Ghost Simulator [published]

I’m also waiting for more helpful and destructive/violent options. We have the means with some of these abilities. You can straight up tell Sam to jump out the window at one point.

1 Like

If we really wanted that poltergeist might come in handy. Not that i want to kill Sam. my main playthrough my goal is.

Get Laura and Amber together.
Get Sam published and also to view me as a friend who can annoy you or help you depending on my mood.
Get the dad addicted and end his marriage.
Ollie: To be determined. I have tried breaking them up and helping get closer not sure which will be canon.

3 Likes

My first playthrough I’m playing as an evil poltergeist to see how far I can break them all. So far I have:

Driven Sam into near insanity where everyone is questioning her mental state
Pushed Michael to cheat and question everything Sam does as well as feel like shit in the marriage
Ollie is straight up terrified and I pushed his relationship to be on the rocks where she believes he is cheating on her.
Amber is on the same level as terror as Ollie and feels like shit.

5 Likes

January 15 update: Ollie’s interlude, Amber’s interlude

@CaesarCzech
Well, you can do some nasty things as a mischievous spirit. Tearing down someone’s sanity, for instance. Also, there will be specific ending sequences achievable only if you play an evil ghost.

@Bugreporter
Thank you so! I confess that I wouldn’t have spotted this.

@Keeperixx
After giving it some thought, I intend to keep the cheat menu in the final version, yes. In my mind, the player should decide how to play the game. If players wish to play the game this way, I won’t intervene.

@Jeruspi
Haha even though Ghost Simulator does feature some (sometimes implicit) sex scenes, I don’t intend to, say, turn it into an adult story. I won’t submit it to Heart’s Choice :sweat_smile:

@Umbreonpanda
Thank you! I think I fixed it all. :smiley:

I’m sorry if I forgot to answer someone in specific. If that is the case, please feel free to drop me a message. And thank you all again for the support!

10 Likes
I don't have dreamwalk as a power

3 Likes

@Ninja1

Oh, these missed selectable_if codes keep haunting me. Fixed!

4 Likes

I loved the demo for this game! I’m running out of time tonight, but you can bet that tomorrow I will be replaying like crazy! I can not describe how much I loved this game. I recently watched the haunting of hill house, and this is just what I needed. @Nerull truly an amazing story you are working on here, can’t believe I hadn’t read it till today. Awesome! Good luck with the rest of the story! (And make it extra long pretty please :pleading_face::blush:)
Side note: Is there romance in this game, and if so, who are the options? I really hope there is, all the characters felt deep and intriguing to me in their own way.

3 Likes

Ok kind of weird how some of the scares and actions don’t seem to have an affect at all (playing through this again, the scenes where you first meet Sam and Amber are from a narrative perspective the same, example with Sam because it happens to her more then then others except for maybe the scene with Sam and Michael in their bedroom, where even though I used Ghost whisper to say various different things, it all defaults to her acting as if it was Ollie or Amber pulling a prank in on her even though I used different dialouge options. (I hope I’m making sense.)

The other two were when Sam and Michael are together in her office and I used various different options poltergeist, apparition and whisper yet nothing that I did changed what they were doing next. The stats changed accordingly but I just don’t see any visible difference from all the options I’ve picked before hand.

They give a short reaction to what I do (which sometimes is a bit underwhelming with a big shoutout to the option of just appearing in their seat and frankly telling them to fuck off out of your house), but then revert to what they’ve done before I’ve picked the choice, holding each other and showing no sign that anything is different.

That becomes more glaring later on when Sam is about to fall due to a scare and no matter what she either falls down to the ground either hard or a bit less hard. The stats change but the written consequences show so little varitety that it all feels a tad bit underwhelming to me. I hope I managed to explain myself succiently enough.

edit: Also found an error

Blockquote Michael shrugs. “She locks himself in that office. She doesn’t sleep with me no more. When I wake up to go to work, she had just started to sleep. Sex is becoming, like, a monthly thing, if it ever happens at all. It’s like… it’s like her book is more important than her family, now.”

the mixing up of “him” and “her” happens a bit frequently through the chapters. At least in this playthrough.

3 Likes

@Nerull
In chapter 3. The choice: “Open the window and throw the syringe away.” Needs *set hydromorphone false added to it.

1 Like

Boo, motherfucker best line so far.

18 Likes

This guy gets it ^

5 Likes

I wonder if the characters have any faceclaims?

1 Like

It was made for a game jam. The devs didn’t intend to release it, but the public demand was overwhelming, so they gave it a little polish and put it out in its current form. Definitely not a cash grab.

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

6 Likes

Some things I noticed in the recent update:

1. When I talk to Amber with whispers I can only end the conversation with “get out I live here” or “I will kill you all” is that how it’s supposed to be cus “I can help” seemed like a good way to end the conversation (at least when I read it).

2. When I posses Ollie I try to ask “what will you wear to the party” and nothing comes up besides the remaining choices.

Good update aside though, can’t wait for the Halloween party. :+1:

5 Likes

how its that?

February 12 update: new Chapter 2 ending pathway, new Chapter 3 scenes

First of all, sorry for the late update. I will try my best to go back to the weekly update routine.

@Chopper
So far, regarding ROs:

Lily and William Edgeworth are the original ROs, and the first draft will probably only contemplate them. When I write the second draft (that is, when the first one is finished already), I may add some pathways in which the MC can deepen their relationship with the Brooks… so to say.

@MasterChief117John
Hey, thanks for the feedback! Addressing some of your points:

It is not weird, I’d say. Off the top of my head, I can name at least a dozen occasions where some scares lead only to “immediate” reactions without further acknowledgment.

I wrote about this somewhere in this thread. The game is in its unfinished first draft, so there are some passages when I go like “OK, it would be cool if this led to a sub-pathway, but I’ll leave this to later”. I feel it might not be effective to exhaust every pathway and choice when you still don’t have the “core” of the game written down.

So, yes, I totally agree that there are some scares and actions that feel useless. When I finish the first draft, I will then go back to the beginning and work on alternative pathways.

This is a timely remark because this choice has an important consequence indeed:

If you do nothing, and both Samantha and the painting fall down, then Amber shows up after hearing the loud noises. Then, also depending on your actions, Amber can descend into the crypt with Samantha. This leads to consequences in Chapter 3, too.

As I just wrote, I left this out of the first draft of this scene because it wasn’t a “core” pathway. It was a cool idea, an interesting event, but it wasn’t vital to the first draft. With the most recent update, it is now playable.

I think you did! I know how frustrating it can be when a game tricks you with “false” options. I really don’t want Ghost Simulator to be like this. But many of these multi-branching features will only show up from the second draft onwards. Right now, my main focus is to finish the story.

A friend of mine, @MahatmaDagon, author of The War for The West and with whom I’m developing The Vampire Regent, wrote about this feeling of “not being in control of the story” that you just mentioned.

You can read his post here.

:sweat_smile:

I just wrote this down so I won’t forget it. I will try to fix at least some of these instances by the next update. Thank you!

@Bugreporter
Thank you! Fixed.

@Cerbeck
Well… yes and no. I’m actually considering hiring an artist to draw portraits of the Brooks with variations according to their Terror levels. These portraits would then show up in the stats menu. That is:

• Samantha’s regular portrait
  • Samantha’s portrait a bit distressed (say, Terror > 30%)
  • Samantha’s portrait scared to death (Terror > 80%, for example)

And so on.

@Gamer4
Oh, mistakes and mistakes!

I will see this fixed by the next update. Thanks!

18 Likes

I have nothing useful to say, but I want to let it be known that I like this WIP very much.

8 Likes

Things that lacked from this wip were those dirty things that I could do while I was an invisible creature
HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE
…okay, sorry

I didn’t know if became a ghost was this fun. Hope this would get released soon! :heart:

1 Like

@Nerull
In chapter 3.

Show up by the bed, offering your hand. “This is how I look like. And I will help you.” (Apparition)

What

The code for the italics is visible in game.

The option: “Disturb Ollie’s sleep throughout the night.”
Is selectable even though poltergeist is not one of my powers.

The above option needs: *selectable_if (poltergeist) added to it.

Search for your Your bones..

Remove the bolded word and full stop.

The Your bones. is still hidden inside the wooden box.

Change the sentence to:

Your bones are still hidden inside the wooden box.

Inside, she drops the photograph oh her desk.

On

Under label samanthaChat . In the choice: “Finish interacting with her.”

After the whispers cease, Samantha studies the room with the

The end of the sentence is missing.

impossible to define what lies beyond the door without any sort of lightning

Lighting

2 Likes