Final Monologue: A Villain's Journey (Thread Moved to Adult, Link on Post 450)

Well those are certainly subjective measurements. Hell, it’s all subjective.

But “Monologue” will definitely feature your MC experiencing highs and lows. Some of them will be scripted and others will depend on choices and die rolls. No MC will suffer all losses or all triumphs. I don’t think successes mean much if there are no defeats, and vice versa. That’s just basic story structure. Sure, some people want power fantasies but even in power fantasies, there are some obstacles and setbacks.

Anyway, I’m excited for this Friday’s update. New material is already up to 7k words so it will be a much more robust update as opposed to last week’s.

14 Likes

Nice, and I understand it, I meant we should having fun even in losing. If I could give an example, Jack Nicholson Joker, he lost, he is angry but he sure is having fun.

6 Likes

Megamind comes to…mind, too. :supervillain: One of my faves and definitely an inspiration for this game.

10 Likes

Hey!

Poor putty Meister!
I voted for her! (I mean, mostly because I think she’ll be less likely too betray me, but that doesnt matter!! ) (She also seems wholesome soo…) Technofreeze got pissed, and when he does… Stuff gets cold

1 Like

Hmmm…lemme guess…is Technofreeze a Technology Origin, with Flight/Cold Generation Powers and maybe the Medicine Skill? (just a wild guess)

When the game gets a bit further along, I’d love for folks to post their Baddie Builds! That would be kind of awesome.

1 Like

Almost!

Tech origin and cold generation, but, thiugh a jetpack would have been awesome, robots are too cool so its them.

And for the skill, nope!

Vehicle driving, because there is nothing more awesome than crash-landing a choper into a hero meeting!

2 Likes

Can I ask why mind-control mc didn’t just compel the princess into handing the painting over?

1 Like

my villain is going to be a shape-shifting alien like “the thing”, but I can’t decide if the second power is regeneration or growth.

I haven’t really settled yet on my villain’s powers, tbh. Probably want to wait to see more of how they’re used before I decide. But currently I’m leaning toward Mind Control + Death Traps.

@N_K the powers that can be used for a particular obstacle are rotated. So there is no real narrative reason why you couldn’t mind control the princess. It’s just that if I let players spam MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL MIND CONTROL over and over, it wouldn’t really be a game. :smile: Basically, obstacles will come in clusters of 4, so roughly every 4 options or so, you’ll be able to use a Power. For the other obstacles, you can perhaps use your other Power or your Skill(s), or roll based on the Attributes being tested (picking the Mind Control Power would boost your Genius, making any Genius roll easier).

Hopefully after Friday’s update, the basic mechanics and structure will be more clear. I’m doing a Module approach, so after I finish with the “Early Career Module,” I’ll make that clear, and then I’ll repeat the structure and do a “Mid Career Module,” etc etc. I hope that makes sense.

@G98 you’ll get to see those power sets in action on Friday; it might help you decide?

@geldar if I get a few thousand more words done, I’ll get options 2-4 all finished and uploaded for Friday’s update, which means that all Powers will have been rotated in once. If you go Mind Control/Death Traps, you might want to pick Technology Origin for the +2 Genius, but you don’t have to; you’ll have chances to boost your stats throughout the game.

5 Likes

I’m going with Alien, which totally doesn’t help the stats, but I think it fits the character best. Basically going for “Alien prepares for invasion by exposing political failures of current system.” (So Dominance+ Political Change, but not necessarily good political change)

Also, not sure what you mean by picking Human with those powers? Humans aren’t able to get powers. Or do they get them later on in the game?

1 Like

No, I was speaking about the other Origins. Humans will never get Powers. I think I have balanced them with the other Origins, considering the 4 small Attribute boosts and the extra Skill, but I can always tweak stuff later if testing shows they are too far out of whack.

4 Likes

Wasn’t a balance concern, I’m just confused what you meant by this:

since those are mutually exclusive.

2 Likes

When you get older, you have brain misfunctions like that! :older_man:

You are totally right.

Just finished the demo and I really like what it is building up to be even though I’m not a big fan of dice roll mechanics in IF. The writing is great even with the little bit here right now and already reminding me of Zip which is great! (Speaking of which, I need to go back and do a 30th run cause I miss it so much lol)

I’m looking forward to more of this and congrats on what you have written so far!

1 Like

Beautiful

1 Like

Bless you for mentioning Zip, which will always hold a special place in my heart.

The tone of Monologue has become, not intentionally at all, pretty identical to that of Zip. Basically I could see this game being in the same universe as Zip, just told from a villain’s POV. I sort of wish the MC could team up with a (younger) Sloth, but there are reasons I can’t do that.

5 Likes

I played with the magic origin. While having cold generation and regeneration and the language one as a skill.

1 Like

Zip is in my top games here still and my favorite of your games. While Monologue being set in the same universe could be interesting, its not really needed and I think its cool to be its own thing.

Forgot to say, I really like the amount of powers and origin choices! I only had a chance to make one villai-…uh mastermind who does questionable acts for the good of mankind. I went with tech origin, political change, robots, and peons. Then I realized I pretty much unintentionally created Dr. Doom lol

Also it kind of sealed that process when I chose that I wanted to rule from my own country…so basically Latveria. All of this I realized, after I finished. I teamed with Golden Fox and also went for an intimate relationship with the Hero. I really cant wait for more of this!

2 Likes

I went ahead and updated instead of waiting until Friday. There’s no way I’ll get another chunk done between now and then, anyway. There was no point sitting on it.

The game is up to about 24,000 words, which means I’ve added 10,000 words in just 6 days. That’s a pretty quick pace for me, but I’m really just SUPER enjoying writing this (plus I knocked out 3k words last Saturday at a write-o-thon with my writers’ group, which helped my productivity).

The game should be cleanish, but I’m sure there are some typos. If you find any coding bugs, please bring them to my attention!

What’s new?

• Three more missions! That means EVERY Attribute, every Power, every Skill has now been tested.
  • Meeting a potential sidekick!
  • A bit more customization re: the source of your powers.
  • A save system with 10 save slots!
28 Likes