Fields of Asphodel [A Greek Mythology WIP] [Updated 30 November 2023 - Now Editing for Publication!]

This will definitely come up later. It varies considerably from the myth, for reasons that @MadAdam touches on in his really nice explanation of the myth above. But I think it’s a very fitting topic of conversation for the PC and Hades, so it’ll definitely show up soon!

Absolutely; I’ll code this in.

And options for PC’s nature to change will be showing up here, too! Hopefully multiple. :slight_smile:

I dunno if it makes a difference, but she’s adopted.

I definitely wanted to make this possible for those who were inclined away from making the first move themselves, heh.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, everyone; I really appreciate it!

29 Likes

Oh yay!we got to meet Makaria and Ceberous already!!
I play the demo when it’s only has prologue, and Im so happy we got to meet them in the first chapter!! <3

4 Likes

Not sure if this happens to anyone else, but half way through I checked the Show Stats and the game completely reset for me. Same goes when I load up the save slot. I really love how it goes from many different routes, kinda like the whole myth with Persephone getting kidnapped vs arranged marriage sorta deal. Can’t wait to see whats in store in the next chapter!

1 Like

Ah, I apologize. This may be because I’ve been actively updating over the course of the day in response to feedback. I’ll have a look to make sure nothing extra-weird is going on, but I do know from experience that sometimes that messes with things a bit.

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game so far though; thanks for pointing this out. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Okay so…I played the update now and aaaah, I love it. And I already love Cerberus and Makaria. That’s it, it’s decided. I adopt them both!

4 Likes

Do we need to watch out for Pomegranates?

8 Likes

Any plot-significant pomegranate consumption will be entirely voluntary. Cross my heart. :slight_smile:

30 Likes

Will Thanatos be appearing or will his role be merged with Hades?

1 Like

The latter. I’ve had to make a couple strategic mergers of this kind just due to the need to keep a manageable cast size. For this story’s purposes, they are one and the same entity.

7 Likes

Don’t spoil anymore :wink: … I am currently reading …

First feedback: You are extremely nice to your readers…

:two_hearts:

9 Likes

Whoops! I really do need to remember to use spoiler tags. o_o

But thank you, Eiwynn. I do want everyone to enjoy themselves. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I’ve been a big fan of Greek myth for a long time and I wouldn’t call it adorable, if anything the farthest thing from it. But this was strangely adorable and what you have already was a delight to read, I’m glad it was posted here or I never would of found it otherwise so thank you for that too. Just to be more helpful so I’m not just gushing, I did notice a few typos, mostly e’s dropped from the end of words such as “come” for example but I’m sure you’ve probably already caught those.

Definitely bumping this up towards the top of my stories to watch, good luck with your writing! :grin:

7 Likes

Just ran through the demo so far, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I’m not generally a huge Greek mythology buff, but I felt like you did a good job setting up the world(s) and characters in such a way that they sort of … I don’t know, evoke the gods I know about while still feeling like their own characters and having unique personalities to this story. I liked pretty much all of the characters to one degree or another, and I’m looking forward to what you do with them in the future.

I think you’re doing a great job at balancing the odd circumstances and potential fear and resentment of it (while removing most of the, uh, yikes qualities of the original tale), but also allowing for it to be something that Dionysephone actually is kind of into. I feel like you did a particularly great job with Demeter, and the potential conflict or alignment she and PC may have, and just their complicated relationship in general (And all within a few pages!)

Definitely looking forward to what’s next. Good work! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Uhm… is it just me or does the link for the demo not work? Idk ive been trying for the past couple hours now and it just doesnt seem to work? I dunno…

I just tried it; it worked for me.

1 Like

It was being slow with me earlier as well. I closed the tab and then came back and it worked much better.

I think @Jaybirdy mentioned in an earlier post about how they were updating the demo during the day and that could be causing some slow connection issues I think.

@bric
That’s most likely the case then. :grin:

Hey Jess,

I think you found a wonderful balance between the known mythology and a fresh take through your new telling of a classic tale. Well done.

About the only thing I would suggest would be a glossary or a “Dramatis Personae” that gives a small blurb on each of the reoccurring NPC characters. A blurb can be a one or two sentence explanation such as: Mercury - Messenger of the gods. Travels on wings.

We are all very excited to see this continue.

:slight_smile:

Edit:

Remember to clear your browser’s cache and/or start a session in a private window. The more browsers get updated, it seems the more finicky they become.

7 Likes

@Fionavar @QuixquillianParadise @Autumn19 I was having an issue with things being slow earlier too, but I assumed it was because of something with my own connection (because it wasn’t just this demo, it was any demo I tried to read). Maybe dashingdon was just having issues?

5 Likes

Sooo… I played again and as much as I’m tempted to just start shamelessly gushing about your WIP all over again. I will do my best to contain myself and be at least a little bit useful. :see_no_evil: If I may suggest something… I will use [spoiler] just in case!

• The final goodbye scene with Demeter. It would be nice to maybe have a confident but in the same time still rather friendly/gentle response. My Persephone wouldn’t be “overemotional” but also not really cold or dismissive towards Demeter. And I felt like there was no option in-between for her atm (if that makes sense? :thinking:). To give a weak example, something along the lines - Smile “Don’t worry Mother, I will be fine. After all I’m a big girl (for my MC) and I can look after myself.”

• During breakfast when Daeira tells us about the meeting to sign the contract. Some response to just simply acknowledge the fact would be lovely. I think my Persephone would be aware that it’s a necessary procedure but just straight up ignoring Daeira by remaining silent felt rude. Example - Smile “Of course.”

• Signing the contract scene. Maybe we could just sign it without any comment? :sweat_smile:

Well… That’s it! :grin: I hope it makes any sense and maybe it will be useful in some way, shape or form.

I would also like to point out that I’m more then ready to adopt both Makaria and Kerberos! :two_hearts:

11 Likes