Consolidated Thread of Game Ideas For Authors

The first mission to Mars! Headed by people who are sure they’ll land, but never sure if they’ll ever (want) be able to come back.

Or the life of a simple family in 19th century Germany, working in the factories. No big revelations, turns, just trying to take every day as they come, and have some special moments going through the cracks of an otherwise very common existence.

6 Likes

The Indoctrination one sounds cool.

I don’t quite have the religious background, but if anyone has a good handle of Acts of the Apostles or the Hadith, I’d love to do early Christianity or Islam, but transform the religion in many different ways.

Creating a Arian Christianity, perhaps incorporating far more pagan elements, or alternatively, far less and keep Chrisitanity to its Jewish roots. Also a branch of Islam where Ali is the first Caliph. incorporating Mithras bull-worship into either of these religions? Why not? There was so much up in the air in the first centuries founding these religions.

Problem, this would be the type of story where research would be mandatory as I suspect the type of players it would attract would be fairly discriminating.

Your idea sound much more feasible.

1 Like

TG means transgender. 2 is inspired from a Haley Berry movie.

1 Like

Oh! That makes way more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

You’re going to have a version where the Eastern Empire Stay Aryan. But the Latin rite stay nicean. Honestly that’s a whole other issue to of how would the Empire becoming Aryan affect history in the long term because of the huge deal. Many of the Barbarian tribes are and the reason that Clovis converted to Catholicism clovis because the backing of the Pope and the Eastern Empire. The only reason I have this knowledge at all I took a class recently on the discipleship to the Reformation.

I knew you would like my idea of the German Guild state in the early medieval period!! :wink::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Hah! I actually didn’t have your guildgame in mind. But maybe it slipped through the unconscious or something like that.

1 Like

A coma patient living in a dreamed reality for many years starts seeing nits and pieces of reality and has to decide between waking up interesting forever.

Both places full of those you love or have come to love.

5 Likes

@Snoe You Remind Me how badly I need to read fiction again and expand my reading resources I used to come up with similar ideas when I was reading a lot more. When I was your age or reading a lot of like magic realism. I mean the last book I finished was about the first 21 years was of Andrew Jackson’s live it was meticulously research but a lot of speculation.
The last fiction I finished was The Son by Philipp Meyer. Interesting enough when I read really good translation of The Iliad and Homer my mind starts racing again.

1 Like

So in other words sort of Life on Mars, eh. Except without the weird era shifting to the 1970’s. Are the lives in the fantasy and the reality at all sort of compatible with each-other, I mean if the mc has been in coma for a decade and everyone they knew has more or less moved on in real-life that might make the decision easier, similar if they’re desperately poor and disrespected in the real world but a powerful prince in the alternate, fantasy universe.

Still it would be an interesting idea, particularly if when choosing for the real world in the end the mc gets to bring over their skills and experiences acquired in the fantasy one (well except for things like magic).

1 Like

Well @idonotlikeusernames that could be the crux of the protagonists dilemma though perhaps something in their real life can only be stopped if they wake. Some terrible wrong or a steadfast companion confessing that they’re sry and can’t see you like that anymore.

The dream being a multitude of experiences. Shifting, think a network of dreams alternate realities all the people familiar the people of the dream knowing you from those alternates but the circumstances vastly different. Your comrades joining you on your adventures and nemesis/rivals remain.

@Rogar, this stuff just hits me while I’m listening to music mostly. This one inspired by “Fish and Bird.” By Tom Waits. And “Watch You disappear.”

It’s better to listen with your eyes closed. Very poetic and image providing I think. BUT I’ve a very wide variety of music.

1 Like

Your Love of Tom Waits makes me like you even more stopped this I’m just going to start finding you too wonderful to actually be existing. PS my favorite songs by him his little drop of poison

Personally my favourite is “Green Grass.”

I listen to a very wide variety of music. And all good songs inspire stories.
Loreena Mckinnet “The highwayman.” Gave me an idea for a tragic beginning to a story where a soul rises and takes form when it witnesses the pastvrepeat itself to stop it. Only to find that coming back means lasting undeath thus the wraith in armor adventure begins.

A story where as a member of DARPA you see firsthand the effects one of the projects you worked on has when used and begin to question whether your work is morally right.

3 Likes

How about a game where u play as a hunter? (Big game)

I’ve got an awesome game idea…

You are a prisoner of war being tortured in a cell and interrogated to gain information about your country(preferably US of A) then story flashbacks to start of your career then in the end you discover (after whole journey down memory lane) that it was your best pal or your mentor who had turned on you leaving a cliffhanger to book 2 where you’ll be exploring the terror state where you were held…

Book one can be branched to make MC traitor or Patriot or Mole planted in hands of terrorist and interrogation being Test or real interrogation and brutal interrogation respectively. Then in book 2 one can write about what empowers those terrorists (who are just showing you shit to brainwash you) and MC can be given choices to be traitor or turn traitor or be a patriot and when they get him back to his country (probably on book 3) he’ll meet his family and friends (who’ll have earned major ranks)and MC will get choices to still be a sleeper agent for terrorist or find a way to inform some officials (FBI/CIA/his friends)or double-cross the terrorist and sabotage them from within alone (or with a companion)…

2 Likes

Just thought of this:

Collaborator’s choice

You are given an assignment in creative writing where you write with a partner. Plot Twist: writing must be spontaneous. No planning, no nothing. The story continues from where you or your partner left off and your grades will be determined by how compelling and coherent the story is.

• You are an aspiring content creator that has just started a new channel on the popular website Video!Tons. Amass fans, become a phenom, and take your place among the V!T elite!

So obviously a game revolving around a YouTube channel, yeah. I was imagining it to be this sort of “becoming the next PewDiePie” sort of story.

• You arrive in a new dimension. This universe is familiar and alien at the same time, but that’s not what’s important to you. No, you’re seeking out a dangerous being who threatens to unleash an ancient interdimensional plague that will consume reality if left unchecked…

I like the idea of going through different realities of varying shapes and laws, and seeing how not only the MC would react, but also how they can work these realities to their advantage to stop the bad guy. This sounds better more as a TV series or a series of movies, but I could give it a shot with a game format as well.

• The land is dry, sandy, and mountainous. Outside of the bodies of water, the land sees little vegetation, and the people of this land are used to having to work hard for their livelihood. Here, we follow the adventures of a caravaneer whose struggling to make ends meet, a bandit that fell on the wrong side of the law and has to rob to survive or be killed by the law enforcement, and a nomad who has decided to travel from their desert tribe. Their stories will converge with each others at one point or another, and nothing will be the same afterwards.

Inspiried by a certain game in beta that I don’t remember the name of, I’ve had an idea like this floating around in my head for a while. The POV is intended to shift between characters like in Divided We Fall, but obviousy a much different focus.

• “I am so sick and tired of this world. All the ills of society, all the pain and suffering, all the crimes people get away with on a regular basis…I’m fucking sick of it all. I’m done sitting around and watching people get screwed over with and having punishment not be carried out. It’s about time I take matters into my own hands, and make sure that those who escape from justice will have that be the worst, and last, decision they’ll ever make…”

Obviously an edgy take on the Anti-Hero meta. The MC is a vigilante in every sense of the word, and while prefering more systemic or major crimes, the MC is willing to do anything if they believe this will bring peace or justice to the victims and perpetrators that deserve it. Superheroes and villians optional.

3 Likes

:black_small_square:Pawn to Heaven’s Gates.

You play as another simple peasant 'dude in a town with the occasional barbarian attack, rumours or massive orcs (although the more sceptical of the town recognise the two children stacked on top of each other) and a good bad non-existent love life.

But this all changes!

No, you aren’t turned into a hero but chosen for some sort of sick lottery to go to the local [Input Enemy name camp] to spy on them

Or as a sacrifice, a distraction so everyone else can escape, you decide really.

Thankfully, the evil priest, local war hero, rich merchant and eccentric witch all want to help you (although each wants something-- maybe the priest some prisoners to ‘experiment’ on, the war hero some rare loot, the merchant the right to sell your story (or make money off grave- visits) and the witch… nothing. Yeah.)

Although maybe later you find out something about her? She could be a lost relative, spy or just be completely in love with you)

The cool thing is each person’s favour (although you can just reject them all) helps you in different ways-- perhaps the priest allows you to call upon the gods (at the expense of a currently-but-soon-no-longer- living sacrifice?) To aid you?

Does the war hero give you his gesr? Or send 2 of his cannon-fodder trainees to aid you?
Or is one a spy, sent to kill you after the task is complete so the War Hero guy gets all the glory?

Does the merchant give you riches to buy your way out of any situation (and into some people’s tent wink wink ) or give you a love potion?

Does the witch give you something totally useless as well as a ‘Spellbook for noobs’ as a joke?
Do you give the love spell on the main antagonist, Houftwood, leader of the [people]

Do you accept the favours of everyone and destroy everything?
Do you die at the beginning by trying to use the love option against whoever gave it to you immediately?

This is a pretty fun idea but it most likely won’t work for a super serious, immersive game.
Hopefully though if you change a bit it could work for almost any era (although modern reality might not be so great)

5 Likes