First (experimental) game [Done]

Obviously. When established as a duchy, it owed fealty to the King of France. Then, in 1066, the Duke of Normandy became King of England. However, when he died in 1087, he gave England and Normandy to different sons of his. While they would later become connected again, Normandy was still separate in 1100, and owed fealty specifically to the French king.

This sounds like a later era than 1100. The first medieval universities were only just getting started. Paris would’ve been an attractive location for schooling, though their university was yet to be chartered; the English nobility, being largely derived from the Norman conquerors of 1066, had close ties with France. Nobody would’ve been going anywhere to become a lawyer in 1100; it would be later in the middle ages that law codes were more in place. People would be going to Rome for pilgrimages, being a holy site, and being the site of the Pope. Hence, going to Rome for religious reasons, which was what I said.

People talked about homosexual acts rather than a homosexual orientation. The terminology they used was sodomy, which refers to specific acts, which can be performed by a man and a woman as well. The church disapproval was against this, and not against any kind of attraction itself.

Sexual morality was entirely a church matter in 1100 England. No king would bother with it; the church would judge any such cases. That was true all the way until the 1533 law that I mentioned, specifically the Buggery Act. Before that, there was no risk of execution for same-sex relations in England. The king was not an absolute monarch, either.

As an example, while it’s debated whether Richard the Lionheart was involved with other men or not, we can at least note that he did penance for “the sin of sodom” (which he could’ve performed with other men or with women) and… that was it. That was enough to clear him. That’s the penalty for sodomy in 1100. He’s also known to have shared a bed in his youth with Phillippe of France (later king), which didn’t necessarily imply anything sexual; what it does imply is that close intimacy between men was generally socially improved of. Under such circumstances, male couples could have public displays of affection and everything as long as they’d stay discreet about the actual nature of their relationship.

As for lesbians, people weren’t even really talking about that (or, at least, the people who were writing the records). They’d be even less likely to suffer difficulties for their relationships. The main issue would be pressure for marriage.

Things did get worse a few centuries later. And laws would exist in some other parts of Europe. Medieval Europe varied a lot.

Additionally, in this case, having a legal rather than ecclesiastical ban is the anachronism. This is a case where making it a little more open would be more accurate, not a matter of altering history to fit modern norms at all! Anybody could be in a socially-disapproved relationship, male-male, male-female, female-female, facing roughly the same problems if it’s outside of marriage. (Even a little less problem, in that pregnancy was not a risk.)

Why does so much medieval historical fiction feel like it needs to portray things as having been worse for gay people than they actually were?

However…

In that case, you may be better off dispensing with the historical setting. If this is really the way you want your story set up, then having it be set in your own fictional setting would mean that you’re not misrepresenting history.

1 Like

Horseradish for everyone!

Only constructive criticism and accurate points about the story are accepted.

The Kings of Brittany actually had better claims to the Duchy; a pair of poisoned gloves, a marriage and a murder later and history changed.

1 Like

If you’re going to dismiss out of hand accurate points about the setting you’re trying to portray in the story, as well as constructive criticism about the way you’re portraying it and how to either represent it more accurately or simply to consider a fictional setting which would give you more flexibility, including the reactions of other readers, then I can see that any further discussion on these concerns is futile, and will be leaving the thread.

4 Likes

Since @FuLin has now specified what sort of feedback they’re looking for, let’s all respect that.

Quick question: is there a way to block/hide posts or silence users from commenting?

No there is not.

Please note, all the users are actually trying to be helpful.

You can flag posts that break the rules though.

2 Likes

It’s not helpful when they ignore your response and start a war that you try to moderate.
Only some of the users were helpful. And it’s sad to unsubscribe from your own post because you feel attacked.

That’s why I made the moderator post.

I don’t think anyone was deliberately trying to start a war. But I can see how it would be intimidating for a new forum member, who’s excited to have created a game, to be receiving all sorts of feedback they weren’t expecting.

There’s topics that people are really passionate about on this forum. History is one, and gay rights is another. In some topics they’ll be spoken about extensively, and those discussions are welcome.

You’ve now made it clear that you’re looking for a specific sort of feedback and you want comments on that. Hopefully people will now focus on the sort of feedback you want.

I would suggest looking around the forum, playing some of the other games, and providing feedback on them and just participating in other discussion threads.

4 Likes

I would strongly suggest that “37/38/64 different endings” is too many endings. That means most people won’t actually see those endings. You’re actually better to have less endings, and make those endings more rewarding.

I’d suggest having a read of Game Design Archive - Choice of Games LLC

You’ve an interesting narrative voice. Nice and chatty. I’m not sure if it’s actually best served by the setting.

Actually let me elaborate on that a little. I think your narrative voice is amusing, especially when pointing out all the things we don’t have, since it’s history. You’ve got potential for a lot of humour here, if you decide to go that way.

But it does seem to be clashing with the idea people have that this is a historical game. I’d actually suggest, make the most of your narrative voice. Make an attempt to skew the game funny, if you can, poke fun at the cliches of the genre if you like. Aim for something that’s fun, as opposed to historically accurate. I’d even say write fantasy, instead of historical. Although I’m saying that as someone who wrote a very silly ‘historical’ (or is that hysterical) take on Rome with a female Julius Caesar.

So sorry to mention it, but I’ll admit I was surprised when I saw

Upon the request and insistence of others, homosexuality was prohibited throughout the land.

How did this make you feel?

And both the responses were upset. I’d think that makes it clear that you’re not actually in favour of that law.

I think the main reason you’ve not been getting the sort of feedback you’ve asked for is your writing’s fine. There’s no obvious mistakes, and you seem comfortable in your style. It’s a good experimental first game.

I think maybe you want to try and implement some stats next? That’s a good thing to experiment with.

1 Like

What with time, I dont have the ability to get into a CoG right now; but props, my dude. Good job getting to this point, and best of luck going forward!

Thank you so much :3

Updated. :revolving_hearts:

so, some issues

1. should have a non-binary option
  2. I believe its effect not affect
  3. it’s the medieval age, it’s perfectly reasonable for someone to not care about such an ordinance
  4. your story assumes there’s just heterosexuality and homosexuality when there’s also asexuality and bisexuality. It would be good if we could decide whether or not we fell in love with someone at all.
2 Likes

Like the narrating, keep it up I think this has alot of potential.

Thanks for the comment :slight_smile:

Game is done.

1 Like

Done as in NOOOOOO!!!

or done as in YES! YES! YES!

lol, what’s the difference these days?

(yes…)

1 Like

bepends on who you ask lol

But anyway,l i finished a single play through, and i have to say for such a sort story it really captured me;

I hope that you may be able to expand this game into a longer story; but if not that is pwrfectly fine. I will definitely keep an eye out for more of your stories