Gender-locking ROs, gender flipping, and importance of gender in relationships

[quote=“poison_mara, post:198, topic:23002, full:true”]
Iron bull for me is not a romance he tries to forced me to be his sex slave in his fetish kingdom so nope… And Black wall is ugly as hell [/quote]

Well the wonderful thing about being a straight female in DA3 is that if you didn’t like 2 of the romance options, you still had 2 more you did like. If anyone else who wasn’t bi/pan didn’t like two of the options, they had nothing left.

This was precisely my issue with Isabella in DA2 where I didn’t like either of the two options available.

The god child was a big deal about nothing. I’d gladly trade you the god-baby for the throne of Ferelden. :stuck_out_tongue: Bioware killed the entire god baby plot without it having gone anywhere in Inquisition.

No he couldn’t. He was made “prince-consort”, and Anora makes it very clear that he isn’t the one ruling, she is. Contrast that with Alistair who not only makes his wife queen, but also let’s her rule, either by his side, or by herself, whichever she prefers.

Frankly, as far as romances are concerned, I think straight females have the advantage. Straight males are thought to be more concerned with action and game-play, and there is still the sentiment that any straight male who cares about romances in games must not be getting laid in RL. OTOH, by adding more romances for straight women, Bioware likely thought it could increase its share of female gamers.

2 Likes

So you never had the more hilarious portion where you put the condom on the banana? Or the homework assignment where the boys had to go buy a pack of the things? (or those who had dad’s or older brothers could presumably just swipe a pack, having only I single mom I actually had to do it).

Oh, no I’ve done it again haven’t I please forgive me pretty please, both of you. :sweat_smile:

I believe today we do too, actually I think we were supposed to have them too, only the administration didn’t order them in time. So only our teacher actually had one. Maybe the faculty swiped the rest, now that I think of it.

Well it was still the 90’s back then. Like I said today they’re much more advanced about it and using way more complicated charts that would probably satisfy even Laguz.

You philistine! :scream::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Well technically I was taught British English in high-school and college, but I’ve picked up a few bad habits myself since. Doesn’t help that the spellcheck, such as it is here, seems to run on 'Murican English.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much of a chance that incoming (vice) president Pence and his Republican cohorts are going to be improving American education on the subject anytime soon. :unamused:

2 Likes

Bananas? We had a dildo lol… And you Holand are the sex freely people?. Here know they aren give you free china. Balls to try out. No kidding because they are unisex. Maybe we are too much?

nuns probably try to burned ours after checking them… Hypocritals…

1 Like

ftfy
*Good habits

2 Likes

Can you take the Dragon Age discussion to the Dragon Age thread please.

1 Like

I did! Illicitly! One of my classmates came in to volunteer to do the demonstration, and the teachers all stepped out of the room so they could pretend they didn’t know it was happening :grin:

I will if he will :grin: but you may have to write an essay explaining the differences between us :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Like Klein Sexual Orientation Grid - Wikipedia? Or NO MORE CUBES: Depicting Attraction with a Radar Chart - Asexual Musings and Rantings - Asexual Visibility and Education Network? Or do you know of any additional alternatives?

I must fill out these grids and charts for all my characters now :persevere:

3 Likes

I was in UK school post-2003 and I still don’t remember homosexuality being mentioned past a vague ‘yeah that exists’ (bi- and asexuality didn’t even get that much). Though I think most of our sex-ed was focused on ‘here are all the types of protection you can use and here are all the nasty diseases you will get if you don’t’.

Ugh, sometimes “freedom of religion” goes a bit overboard, sorry you had to suffer through that Mara.

Well even our teacher liked to play up the “fear factor”. Of course the text-book was more factual about the numbers, if one cared to read the footnotes.

Well you’re a young, wild and out-of-control gun toting 'Murican and he’s an (older, presumably) phlegmatic Brit who probably suffers under the UK’s bad dental care. You have to suffer Trump he has to suffer the UK’s Royal Family and its “nasty party”, including PM May, oh and also Brexit, phew I’m going to have to use a spreadsheet at this rate. :sweat_smile:
Oh yeah probably the biggest one for this site, he writes superhero/villain stuff while you write grand GoT-esque fantasy worlds.

Awww, I think it’s cute, but it probably wouldn’t be dry and academic enough for Dutch schools, as here, while informative it also has to be as dull as possible.

3 Likes

This one caused quite a stir when used in a US school in the state of Oregon:

2 Likes

I think it comes from a story where a guy was told to sleep with his dead brother’s wife and get her pregnant (because of laws of property inheritance) by God and he pulled out? Then Catholics interpreted that as masturbation. Don’t quote me on that.

1 Like

No idea they never explained anything. To any logical question only response was MISTERY OF GOD… And Catholic at least accept Big bang and Darwin’s evolutionary theory and vacines…

1 Like

From what I understand, that Old Testament passage to which @Dark_Stalker refers, Genesis 38:6-10 , was indeed a major reason why the “traditional” opposition to masterbation began. The modern RC church however doesn’t get into the details when it cites “tradition” as its second reason why masterbation is a sin. The primary reason according to the Catechism however is listed as:

“Lust is disordered desire for or inordinate enjoyment of sexual pleasure. Sexual pleasure is morally disordered when sought for itself, isolated from its procreative and unitive purposes.”

Basically it’s an extension of the exact same reasoning they use against birth control, and is considered “an offense against chastity”.

3 Likes

It’s been updated to a version 3 now. But

https://storify.com/cisnormativity/the-genderbread-plagiarist

2 Likes

Doing some research for your own work(s) and world(s)? I’d get lazy and just add -consort to the highest title for both genders. So if a man marries a princess that’d be prince-consort.

1 Like

Consort sounds like some type of concubine lol. I will go with an original title. Like supreme lord ord supreme lady or maybe Queen of hearts King of hearts… THAT WAYI COULD BEHEADING PEOPLE!!

[quote=“tw1stedmind, post:144, topic:23002”]
Take a look at the CoG game design guidelines
[/quote] Writing for HG, not CoG. That said:

The note on ‘questioning’ is ‘questioning’ within the context of the story, not I’m questioning. I know exactly what they’re interested in, it’s her that doesn’t know. If you can’t romance a woman because she’s also interested in women, then yea, no ‘normal’ romances. Same way if you’re a straight woman. The only main male romance is blatantly bi.

Noteworthy that I tend to define my characters w/r/t internal matters as I believe that they would define (and present) themselves. So if I say ‘they’re gay but they also like women’ I (as the writer) see it as ‘well they’re some flavor of poly, and are attracted to these features, and not afraid to define themselves as this, but don’t like defining themselves as that’, but in character I believe they would say ‘I’m gay but I also like women’, so that’s what I call them.

[quote=“Laguz, post:126, topic:23002”]
Hey Reap, speaking of, you got any nbs in that game?
[/quote]None of the main characters are (at the moment). If I do, the only character I feel really works as NB is the asexual romance, and making the NB also be ace feels, token. (Plus I feel like it loses some of her backstory). That said, am including a number secondary NB characters. And there is an author insert w/r/t, because I’m a hack (No it’s not a surprise, but I want to curate some genuine opinions on the characters hence anyone that doesn’t catch that I don’t want to think to hard about it). And so it’s either pack it even more (which I don’t want to do because I believe I’m already on the edge of accessibility), or skimp somewhere.

On a related note though, I do want a few people’s opinion w/r/t NBs at some point. (I’m going with a Sci-fi story which uses neopronouns and curbs the AI pronouns from Robots.)

[quote=“poison_mara, post:149, topic:23002”]
But then what option a straight woman has a boy just one romantic option.
[/quote]Eh, I have reasons for the imbalance. Not good reasons mind you, mostly I cut characters from a bloated listed and this is what’s left. But there are other reasons.

[quote=“Dark_Stalker, post:163, topic:23002”]
Isn’t 47 ace?
[/quote]Not as far as I know. He’s not interested in sex, but it’s more running joke than inclusivity (at least in the games). He’s heavily asocial, but not asexual as far as I know.

4 Likes

I’ve never even touched a gun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Eh, I suppose partly, but also just thinking about how to handle gendered titles in general for the sorts of settings we see a lot in CoG.
You also get titles like King and Emperor where a wife normally ends up Queen or Empress… but a Queen or Empress regnant’s husband would often just be Prince Consort rather than the equivalent form of the title.

Also, what does one call a nonbinary person with any of these titles? Usually the masculine forms seem the most default, but that’s kind of erase-y and patriarchal :unamused:

3 Likes

Hello, it’s me, Tea!

6 Likes

And I am trained in the use of small-bore rifles. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So, how does that fit your national stereotypes, @idonotlikeusernames?

2 Likes