felt so bad when I noticed it made her feel uneasy… she’s so easy to fret and make fearful, I still wish to apologize to her D:

And for a split second I forgot it was still the 2nd chapter and damn near had a heart attack hearing Ollie, Amber, and Laura return from some party. You know, when it says there’s a cars engine running outside the house, or something similar. For a full second I thought we somehow time-jumped to when the breakin would occur! Not that I’m not 100% ready to get my ghost on and scare the hell out of any house-invaders, I suppose I was just…spooked, for lack of a better word XD Have I mentioned the breakin-chapter is the one I most anticipate?? Because I already got my ghost wails and ghost knives at the ready for these suckers!!

7 Likes

how I see myself when I play this

anyone else?

16 Likes

Oh yes, I can see my mc doing this .

2 Likes