GaaaaaMeeeeees

:thinking: It’s not strategy per se but you have to utilize the AI tactics your healers and mages so you don’t have to monitor their movement all the time. I was used to turn based RPGs so when I played this initially, I died a lot but you will be able to get use to the controls. I just don’t like the enemy mages, they could make your life difficult with their spells. :joy:

Overall, I was able to get the hang of it quickly so I think you could manage. Just make sure you have a healer in your party for support. XD

AI tactics? Sounds similar to FFXII’s gambit system. :thinking:

It’s great to hear you got used to it quickly, hopefully the same applies to myself. I will take that healer advice into account, thank you very much! :smile:

Did you play on normal difficulty? I understand the game has 4 difficulty options. I might go ahead with the casual difficulty to mainly focus on the story but if normal difficulty isn’t too bad, I may give that a try.

Yes, I played in normal. I don’t want to be frustrated when playing games to be honest. :joy: I commend those who play this on hard and nightmare more.

Yes, exactly. It’s why I’ve been avoiding games like Bloodborne, the Dark Souls series and Nioh - it would just cause too much frustration. It’s a big shame because those games are very highly rated. :frowning:

Normal difficulty then, I’ll go with that to start off with, thank you. :slight_smile:

Before, I used to play every game on the lowest difficulty as I didn’t want to deal with these frustrations but now I’m starting with their normal difficulties first to see how it goes. If it gets too tough for me, I’ll lower the setting.

It’s not like Dark Souls though. The strategy for DA:O is to find the best tactic suited for your tastes by changing parameters in tactics menu for all characters and coming up with the most efficient squad build. Most of the time on higher difficulties you’ll spend with the game paused, issuing orders, buffs/debuffs and setting up characters just in the right position.

After the initial “setup” stage, when you learn the basics and find what works for you, the game flows much smoother.

I didn’t mean to compare it to Dark Souls, sorry about that. I was just talking about difficulty in general, I’m avoiding those games because I know I’ll be easily frustrated.

Hmm, it does sound more and more like FFXII’s gambit system, a game I still need to finish. The higher difficulties doesn’t sound like something I would enjoy so I’ll just stick with easy/normal for now.

Reading some forum posts now and they’re saying that normal difficulty is very challenging. Heck, even the casual difficulty has similar comments. :confused:

Just to elaborate, what I meant is that Dark Souls is much more action-oriented with attention turned to precise timings: dodge when you see this animation, then attack while keeping track of stamina meter. Repeat.

In this game it’s about your squad and how well prepared you are. How well set up you are. Whom you order to do X and when. How well positioned you are. If you check out positively on all of those, high chances you’d already win the battle before even engaging in one.

Not sure about gambit from Final Fantasy, as I have not played it, but quickly looking at its summary it sounds very alike.

Oh right, that does sound more interesting. Perhaps a bit more straightforward as well. :thinking:

Does DA:O have a tutorial system and if it does, is it good at explaining the mechanics? I’ll take a look at some guides/tips anyway but I just wanted to know how well it does this in-game.

Thank you very much for this information, it’s really useful and actually reassures me more now. :slight_smile:
…now I just need to get through ME3 and after that, I’ll have to decide between DA:O or Yakuza 0 as my next game to start playing.

Hmm, it was a long time ago I first played the game, I don’t really remember now :))

I think you shouldn’t have many problems on easy/normal, though. My advice, if you struggle, is to go through “tactics” menu (easy to ignore) and tinker with char behavior. Tanks should aggro and stay at blank range/mages kept at range/healers run away when damaged. The usual RPG stuff. Once you get that working, it becomes a piece of cake.

If I’m not mistaken it does. It’s been some time since my last playthrough, but from what I remember you’ll have some story time, just talking and going places near where you live, then enemies show up and you have the combat tutorial.
What I like most about Origins is having a different beggining for each race you choose and seeing how each "society’ works.

There’s not much of a tutorial but there is a codex explaining some stuff but 90% of the time though, I learned through trial and error. Also, if you have enough healing items, save at least one slot to heal themselves since you can’t take care of them all at once.

Also, save often in case your party die. I have lots of save files but at least I am ready and one city in particular was awfully glitchy so it’s best you have multiple save files.

I don’t remember there being much of a tutorial system, but it wasn’t hard to pick up or understand. Nowhere near as complicated as like a Monster Hunter game or something. Most of the game was pretty easy actually.

The only thing I remember having trouble with were the few times you had allies that weren’t actually members of your party. My mages always killed them with their aoe spells.

I know I did the game once through on the highest difficulty for achievements, and I struggled a little with that until I set all my companions to “attack my target,” and brought all damage dealers. The odd time the enemies lived long enough for anyone to need healing I did it with potions.

Firstly, thank you all for your responses. :smiley:

That’s good to hear. Those tactics especially will greatly help me as I’m still a newcomer to the RPG genre, so thank you once again. :slight_smile:

Since I’m currently playing Guild Wars 2, I see many people including my friend who I’m playing with using terminology such as aggro, CC, DoT, HoT and I’m thinking “Wait, what?”, haha. I have to start reading through more guides.

Oh wow, that is really nice. I know this is not a great comparison but that race comment reminds me of how some MMORPGs like Guild Wars 2 work, where each of the races have different starting areas and they tell you about their culture.

Are there any races in the game that are better than others, or is it just down to preference?

Hmm, so it’s similar to ME with the codex. I’ll be sure to take a look at that when I eventually play the game, I will 100% need it. xD

ME has made frequent saving a habit so I’ll do the same in DA:O. :laughing:
I’m assuming it has both manual and quick saves? (hopefully auto-saving too)

Save one slot for self-healing at the very minimum, got it. Thank you for your tips, as always. :smile:

That’s relieving. I haven’t played any Monster Hunter games but I might give World a go sometime later (MH:W, please be forgiving to newcomers).

Oh… :confused:
Well, I’ll be wary of AoE spells in front of non-party allies in that case. Thank you for the heads up. :sweat_smile:

I don’t think I’ll be going for a completionist run nor playing on the highest difficulty in DA:O, as long as I get to experience the story and characters, on top of the DLCs that’s bundled in the Ultimate edition (thank you GOG for having DA:O Ultimate Edition at such a low price, got it for less than £4 in a sale).

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it twice, I’ll preach it. Magic is broken. Just get your arcane warrior on.

I mean they’re not really all that hard. The most I’ve been frustrated with any of them would be dlc
bosses.

Not all AOEs. I think that’s another reason blood mage is so highly rated it gives one of the strongest with a stun that does no friendly fire.

Aggro = enemies’ attention. the one the AI is curently targeting is being aggroed.

CC = crowd control. Stuns, slows, roots, banishes, etc. Anything that impedes enemies’ movements and/or ability to attack.

DoT = Damage over Time. Taking dam periodically. Ex: poison.

HoT = never heard of it. Not sure if it’s actually a thing. Unless it stands for healing over time. Which is a weird term.

Bonus term:
DPS = Damage Per Sec. Your average damage output in a second.

Alright then. Reading the DA subreddit, there are so many mods for DA:O and I’m wondering if they’re worth putting on for a first playthrough. I’ll certainly use the spider removal mod as I strongly dislike them.

It’s more to do with the fact that I want to get through games without having to die and retry levels countless times, which will most likely happen to me in these games. I suppose it’s impatience. :neutral_face:

Blood mage? DA:O seems to have a large number of builds. :open_mouth:
As a beginner, should I just go with something like a warrior so it’s more straightforward?

Thank you! I’ll need to learn how to use these techniques properly in GW2. Currently, my warrior is level 45 (my friend and I have been levelling at a surprisingly fast rate, he’s level 51-52 but he has an XP booster and used 3 Tomes of Knowledge from daily login rewards that each increased his level by 1).

The game’s 6th anniversary is in a couple of weeks so there should be a sale popping up very soon in the gem store. I might buy some gems myself to get the Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic and maybe a bank tab expansion. The Living World seasons would be nice as well but it’s quite pointless if I’m not level 80 yet.

They all do because of specializations. Anyway arcane warrior is generally the simplest because it make magic count as strength too. Though to unlock the reaver specialization I believe you need to be a warrior.

That’s pretty cool, might go with arcane warrior in that case. But that means I’ll have to choose the mage class, right? Are they relatively easy to handle prior to unlocking that specialization?

Also looking at the GOG page for DA:O again:

Love that top review.

Yeah. As long as you get some good spells. Anyway once you unlock a specialization in one playthrough you can use it right away in another. You get to have 2 out of 4 in the base game and 4 out of 6 in the awakening dlc. And you’ll have to be a warrior as some point to unlock everything.

Also as a mage using a weapon as opposed to a staff leads to slower casting except for one arcane warrior weapon (and there’s a few exceptions to that). In Da2 and Dai your locked to doing whatever your class weapons are though.

And despite how fun it seems shapeshifter is the worst mage class. It scales off of strength.

BTW the buff system works like this, the more buffs you have it takes off more of your max magic/stamina but you can have as many as you like. Which is why blood mage is so great because you can use life which everyone likes.

I remember that dwarves can’t be mages because they have more resistance to magic. I think maybe humans get 1 more skill point and elves have more defense against ranged weapons, but I’m not 100% sure here.

But as I always see DA as a very personal experience, my recommendation is just going with whichever race you like more.