Forum Anime Watchers

This is my favorite part of Golden Kamuy. Learning something new every chapter

Exactly, very well said.

Guilty Crown and Kabaneri are two examples of this. Both have excellent animation and soundtracks… but the plot takes a complete nosedive in their second halves. (also funny how Sawano is the composer for both, his luck in getting put on good anime is pretty bad, lmao)

Lately, there’s been an influx in isekai series so the industry’s oversaturation is still increasing. Really, we need more solid original anime that are refreshing to what’s being put out at the moment, like A Place Further than the Universe and Tsuki ga Kirei.

Nice choices. Out of your list, I’ve seen Overlord, AoT, SAO, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia and Hunter x Hunter (I’m assuming you are referring to the 2011 version).

I imagine you are watching/going to watch the sequel anime to these, like SAO S3 starting in October and One Punch Man S2 whenever that is.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) is a masterpiece, episode 135 being the first time I finally broke and cried in an anime. I am still hoping for Madhouse to do a sequel anime of some form in the future, even if it’s just an OVA. But with the continuous hiatuses, yeah… it’s probably wishful thinking at this point.

On obscure anime news, I’ve just found out that there was a ‘Professor Layton’ anime based off the most recent release in the game series.

Based on a couple of episodes I’ve watched, it’s clearly marketed towards younger children, but I do appreciate some of the storylines that it provides (even though some of them are cliche as hell). It honestly has some very heart-breaking moments during its runtime and maybe some diehard fans of the game series might appreciate it, who knows?

Oh yeah, I’ve heard about that as well. 50 episodes long and it’s directed by Susumu Mitsunaka, the director of Haikyuu!! (please make S4 next year… please).

Never played the Professor Layton series, unfortunately. The games mainly being on Nintendo consoles is the reason for this, as I don’t own any at all. I haven’t played any games from Level-5 either, though that might change if I decide to play Ni no Kuni II later on. Apparently they are teasing a PC release for Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, so that’s quite exciting.

Going back to OPs for a bit, if there is one studio that does excellent ones, it’s MAPPA.

Zankyou no Terror’s OP is incredible, both the song and visuals. This might even be my favourite anime OP ever. Kazuto Nakazawa was the animation director for this and as usual, he did an amazing job.

Yoko Kanno’s work on it is simply masterful. She composed everything: the OP, ED and soundtrack. It’s been nearly 4 years since she’s last worked on an anime, so I’m hoping we could see a return from her next year. There’s a relatively high chance she could be working on Carol & Tuesday, a Bones original anime coming out in Spring 2019, directed by her close friend Shinichiro Watanabe.

This is the most epic OP I’ve seen in an anime yet. I adore the transitions they use here, such as 0:34, 0:39 and 0:47. Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is really good. I liked its longer sequel, Virgin Soul, but I still prefer Genesis.

MAPPA’s most recent anime and OP, Banana Fish, that’s currently airing.

I know a few people who love the band, Survive Said the Prophet. Personally, I don’t know much about them, but I know their main vocalist Yosh has worked with Hiroyuki Sawano multiple times on Seraph of the End (e.g. its ED “scaPEGoat”) and Attack on Titan S2 (e.g. on the track “Barricades”), as well as Sawano’s other projects. This song is so good. 1:18 to the end is :fire:

And those visuals… MAPPA continues to impress me. I actually need to pick up this anime at some point, I’ve seen a lot of praise for it so far. The manga ran from 1985 to 1994 so I’m surprised the series got an anime now, but it’s great to see regardless. 19 manga volumes and the anime will have 24 episodes, so I’m curious if they’re going to adapt it entirely. :thinking:

I dont like how no one mentioned this OP. I know the first season of golden kamuy has inconsistent animation, but the OP is great imo. Man on a Mission is solid here.

Started my hero academia. Cute, I was a little afraid, like usual, about the jump from manga to anime, but for what I’ve see, is a good work.
It’s surely strange for me returning to the start after being into the manga for so long!

@a_shoggoth I love MWAM, they have done so many amazing songs, including Gundam IBO and Inuyashiki’s OPs.

So far, this is my favourite song from them.

@Willow_Felya_G Nice! I hope you enjoy the anime. :slight_smile:
Bones are the perfect studio for BnHA, the work they have done in it so far is nothing short of exceptional. The soundtracks by Yuki Hayashi are also some of my all-time favourite soundtracks.

An absolute banger.

The Promised Neverland’s anime staff and main cast have finally been announced:

Staff

Director: Mamoru Kanbe (Elfen Lied, Sound of the Sky, The Perfect Insider)
Series Composition: Toshiya Ono (Land of the Lustrous, Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga, Gatchaman Crowds)
Character Design: Kazuaki Shimada (animation director on The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls, A Lull in the Sea)
Music: Takahiro Obata (worked with composer Yuki Hayashi on Welcome to the Ballroom’s soundtrack)
Animation Production: CloverWorks (Darling in the Franxx, Persona 5 the Animation)

Main Cast

Emma: Sumire Morohoshi
Ray: Mariya Ise
Norman: Maaya Uchida

Quite promising staff. CloverWorks has been rumoured for a while now as TPN’s studio and it turned out to be true. Obata did some great work on Ballroom’s soundtrack and while I’m not too familiar with the other staff, they seem pretty good based on their current works.

As I haven’t read the manga, I’m not sure how good this cast list is in terms of fitting the characters. But I know these three voice actresses are very well known.

Oh I missed Zankyou no Terror, it was solid up till the mediocre ending which was a disappointment. I loved its art style and overall serious tone (at least during the first few episodes). I would love more anime with that aesthetic. (Showa genroku was my fav for a while)

Fully agreed with you. I also adored ZnT’s aesthetic, it was spectacular but the ending… yeah.

Rakugo is my all-time favourite anime and I’ll be surprised if another anime surpasses it anytime soon. I knew nothing about rakugo before watching it so I was hesitant but man, Studio Deen exceeded all expectations.

Kanno is a goddess. :sob:

Every now and then I wish a studio would adapt Oyasumi PunPun, just so anime watchers know what anime/manga induced depression is. The ending of the series is the saddest thing ever.

Another day, another pile of anime news…

So the new Ghost in the Shell project is going to be in the format of a TV series, very interesting. It will have 2 seasons, 12 episodes each. Kenji Kamiyama (director of GitS: SAC) will be directing the first season while Shinji Aramaki (director of Appleseed) will be directing the second.

Please. Bring. Back. Yoko. Kanno.

Nice. It’s about time that ufotable adapts something that isn’t a Type-Moon work nor a video game. I don’t know anything about this series but there’s one guarantee with this anime: the visuals will be gorgeous.

The sequel Code Geass anime project, Lelouch of the Resurrection, is now confirmed to be a film that will premiere in February 2019. The main staff is the same as the original anime series.

I’ve seen Code Geass S1 ages ago but still haven’t watched the second season (I’m not sure when I’ll do so either). For any Code Geass fans, here’s this news.

Shinkai is back. Your Name is an absolute behemoth with its popularity, being the highest grossing anime film ever made. I loved the film and need to buy the Blu-ray for it soon, alongside A Silent Voice.

One issue that arises from this, however, is the immense amount of pressure that settles on him after Your Name’s enormous success. Shinkai himself told people some months after Your Name premiered in Japan to stop going to see it and I believe he also mentioned that the film is getting praised too much. He especially dislikes the comparisons being made between him and Hayao Miyazaki. It’s a ton of weight on his shoulders, for sure.

The anime that I most like at the moment is the Pupa anime, which is about metamorphosis, tragedy, scientists and a girl called Yume who can’t stop shapeshifting into a monster. Sadly, I can’t find much more details about the manga (which is a rare edition) but I love that Pupa anime so much.

When I was younger, I used to watch animes called To Aru Majitsu Index and Shagukan No Shana. But I don’t remember much about those anime except for the theme songs. I have a big question though, what is a Character image song and why don’t western tv-shows have character image songs, similar to anime?

More Bones no Hero Academia.
More Yuki Hypeyashi.

Time to get hyped once again.

The protag from Extra isn’t that bad. But in general, Fate spinoffs seem to be “miss-and-hit” rather than the other way around, whether it’s due to having good elements coming together in a disjointed or dysfunctional way (Apocrypha), being far too opaque to get into (Extra), being a generic product with Fate slapped on (one of the games, can’t remember the title) or in general being an abomination (Prisma Ilya).

Exactly this. Though lately being average is not enough for me seeing as there is an entire generation of other potentially good anime I could be watching. Why settle for mediocre garbage when you know the series itself could be so so much better. (Like Fate zero which I enjoyed immensely)

On the subject of image songs, two of my favourites:

Composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, arranged by Kohta Yamamoto and performed by Yui Ishikawa (the voice actress for Mikasa, Violet Evergarden and 2B).

This is a rearrangement of “Call your name” from the first season’s soundtrack. That track has many rearrangements in general.

Composed by Hiroyuki Sawano, arranged by Kohta Yamamoto and performed by Hiroshi Kamiya (the voice actor for Levi).

This is a rearrangement of “The Reluctant Heroes” that’s also from the first season’s soundtrack.

Lord this is slightly unrelated but dang Im conflicted on Mikasa’s character. Shes fiercely loyal, strong, and all that but the whole eren shtick gets annoying after a while (The bechdal test anyone?)

Yes its integral to her growth but I sure would love to see a bit more independence. (Not have her every first word be EREN) I think the manga already has given us more of that growth and signs of maturity but my memory is hazy.

She got mad at Eren for getting Sasha killed she’s a lot less focused on him nowadays. Besides she’s pretty loyal to Armin from the start too and later the other cadets.

That reminds me of something…