Freak: Amidst the Neon Lights WIP and playtest.... last update July 4th 2019

First time commenting. I really like what you’re doing with this. The silent protagonist works really well with the descriptions of actions and expressions. How my MC can be sassy and smartassed without words is just satisfying. I love Empathy and am looking forward to seeing this story unfold. It’s really interesting to see how many different kinds of Freaks and Swigs there are. Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

A horny winged charming gentleman what’s not to like
Favorites

1. Empathy
  2. Him very close behind
  3. A distant Vyde
    4 umm can’t I say empathy again
1 Like

Since I played a smart-arse character just now:

For such a horny fellow he certainly butt in very gently into the scene. :grin:

I like him, so far. He seems well spoken, but then again, never judge a book by it’s cover. Or a dragon by its scales. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Always eager to see what comes next.

1 Like

I noticed that in one of the scenes, the PC awakens from his sleep, and the girl who is in the room with him, if you choose to go to her, comments “Naked guy. Cute naked guy…” Does the PC sleep nude, because that’s the only way I could see the scene making sense. Maybe I’m looking too deep into it. I don’t know.

Yeah he slept nude for some reason. But its a good comedic factor

I may be over-analyzing, but that scene doesn’t seem like it was only meant to be comedic. The PC’s lack of clothing seems par for the course for the institution that the PC is in. It is oftentimes mentioned in the game’s dialog that Lydia attempts to impose modesty on the PC, but does not always succeed. Does that mean that the institution mandates that lack of modesty, and that therefore, the PC would sleep nude out of habit, or would the nudity be for that instance since he (I played my character as a guy) has the girl in the room and wants to show off? I realize that this is probably an insignificant detail but the scene is memorable in my mind.

Also, on that note, why is it that the girl is so insistent that the PC dress? If the character is sleeping in a bedroom, shouldn’t she already have some discretion because of the possibility of the character’s (lack of) sleepwear? And does the character even own a pair of pajamas to begin with? emphasized text

1 Like

Didn’t our character just wake up from death, so they wouldn’t have any PJ’s and they were knocked unconscious and awoke in the bed naked (who undressed our character?)

1 Like

I think it shows more the lack of actual interaction First had with people outside of Lydia, whose influence on First was probably restricted, because…well we have seen what that close relationship caused: She helped the very valuable subject to escape! I guess that institution sees First more as test subject instead of a real human being, thus the neglect of their social skills.

And about the clothes: First just fell out a plane, so what they did wear was propably damaged or at least filthy. And maybe whoever undressed First also wanted to check if they had some serious injuries. After all they probably don’t know the extent of First’s superpowers.

And Empathy is probably here so that First doesn’t start to panick after they wake up and as translator. She probably didn’t expect them to be so …shameless/naive (depending how you interpret/play it).

6 Likes

Honestly, the way the game is going, it seems like a major plot point will be the PC’s struggle to adapt to society after he is freed from his testing. Throughout the game, it is mentioned that the PC wants freedom from the institution he’s held in, but he’ll probably be somewhat disillusioned once that freedom does arrive. The institution he’s been in has sheltered him a great deal, and it wouldn’t shock me that he’d deal with a lot of learning and a lot of growing pains as he learns that society isn’t like the institution he’s been in. This small scene is an example of that contrast between life at the institution and the norms of society

In a way, he sort of reminds me of Superboy from Young Justice in Season One, in that he was a test subject whose struggles to adapt to society form a large part of his character.

4 Likes

Wow you guys are deductive! I luv it!!

For the most part yes I did that for several reasons. The suit they wore being damaged a big one along with a medical exam to boot. The comedy of it was a fun thought on it but with an underlying motif of ‘this world doesn’t work like my old one’.

So you’re correct in First being socially inadequate. First is also very smart and will adapt ad situations arise… or simply do things the way they want because they can. It’s half the fun of this character I think. So much potential.

1 Like

You have to make a scene where First learns to dance. Imagine the comedy.

2 Likes

Roof top dance with Empathy.

1 Like

Steps on her foot and crushes it.

Someone else than Empathy, thanks. :stuck_out_tongue: There are more feet to step on than hers. :grin:

3 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes

If first is about to destroy something by learning something new, Empathy is there to stop them from doing it… and failing.

@Taylor_Enean,

4 Likes

Double negative?

It’s a yes. :stuck_out_tongue:

How did you know I planned for a formal ballroom event with dancing lol

First in their finest outfit on the dance floor worrying about everything that could go wrong. Moleculo in a tux and helmet. Empathy hiding in the corner. Nyoka offers First a lesson politely. Silic demands a lombada wearing a hot cocktail dress and a fruit hat.

Don’t worry folks there’ll be plenty of hijinx with all sorts of characters.

8 Likes