From Ashes We Rise [FAWR / WIP] Upd. 30. Oct

This game is one of my favorite games here. Oh I can not wait for the next update. :smiley: I’m so curious how it will happen! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just realised something. Not only are there people who have supernatural powers, there are Chimeras?! What kind of place is this?!?!

Some other stuff I didn’t pick up before:

Choosing weapon:
For three years you were fighting with a staff, why stop now? You know how to fight with it expertly and you know how to take out an opponent rather fast with it.

• Try “fought” ?

And while choosing mercenary or freelancer identity. If freelancer is chosen, the choice states that you are not always paid. But the paragraphs after seem to imply that you are not paid at all.

Description of Stray’s target house:
Expensive looking picture are hanging at the wall, a sturdy wooden table stands in the middle of the room with a fruit basket on top of it, a leather couch and armchair to your left… At least the interior decorator had better taste here than elsewhere.

• ‘pictures’ and ‘on’

Right after the next one:
He seems to look around for something, though you have no idea what exactly he is searching for.

• “be looking”, or maybe you can keep the “around”.

After police enter room with Stray:

With that, you jump out of the window and after Stray.

• maybe just “after” or “went after”.

These seem negligible, but I thought you could maybe check these out if you have the time.

@Nekumura I solved the “knifes” problem! Yay! Knives is the plural of ‘knife’, while knifes is the act of using a knife on somebody(stabbing).

1 Like

Oh my god update, MUST PLAY! EXCITED! YES!

1 Like

man this is getting more awesome by the second cant wait for more

1 Like

As many others have said, this is a great game so far and I really enjoyed playing the update. While playing, I found a bug. I chose to decline Troy’s offer, but I did not punch him. He left and that was fine. However, when I went to talk to Vine she thought I had broken his nose and my character commented on how satisfying it was, even though I never did that. Other than that bug, I’m very happy with the new update and new questions that I have. How does Stray know I was Blackbird?!? Keep up the good work, both on the story and in school!

1 Like

It’s a pretty big update (nice work), so I only played through it twice with some repeats at branching points.

[spoiler]

If you would compare yourself with Vine on Crow’s scale on who he probably more, then Vine would without doubt be his first choice.

I think this sentence is either missing some words or structure.

You rake a hand through your hair, pulling the stands that fell in your face back again. Glancing down, the guard is as unconscious like a sleeping drunk.

I think you mean strands

Particular the cathedral-part felt like a big info dump, mostly because much happened with much text, but not much choices for the MC to react and be it only internal. And the choices we get to make are in the majority do or don’t choices. The variation in former choices was bigger compared to that, even when the occasions for choices were comparable few, what gets now - as the story is really rolling - a little bit frustrating.

I really would wish for more choices how to behave against Crow in particular. How to react to their reminder to their “no killinig” policy would be a good place to differentiate how much attachment MC still feels for their old mentor.

Also interesting that Troy eyes a MC that was aggressive against him at every opportunity still “differently”. That seems…unhealthy infatuated with someone who acts like an asshole most of the time and specifically against him, even for someone who is good natured that seems just unhealthy, especially when the relationship stat can be interpreted as “would kill each other when possible” because it is so low… No wonder Crow doesn’t like us, they fear we already did seduce their sidekick. (MC produces pheromones that aim specifically those that hate them how about that twist?)
But seriously, a little nod here and there as reaction to MC attitude would be nice, though I understand when it would raise your workload for this project too much considering we are just looking at one of three branches. Still it would be a possebility to give choices more weight and thus not only to heighten replayability but also immersion.

And we got to reunite with Ace! :smiley: Good dog.

MC’s internal dialog: Must suppress urge to pet lovely perfect animal that always recognizes me. (in contrast to everybody else. Those jerks!) [/spoiler]

1 Like

That’s Glamour, her wavy black hair framing her face like you remember it from five years ago. In her left hand she holds a halberd, a red tassel on one end almost touching the ground. She hasn’t changed very much over the years except for maybe a few winkles, though it would be better not to tell that to a woman directly, especially not Glamour.

• I giggled.

What if… Nero quit soon after and became Spectre?

1 Like

I got this error in Nero’s biography section in stats
“Couldn’t load scene ‘Neropng’
The file doesn’t exist”.
EDIT: Game is still playable.

1 Like

This is a really good update it was done very well I like what you did af the end.

1 Like

I feel like there should have been more interactions between MC and Crow for relationship stats. But besides that this was a really good update!

1 Like

Thank you everyone ^^
I am glad to hear that you like the update!

@squarelyblue
I will try to find better words to replace the ‘Do not’ and words like that ^^
It is probably like this because I am used to writing more formal in school…
Inquiries, Orders etc… urgs x.x Not funny guys XD

@qpinskey
Oh? That’s weird… somehow, I mixed up the code a bit there…
When I hit Troy in my test play. It did not appear and I was wondering about that part during my break ^^
Will fix it very soon!

PS: Stray has his little secret :wink:

@Sammysam
First, about the Troy part… He actually is supposed to act different now if the MC has been mean to him all the time… I will look at the coding, I probably have something wrong there °^^ Sorry for that.

And about the choices. I will think about a few :3
Hopefully it will be better then ~

@UmbraLamia
Oh god… that was supposed to be wrinkles xD

And for everyone else who pointed out the mistakes and shared some thoughts with me/us, I thank you very much :slightly_smiling:
I will try to fix everything as soon as possible and update it when I have the time! (Like, tomorrow after I come back from the school trip. Yay!)

4 Likes

@Nekumura First of all, I love the update :heart_eyes: Can’t wait for more.

There are some things I’d like to mention though.
First, still from the part from before the update, after you’ve talked to Vine and Troy shows up and you choose to be nice to him the MC calls him Blackbird, which my MC would never do, and doesn’t happen anywhere later on in the story (for as far as I can tell). Would it be possible for you to replace that with some generic nickname?

Secondly, all the way at the end of the current demo, when you meet up with Troy, you are forced to pick a fake name. I would have loved to be able to pick my MC’s actual name, and to have to wait in anticipation for whatever consequences that might have. I hope you’ll at the very least consider it. I’m getting a bit tired of the whole laying low and obscuring the truth as much as possible.

7 Likes

I like both things here too. But I’m itching to call Troy Boybird if I could, even if I’ve been nice to him. :grin:

Also, I would like to, if possible, try to at least prod for the truth even if I don’t say it to their faces as opposed to waiting for the smelly stuff to meet the rotational device. Test the waters before the dam bursts, as it were. :blush:

1 Like

ow yeah that would be fun make them suffer a bit and when they finally find out the truth there going to be so shocked lol

1 Like

[spoiler]I had thought. When we snap at Troy we inadvertently gave a hint of our real identity. I think there should be a choice after Crow calls us an asshole to taunt him with what he did to us or bite our tongue and not reveal anything yet. Some people would like to snap at both of them but not throw any hints just yet.

When we talk about how we felt like an expendable pawn, I was hoping we added emotion into our rage, hint how scared we were under that rubble while Crow did nothing to help us. That would really boil his blood.

I do hope you add more taunts like this. I want to continue to push his buttons, crack his composure like we did just there. It would really drive him to find out who we really are and that’s what I want from him. Bravo on that confrontation.[/spoiler]

5 Likes

Thank your for letting me live my childhood dream-- I’ve always wanted to be Jason Todd.

This is a really fun game and I enjoyed the update! I’m looking forward to learning more about my rise from the undead, and then killing everyone who knows my true identity :blush:

Wow, the “snap at him” choice is just great xD

I say we stay with Birdie, because we have the big bird, the little bird and the real little bird that compared to birdie isn’t really little anymore. At least little bird 1.0 thinks that way XD

@Nekumura once I get home, I’ll try writing a more comprehensive post (I’m on mobile right now so :)) ) if I find anything else, I’ll let you know :> (I’m glad to be of any help though ovo/ )

In any case, I wish you luck! You’re doing really well and I hope this makes it as a game :>

ow god yeah I loved that part