Freak: Amidst the Neon Lights WIP and playtest.... last update July 4th 2019

That’s certainly an interpretation of First regarding nudity, one that makes perfect sense. The nudism bugs me because it isn’t a necessary interpretation of First regarding nudity. If I were First (and to some extent I am, when I’m playing the game), I would

a) understand completely why people are uncomfortable with me being naked (having learned the social morés surrounding clothing from the many, many books I have read), and

b) avoid, whenever possible, ever being naked around anyone again.

I think point (a) is a matter of consistency. First probably knows a lot about the world. Like @Snoe has pointed out, this knowledge is mostly theory and no practice. But knowledge is still knowledge, even if you don’t always have the experience to apply it properly. If First reads a novel wherein the characters consider clothing important, First will assume that clothing is important in the outside world. First has probably read dozens of such novels.

Point (b) is not necessary at all, but it comes from my interpretation of what it is like to be First (and in a choice game, player interpretation should count for something).

Naked might be natural and comfortable for some people, in some settings, but not in the lab. Naked is when I transform from a person to a specimen. Naked is when the inhaler comes out, and the needles and the electrodes. Naked is when the man in charge touches me a little too long. He whispers in my ear and I don’t like what he says. Naked is a reminder of all the times that I, for all my supposed power, have been the lowest creature in the room. I have never seen anyone else naked, of course, because everyone else is considered a person. I don’t like being a thing, and I don’t like the name First.

My point is that @Camille622 and I both have reasonable and consistent interpretations of a prominent MC character quirk—and these interpretations are directly opposed. To me, that’s a sign of something that could be influenced by character choice, just like personality, movement style, and so on.

6 Likes

Valid arguments on bothe ends enough to impose a choice of modesty. May haft add that as a lasting variable :slight_smile:

Considering how much publicity First will get it may come up later.

1 Like

You imposing modernist ideals upon first using conclusion that only you would have understanding with ignoring the fact First would have some form of naivete in this regards from being raised in a sterile environment. Now with first she would get social clues about their indecency, also from the books the First reads.

So let us look at the pure facts nudity would mean little after all the time being subjugated to daily full physicals, which would reinforce the lack of modesty, by our standards. The instinctual self awareness to know that the doctor touches were overlong and were not right is a body way saying not ready (besides the doctor being an a-hat) for that type of bodily contact.

Modesty is a social perceived by the people: Look a beach in France for example, then in America. The latter is nudity is forbidden and the form it just a thing; a cravate though public nudity is frowned upon though there been a few few topless protests. Given social societies dictate what is in the norm.

We cover up to protect our sensitive bits first and foremost, keep warm, ect.

Now since First is free it up to them to decide what is right for them. Besides if First wants to go au naturale who going to stop them? XD

1 Like

My intuition regarding the nudity issue: First’s primary concern would be comfort and health. In a threatening enviroment where injury or discomfort is threatened, First would seek to protect him/her-self from that threat as a primary objective. This is how I’d approach the story, if I were in Snoe’s shoes. (pun aside, sorry).

Edit - this discomfort or threat can include general-public reaction to First’s nudity.

1 Like

[quote=“Pace675, post:1100, topic:13740”]
since First is free it up to them to decide what is right for them
[/quote] It’s just as you’re saying, @BabbleYaggle seems to ask for this possibility to choose.

@Snoe, really cool game you’re offering us! I’m looking forward to see how the story will manage to contain so many powerful beings without a major catastrophe! XD No, really, how come the “normal” human beings are still allowed to roam the world? I mean, why haven’t the freaks just taken over?

2 Likes

There have been catastrophe’s committed by a select few, more notably by a Freak mentioned only once in passing thus far.

Well consider that among the ‘Freak’ population there are around 10 with high-level powers, Vyde holding the top of the mountain, a certain ‘monster’ standing just below him, then Geo, and that’s current ranking without adding First to the list. Then the rest of the Freak population numbers are pretty low compared to Swigs and even more so to humans. Consider a half the Swigs as a police force of sorts most bound to corporate interests. Then consider that not all Freaks have offensive capabilities.

There are some with grand schemes but few have the powers or tools to avoid being killed in the process. But a strong contender for such a ‘movement’ is actually Vaihl. A very driven business woman with resources intelligence and powers. She’s only mid-level to boot.

background of Alantus city be warned

[spoiler]That said, Alantus Island/city was built by a group of Swigs and Freaks after said ‘monster’ made a mess of a rather populated area. Promoting Peace ect… Vyde’s walking a thin line and now First has been dropped into his lap. He tries to keep catastrophe’s painting Freaks as the ‘bad guys’ to a minimum. He doesn’t want to be the responsible one that’s for sure but he is.

Vyde, Vaihl, Ten, Lolipop, and three others. Barely survived the battle but managed to subdue the monster. But the damage was done and downtown Toronto was practically razed to the ground.

A safe haven was built Alantus an island away from the mainland that now houses a third of the Freak and Swig population, and is the testing ground for corporate interests and the stage for Darwin based entertainment (reality TV ect…) Consider it Superpowered LA in international waters (those of you who are familiar with the term will no that there aren’t alot of laws to be enforced out there)

The island is ruled by those that survived and divided between different interests and motives. If the island were to unite it’d be its own nation and a very powerful one, with all the money fame and powerful beings inhabiting it.
[/spoiler]

8 Likes

Damm, Vahl is becoming more and more hot.

PS: someone knows how I can quote a post?

Just select text and a quote icon appear

Of all the comics and shows I’ve experienced I’ve never come across a brilliant bad ass billionaire playgirl! So I thought “what the heck!”

But on a serious note the majority of characters in a similar situation as Vaihl are male. Face it all the Brilliant minds in comic books are dudes! Or at least all the memorable ones. Most females in comics feel second string save for a handful of outliers.

That being said. She does have failings as all character’s should.

Ps:Her last name was derived from the Ars Goetia

So. Was the game updated cause I wanna see more of nyoka

Not since Wednesday…
Try to be patient please and thankya.

I’ll let you all know when there’s a sizeable update. Otherwise it’s just minor tweaks fixes and a few paragraphs forward.

I don’t intend on another update until I’m through with this chapter. Could be the end of this week or the next depends on my time.

Ps:it’s sorta against a rule or two to pester for updates.

But I am happy to know you’re enjoying this so much.

3 Likes

Not really, a lot of the most powerful comic book characters are female.

1 Like

Phoenix, Scarlet witch, are likely the most power female characters agreed but they are sorely outnumbered even at their peak.

Though I was not saying Vaihl was powerful in the sense of her powers. But her mind. Like Norman Osborne, Hank MC Coy, Henry Pym, Forge, Luthor, Stark. I can’t think of any female other than Barbara Gordon and Moira McTagart that used their intelligence more than their physical or metaphysical abilities.

They exist but you have really look for em.

3 Likes

Got you covered Snoe

Oracle

Amanda Waller

1 Like

That’s still not many. And not nearly as prominent as for example Luther or Stark alone. It’s not just about existing it’s also about how prominent they are for the story.

And whereas characters like Phoenix and Scarlet witch are powerful and prominent for their franchise, their powers are explicitly connected with an unstable mind/emotions, thus the numerous occasions and storylines which featured them lashing out with their powers, what is a huge contrast to the intellectual mastermind archetype.

1 Like

Amanda Waller is a very prominent character. If you want an example watch JLU. I only used two as examples I could probably pull up more.

But she doesn’t really fit the billionaire playgirl strereotype we are talking about. She is more the highly competent government type without superpowers, like Maria Hill, but not the stereotype we are talking about.

Will her failling be having a soft spot for my first?

I had two more Kitty Pryde and Poison Ivy. But yeah I’d have to look for that one.

Kitty Pryde: has genuis computer skills but not super genius intelligence like Tony Stark for example.

Poision ivy may be a genuis, but often works more through seduction than other means.

Neither of them would easily pass in a white collar or buisness enviroment, or prefer to operate in such an environment when we are at it.

It’s not just about smarts but what kind of smarts or how they are used and also which background the character has.

1 Like