Ghost Simulator (WIP / last update July 5)

Love yer work. I have small scene idea. Ghost possesses somebody, but let them be conscious. And what ever you do they see, hear and feel it.

Hey, folks,

Just to say that, unlike the MC, I’m not dead.

I’m working with a pixel artist to come up with the character portraits. My idea is to present three portrait variations for each family member:

Normal / Frightened / Horrified

These portraits will show up on the Show Stats menu, and the corresponding portrait will appear depending on the character’s Terror level.

So far, I will give you the first drafts of Ollie and Michael:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-26 at 08.02.36

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-23 at 23.28.36

These are not the final drafts. The pixel artist is currently working on Samantha and Amber, and as soon as we approve all of them, she will work on the final versions.

What do you think?

I know I owe you all an update, and I intend to post it soon!

53 Likes

They look great can’t wait to see Samantha and Amber

2 Likes

I’m getting Junji Ito vibes from these. Nice.

8 Likes

I LOVE the portraits and I feel the black/white, as well as the pixelated style, really works for the genre/plot of Ghost Simulator. I can’t wait to see what the final pictures look like because I already love how they look now <3

2 Likes

Really love the portraits. Can’t wait for Sam and Amber!

Summary

Should be Ollie

1 Like

As I read this description, all I could think about was Casper the friendly ghost.

4 Likes

Hey, folks.

The pixel artist who is working with me is having some trouble regarding access to the internet. Also, she does not know how long it will take her until she get this fixed. She took photos of the current drafts and sent them to me, and since these are not the final versions, I will post it here now:

Amber:

Samantha:

Sorry for the quality–I will update it as soon as I receive the actual portraits. What do you think?

@Red_Eyes
Funny that you mentioned it because as we were discussing the “tone” of the portraits, I told her I would like something that resembled World of Horror. Have you played it?

@Umbreonpanda
Thanks for spotting these errors! I will have them fixed.

Also, for those of you who want to keep in touch with me during the development of the last chapters, please join the Ghost Simulator Discord channel. I promise it won’t be (too) scary.

27 Likes

I loved it so far.

1 Like

Did the person draw these? Also that’s not how I was imagining them but especially the parents

1 Like

Ghostly fellows,

I just updated the WIP with the new character portraits. I didn’t add further accessible content now, but I would please ask you to test if the portraits are working appropriately. (And, of course, if you liked them.)

(To test the different portraits quickly, you can change the Terror levels through the cheat menu.)

I am also aware of the fact that many players want freedom to imagine the characters in their own way, and thus the portraits could interfere with this immersion. For the final version, I intend to allow players to decide if they want the portraits to feature on the Show Stats menu or not. Either way, I avoid specific descriptions of the characters in-game.

Here are the 12 portraits, 3 for each family member:

Amber Brooks
01Amber 02Amber 03Amber

Samantha Brooks
01Samantha 02Samantha 03Samantha

Oliver Brooks
01Oliver 02Oliver 03Oliver

Michael Brooks
01Michael 02Michael 03Michael

37 Likes

Did you remove “god” mode?

1 Like

Hey, love the WIP so far! I’ve been having a lot of fun with it.

On the stats screen, Michael always has two portraits shown for me. Also, in Chapter 3 when the party is starting, I am unable to continue playing when Ollie and his friends are getting ready to go upstairs to use the Ouija board. The error that dashingdon returns is: "chapter3 line 4840: Non-existent variable ‘trifork’ ". I briefly looked at your code and I think you’re just missing trifork in the startup page or you didn’t make it a temp variable in the chapter3 file, but I could be wrong.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to this one coming out!

1 Like

i just wanted to say that i tried it and its amazing, i need more, and the author is doing great

1 Like

The cheat that allowed all ghost abilities to be used was removed right? A pity, to be honest.

Other than that I have absolutely zero complaints, I’ve been loving every single paragraph so far.