Freak: Amidst the Neon Lights WIP and playtest.... last update July 4th 2019

I tend to emphasise sarcasm by the by but maybe that’s not coming across clearly enough.

And @sammyboy what do you mean exactly by being misgendered?

1 Like

Oh, gotcha. I have a hard time reading tone, haha. And regarding misgendering, I mean in the sense that, because gender identity isn’t brought up until much later (at least in the sense of what is so far completed), I felt that I had to choose between making my character a cisgender boy or having a character I thought of as a trans boy referred to by others with she/her pronouns and terms that denote being a girl (miss, ma’am, etc).

1 Like

Huh, my take on that was well life isn’t exactly always brilliant at the lab now is it? :stuck_out_tongue: I can imagine the doctor referring to us as our preferred gender, but franklin or the others? no chance. Plus we don’t exactly get formal councelling as such, haven’t played the yp for a while, but think we spoke to the doctor just as and when, so I imagined my mc being really confused about their gender, so presenting more feminine when you can felt like a good first step for my mc, but that’s just my take on things :stuck_out_tongue: . but will be interesting to see what if any reaction our mc gets after the shopping bit.

3 Likes

Fair point! This is truly just something that made me uncomfortable (not that that makes it wrong, of course!). I’m generally not used to that kind if approach in COG games regarding gender identity/being trans (the games that have a trans option typically handle it from the point of your character already having settled into their gender identity and transitioned to the extent that they pleased). I will warn that taking the story in this direction will make the paths you write very distinctly different (I assume that’s why people generally avoid including trans options in this way) and I’m not sure if that’s something you desire to write. It really depends on how it’s handled from the point where it stops right now, of course. I’d actually be really interested in seeing how it’s handled–I suppose I was mostly just concerned because what is currently complete doesn’t yet show how gender identity is going to be handled. I think it could be really cool in your universe for this story, though (my first thought regarding physical transition options was someone like the hairdresser but with gender!).

Also I’m really interested to see how the other characters react to learning MC’s past (if they do, of course–but there are effects of growing up like that that would certainly be difficult to hide). I’m very excited to get more character interaction because you’ve done a great job in establishing these characters as unique and interesting individuals.

1 Like

My biggest aim is that this is First’s entry into the world everything they know is second hand and Alantus is the base for becoming who they want to be.

As for pronouns that’s going to be taken care of in the him/her/them way and their gender won’t be ignored or overt if things go to plan.

Edit: plus I find developing a character shouldn’t be done all at once feels hollow to me.

13 Likes

I can’t wait to the full store scene w/ Vy.
Will First get nude in front of them too.

3 Likes

Same here, especially depending on the MCs new haircut and particular choice in fashion.

Agreed developing one as the story goes on feels more natural.

5 Likes

It is me again. The legendary new user! Now beware my trap Card, cuz Daaaamn I wanna finish shopping already xDDD. But srsly, my lil’ bunny take your time. Many of us would like to help, but cant in any way :C. Although If you’ll ever want your book to be translated into polish, just message me xD (OH I also know a few people from Germany and South Korea, so -cough- yeah just saying)

4 Likes

No worries just got to find time, which isn’t easy on overtime hours.

3 Likes

I’m a bit confused on the shopping part. Long story short, I want to make my MC a tomboy. I had them go into the male section but I think it changed my pronouns. I don’t want it to do that, I just wanted to wear casual guy clothes but still be female. Is this possible?

2 Likes

The section you shop in does determine your gender. First has a thought where they think they’ll just wear what they want anyway. So shopping in the girl’s section doesn’t mean you’d necessarily be wearing girly clothes.

1 Like

@Elysium is correct
That part is where First begins to develop their own gender identity with pressure or expectations from Lydia Luger or Francis. This whole shopping and image development is my way of presenting the character with the new overwhelming freedom of their situation.

I’m just hoping it’s coming across well enough.
BUT that’s something I can come back to later if it becomes an issue.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m watch a marvel movie marathon(yep all of them) for the next 3 days and power through some writing.

12 Likes

As much as I like the shopping scene I think it may fails to do exactly that considering how many people asked about it already. It could be caused by people normally don’t expecting the actual gender to come up so late in game.

I know you want to give the feeling that First has no real concept of gender with that approach, but maybe it really would be better to at least imply that readers will get later on a decision specific for First’s gender.
Theoretically First could have got a (maybe) blurry picture of gender because of the bunch of books they are reading. Depending on which books maybe a very stereotypical picture but all in all at least something.
Or just give First the option to feel discomfort for their presumed gender before even when First because of the lack of framework may can’t pinpoint why it makes them feel uncomfortable.

Like I said I really like the shopping scene but I think here comes the established format of cog in the way of what you want to do. People just often don’t expect that sex and gender are seperate options as most of the games ask only for the gender or it’s seperate choices the gender choice comes before any other clarification considering it. Here that’s not the case and because of it many people will end up probably confused during their firsr playthrough at least.

6 Likes

All the Marvel movies? Even Wolverine Origins and X-men 3 The Last Stand!? I’ll pray for you :pray::joy::joy:

Those are Fox movies. But Marvel so made Thor and Hulk’s movie, they are as bad as those 2 you mentioned.

I always thought at first with what we choose at first this was First choosing their sex, their biological identifications and this was the identity pushed upon them at birth. Then by the shopping trip, it was our choice to decide their gender. It might seem outside the formula, but I feel it’s a lot more organic. First, has never had a choice in anything about themselves. Maybe for some people, they might just want a warning before it decides their pronouns when they might be thinking they are getting a biological male and identifies male that just likes to ladies clothing or a biological and gender identified as female who just wants to wear men’s clothing.

But I had always just thought the shopping scene was a progressive take on the Sex and Gender identification choices in Choice games.

7 Likes

I always thought the same thing.

The shopping trip being the first time the MC could express themselves (including their gender) seemed clever to me.

5 Likes

Isn’t that what anyway happens to everybody? The “push a gender identity upon one” thing I mean? Just because you get pushed to something doesn’t mean you have to be happy with it. So the only thing that stays would be Firsts persumed lack of understanding for the concept of gender that could make them indifferent. But while they live very sheltered they don’t really live isolated. They have the books and also the people surrounding them to give them a certain understanding of gender and gender roles. So it could be already possible that they feel uncomfortable with their perceived role, even when it doesn’t change a thing in the way the lab treats them. But it certainly changes things for the reader.

Anyway I just think that it could be helpful to stronger indicate that the first choice not First’s choice of gender. Just to avoid confusion. (Because obviously that is not so clear by the way the choice is worded by now, otherwise we wouldn’t see so many questions about it.)

(And to clarify I don’t even say that the shopping scene should be scrapped. I just wonder if an earlier option considering First’s gender instead of the choice in the beginning wouldn’t be beneficial, just to not alienate readers)

3 Likes

I was subtle in both areas so let’s go with a more obvious explanation.

Don’t think I’ll scrap anything but I can clarify.

3 Likes