Fields of Asphodel [A Greek Mythology WIP] [Updated 30 November 2023 - Now Editing for Publication!]

I really like your prose, your descriptions are so evocative.
Really enjoyed the demo!

4 Likes

Okay okay I haven’t really started to read this yet but I have something to say.
I really don’t care whether the NPC flirt with me or not. But I admit sometime it feels weird if it happens with a npc of a gender my PC clearly stated isn’t interested in. It feels kinda pushy. But I really don’t mind as a reader it just makes me dislike the character. But the reason I wanted to note this because I just loved the option to whether you want to get flirted with or not. Not because I care but i felt soo considered xD. I don’t know why but it was for some reason really endearing that you asked whether the reader is comfortable with it. I mean I set it on anyway but it was a nice feeling kinda like someone looking out for you.
Thank you very much I honestly don’t know why but this just made my day

6 Likes

Is it possible to run away to the mortal realm, and live out the rest of my days as a humble wheat farmer named Steve?

15 Likes

Oh I see… The protective Hades dream is alive! :joy: On a more serious note tho, it makes sense. Besides, my Persephone was not intimidated by Alekto anyway. She is not a “pushover” and can stand up for herself (like mother, like daughter when it comes to confidence). So good luck Alekto… :smirk:

3 Likes

Wow! I really loved what I’ve read so far. I love the gardening options c:

Also Idk if it’s just me but the transitions between chapters is really long, it loads eventually but it takes a long time.

1 Like

I think that’s just dashingdon. It’s been happening to me in various demos for two or three days in a row now.

7 Likes

Ahh I see thanks for letting me know!

1 Like

There’s something about getting past an initial bad start and gradually lowering a character’s defenses, I think. Alekto was definitely written with that something in mind. :slight_smile:

Well I’m glad! That was definitely the point of the toggle. For some people, it’s a comfort thing; others don’t really mind so much either way, and some expressed decided interest in NPCs taking initiative, so I just wanted to be able to accommodate!

Alas this may be slightly outside the realm of possibilities. :crying_cat_face:

Oh boy…

There shall certainly be plenty of them, heh. I’m getting that a lot of people quite like the default plant-y domain of the PC, which is cool. There will be others, but I’m glad some will likely stick to developing what’s there already.

As always, thanks for being here, y’all.

21 Likes

Overall, I enjoyed the demo and will keep and eye on it to see where it goes! I really liked the idea of having a fidget/body-focused repetitive behavior, and I think this will be an interesting mechanic to see throughout the game. The fates seem like a lot of fun and I hope we get to see more of them.

Most of what I have below are very small suggestions since this is still just the set up for the story at this point and any of my larger concerns are likely to be addressed probably in the next chapter.

Suggestion 1 (the hair fidget): I mean, maybe I just have really good hair elasticity, but tugging at the ends of my hair never really hurts. I would the say the prickles of pain are much more consistent with what it is like what I actually pull out strands of my hair.

Suggestion 2 (hair length choices): in the prologue there are the “but it’s neat” options and then a general option for each length which implies that by selecting the general option that your hair is not particularly neat. However, in the flavor text for the general options, it explicitly says your hair is neat. Basically, I don’t think you need the neatness options since they don’t change anything.

Suggestion 3 (stats screen): I feel like this game is one that would benefit from having a stats explanation/ definition

3 Likes

Same. My MC so far is eager for the freedom of heading to the Underworld, completely fine talking shit to Zeus, and only being nice to people as long as they’re nice to her. Since Alekto hasn’t been nice, my MC won’t be nice either :rofl:

2 Likes

I am definitely among this number. I always hate it when I’m forced to make the first (or only) move in games.

If I remember correctly, the choice is more to suggest how strongly you feel about taking care of it. I think one option suggests that you don’t much care how it looks, while the other implies that you actually put effort into making it look nice.

1 Like

Is the next part the one where you tell me our MC would have no chance against Alekto…? :rofl:

I hope not… Such a hit for my Persephone self-confidence and Demeter wouldn’t be “proud”! :see_no_evil:

But honestly, I’m just curious how the MC and Alekto relationship will develop with time. Since we don’t really know anything about her character yet, and there is probably some story behind this behavior.

4 Likes

She’s the Minister of Punishments, I know who I’d put money on in a fight or argument between the two. Hint: it’s not Persephone :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Have some faith @Autumn19! Come on! :sweat_smile:

I mean… Maybeee we can… Grow some huge angry plant that will defend us…? :seedling: :flushed:

No?

Well… In the worst-case scenario we can always hide behind His Deathliness! #TeamHades

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure we can find a bigger version in Demeter’s garden. She’s probably raising some for Zeus and Hades.

7 Likes

I’m one of those people that’s glad this exists. I don’t always want to be the one initiating anything lol
So I’m super happy we could decide for that!

12 Likes

I’m glad this was included too, some people like it because they might be playing a particularly shy character who wouldn’t be forward enough, but I feel it adds a deeper sense of realism and depth to the characters, they behave more like real people and less like cutouts in that they have attractions and wants of their own and they choose to act on them, the MC can still turn them away obviously but it’s a nice feature to include.

12 Likes

Ahh @moonfungus bringing me solutions, not problems! :grin:
I would dare to say that Demeter probably has a lovely horde of them at this point.

I agree, I’m really happy about this option. Since, I personally love when other characters can be atractted to the MC on their own. Even if I don’t really play shy characters, I just simply like to see the initiative from someone else then MC all the time. It’s refreshing and makes things more interesting. However in the same time, I understand that it’s not for everyone, some people may find it uncomfortable and that’s totally fine. So the option to toggle this on/off is a great feature! :nerd_face:

10 Likes

Love the choice variety, bookmarking this one.

2 Likes

Oh my word, I am loving this. You really seem to have thought of everything I could want so far, and I really enjoy your descriptions of everything. This looks like it will be amazing, and I can’t wait for chapter two.

2 Likes