Fox of Sunholt (WIP)

tumblr_60c406dfee7ca790881e34d5c3f190a1_0133fae2_540

You’re a Fey-Fox. To most people, this makes you a monster. To you, it means you can take the form of a fox with ease. It also means that when your heart was ripped out of your chest by someone you trusted, you didn’t die. Fey don’t need hearts but you’d really like yours back. It doesn’t help that whoever holds your heart can command you to their will. The person who currently holds your heart? King Guim of Noor. How much do you hate him? A lot. Are you going to kill him? Please, that’s hardly a question at this point.

After a botched attempt to steal your heart back, the princess of Sunholt—a not-so creatively named sunny island kingdom—comes to your aid. She wants to hire you to help save her kingdom and thusly the world, but you’ve got bigger kings to stab. First, you’re getting your heart back.

Don’t all good adventures start with a murder? And anyway, what kind of a person thinks putting the fate of humanity in the hands of a petty thief like you is a good idea?

NEW WIP DEMO (tba)

OLD WIP DEMO (READ AT YOUR OWN RISK)

https://dashingdon.com/go/1818 (OLD DEMO FROM 7 YEARS AGO. I DON’T RECOMMEND IT)

tumblr_9aa0f3424d2d83cdde75bd9c543bcc1a_a847a6fe_500

The Fox Of Sunholt is an upcoming, mature, high-fantasy interactive fiction game where you play as a down-trodden Fey-Fox thief, a magical being with the unique power to take the form of a fox. Journey with an eclectic team of people as you help save the world from a mysterious affliction known as “Rot”. This game is romance-focused, meaning romantic routes are necessary to proceed in the story. This is a story and choice driven game, with minimal use of stat checks.

The game is divided into three “Acts”. Act 1 follows the characters’ journey to speak with the Sage Regent. With a ~5 year time skip, Act 2 follows the world shattered and the heroic attempt to save it. Act 3 follows your character after Act 2, in a world shaped by your choices, happily in love.

tumblr_4945463087b5e857306d34320551b3e7_806baa1f_500

• Play as an intrepid Fey-Fox (male, female, or non-binary): a unique character of your own creation with a distinct personality of your making
  • Customize your character’s appearance and sexuality!
  • Romance one of 6 (3 female, 3 male) main love interests all with their own personal story lines and interactions with the main character
  • Navigate the world of The Domain and the complexities of humanity; forever change the kingdoms around you through your choices
  • Tend to your heart: coddle, grow or neglect it
  • Choose to embrace your animal instincts and achieve your full 9-tailed form in a unique route of the game
  • Become the legendary Fox of Sunholt and uncover the mystery of your birthright
  • Navigate fraught familial connections, striving for closure in variety of shapes
  • Discover love for yourself and learn to heal the wounds of your life. You deserve it, don’t you?
  • Save the world!
CONTENT WARNINGS

The Fox Of Sunholt is a mature story.

The following topics described in writing: Abuse, Drug & alcohol Use, Drug & alcohol addiction/dependency, Gore/Blood, Violence, Cannibalism, Death (including major character death), Profanity, Suicide & Suicidal ideation, Mental illness, Kidnapping/Abduction, Self-Harm, Loss of bodily autonomy

tumblr_4ff12b42dd9ae9fdc5c787e2ab6e7206_2578c154_500

RO PORTRAITS

SEVENTH RO –

CHARACTER DESCRIPTIONS

Adelaide de Lyon - ( she/her, romance option for MCs of any gender )

Colloquially known as the honey princess, Adelaide is a woman with bright blonde hair, soft green eyes and fair skin. Freckles adorn her skin; from her cheeks to the ends of her arms. Often smiling, she speaks of world peace and kind futures as though both are easy to achieve. As a princess, she has lived with a measure of privilege but she hides it well. The jagged scar across her throat reveals a life of a pain, though she obscures the mark with a red bandana tied around her neck. She coats everything with a veneer of positivity and almost staunchly refuses to speak of anything else. She has a real passion for bettering the world, though you’re not sure what to make of it yet.

Camille Tazani - ( she/her, romance option for MCs of any gender)

A noblewoman, sorceress and consistently unamused woman, Camille was once Adelaide’s companion in their youth but left her position to pursue more magical education and training. When she returned, now an adult, she took up her title as Adelaide’s lady-in-waiting only in name. With wavy dark brown hair, brown skin and striking yellow eyes, her appearance is one that’s hard to forget. She seems to be constantly disinterested and annoyed by the world around her, always ready with a sarcastic quip. However, under her sharpness, is a woman with exceptional knowledge and remarkable magical talent. Though she seems unengaged, her eyes watch you like a predator, waiting for something. She does not speak of her past.

Mars Polonia - ( he/him, romance option for MCs of any gender )

Adelaide’s champion, a sort of personal bodyguard for her royal highness, and a knight of Sunholt’s Crownsguard. He is an awkward and often grumpy young man, easily embarrassed and allergic to honest displays of emotion. His dull blue hair has been permanently compressed into a mess due to his helmet, and he can be seen fussing with it to no avail. He has grey eyes and pale skin, marked by a few scars from his days in battle. As a knight, Mars is a talented swordsman, but he always hesitates before a killing blow. He will not speak fondly of his work, if he ever speaks of it at all. He will, however, happily regale you with tales of his cat, Sir Snuggles — a name which has stopped being embarrassing to him. Despite first impressions, Mars can be kind and loyal once you get past the barriers he sets for himself. And despite his distaste for being a knight, he takes his job very seriously.

Sidney “Sid” Rhysling - ( he/him, romance option for MCs of any gender )

An affable and confident deckhand contracted by Adelaide, through Camille, to assist in the transportation of their belongings over the course of their journey. He has loftier goals than what his life has afforded him and dreams of being a captain some day. He understands just as well as you do what it’s like to try to sleep while hunger pulses through your body. He is noticeably tall, with a muscular frame and tan skin. He has messy brown hair and soft stubble that compliment his bright blue eyes. He tries his best to make any occasion a good one, and strives to be on friendly relations with everyone he meets. He is a man who loves the world in its rugged state and makes his own happiness where he goes. Though he has no reason to, he has made it his mission to become your friend, and ease you into this strange journey. He speaks fondly of his sister, and talks openly about his life as though he has nothing to hide. But you know better than that.

Faith - ( she/her, romance option for MCs of any gender )

A half-Fey who worked on occasion with your uncle and his band of thrives, she is a close friend of Yoon’s. Faith is tall, with long wavy pink hair with dark green roots and ends worn into a nearly white color. She has tan skin and brown eyes. She is a flirtatious woman, eager to capitalize on the indulgences the world offers. When she wants something, it is hard to get her off the idea. She portrays an idea of confidence that exudes across her entire being. She can be quite lazy, though she argues that she just puts her energy where it matters and that’s that. Like Yoon, she was tasked with taking care of you by your uncle, who has never displayed concern for you before. Unlike Yoon, she sees no reason to hide this fact from you and sees no reason why she shouldn’t enjoy herself along the way.

Yoon Pak - ( he/him, romance option for MCs of any gender )

A fellow Fey-Fox and an ex-member of your uncle’s thieving crew and more than occasional bard. Yoon has black hair that extends to his shoulders, fair skin and glowing red eyes. He can be seen with a lopsided grin, amused by the happenings of the world around him. He coins himself to be an observer, taking in the world at a middle-distance. He enjoys stories, both hearing them and telling them. Though he has a gift for strategy, the most he’s ever used it for was the planning of heists, a task which quickly bored him over the years. He’s looking for something bigger and is more interested in this world-saving journey than even Adelaide herself. He was tasked to take care of you by your uncle, though he actively pretends that is not the case. Truly, he feels guilty for not trying to befriend you sooner and makes up for it now with excessive charm and familiarity.

??? - ( can be m/f/nb, romance option for MCs of any gender–though not a “main” romance )

Someone wants to kill you. The ‘someone’ being this person and their tattered black cloak — which is obviously tacky and inferior to your own tattered cloak. They’re not very good at it, however, because you’re still alive. The attacks on your life didn’t start until you went off with Adelaide, though the rest of the team claims to know nothing about your mysterious assassin. If you could just catch them, maybe you can learn more.

70c1578e01acd2691575cbf07b2cd6b7923be1ee

TUMBLR ( for questions, art, and more info )

764 Likes

I love the idea, and your style is great. Easy to read and poignant at the same time.

13 Likes

Short but interesting.
Looking forward to Camille, the most likely candidate for best girl.

7 Likes

Looking forward to this. Very interesting concept :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Interesting premise, I’m hooking into this book.

3 Likes

First of all, dammmmn those are fancy pictures! XD :laughing: I love your idea, and I’ll be tracking this WiP. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I want play a kitsune since a long time. Can’t wait more updates :grinning:

6 Likes

This looks interesting, I love foxes! Looking forward to meeting the other characters.

3 Likes

Camille sounds interesting look forward to encountering her also you were right it was short didn’t even get to the name your character part :smirk:

2 Likes

This seems like a cool idea. (And your pictures are making me jealous. Where’d you get them?)

Just thought I’d point out, no idea if it’s a bug or intentional, but in the relationship tab in the stats screen, the Romance v Friendship stats say things like AFriendship/ARomance for Adelaide. Not sure if that was intentional, but that just sounds like what I would name the variable, not the stat itself, so I thought I’d point it out. (If that even made sense… I’m bad at being specific. And helping.)

2 Likes

I really like this, and this is kind of random but I love the names you chose for the main characters.

I’m interested in learning more about the MC and the little sprite that follows her around. Looking forward to seeing more of this :sunny:

3 Likes

I love this already! Looking forward to more!

So far, I’m liking it! (And our little companion!)

2 Likes

Looking forward too see more of this, I like our little friend

3 Likes

me, too, stop to pet cats.

7 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this my entire life! I I’ve everything about Kitsunes!

4 Likes

alksjldakjd thank you all so much for your interest!!! it means a lot to me !!! not to get sappy or anything but as a child i always wanted to be a writer but was told it “wasnt a real job” so i never pursued it. so, uh, it makes me really happy to see people appreciating this sorry just wanted to say thank you! I’ll tone down the sap

@Ramar_Blood lol yes i didnt even want to put it up but i figured something was better than nothing at all

@ExcaliburV Yes thank you for pointing that out! I fixed it :’) and the pictures are just from around the internet, i edited them and added text ! glad you like them

MINOR UPDATE– I wrote a little more and dropped the friendship/romance meter. I didn’t like that it somehow implied that you can’t both be friends and lovers with someone. instead there’s two bars, one for friendship (which is just how much a character likes you) and another for romance. I’ll write more tonight, and update again then. Hope you’re all having a good day!

31 Likes

Man, I got really into it right when it ended :pouting_cat: Looking forward to more! I really love your idea and I admit, I kinda always end up playing most of these types of games for the romance lol.

Good luck! I’ll be cheering for you, quietly, from the shadows over yonder. Cause I am not very good at making public posts :upside_down_face: Public posting is like public speaking, stressful.

6 Likes

Sign me the fuck up NOW!!!

2 Likes

Princess: (Stares at fox) “SO CUTE!”
Me: (TACTICAL RETREAT!)

21 Likes