Fields of Asphodel [A Greek Mythology WIP] [Updated 30 November 2023 - Now Editing for Publication!]

To clarify, the only kind of initiative I’m changing with the toggle is the romantic/flirting kind. The characters even when that is off “take initiative” in all other ways as befits their personalities. Also, it’s only an option; no one is being forced to pick it. :slight_smile:

As for what some others have asked about the effects of the Underworld on the PC, there’s very specific plot-related reasons it does what it does and doesn’t do what it doesn’t do, so I’m not really looking for suggestions on that front. PC can of course experience some personal difficulty adapting to things like not having a lot of sunlight, but in fact being a life deity makes them especially resilient, physically speaking, and being half-human makes them adaptable in ways lots of full-fledged deities aren’t.

As for how exactly that’ll all shake out, well… I hope you stay tuned to find out!

22 Likes

Anyone else having a problem playing the demo? I got to chapter 4, but it wouldn’t load, and now I’m having difficulty playing any demos, it just kind of loads and loads and never really stops.

1 Like

It seems like dashingdon (the hosting site for CS WIPs) is down. This very occasionally happens; usually due to a high volume of activity for one reason or another. (E.g. I think the last time this occurred Wayhaven had just dropped a demo). It’ll be back up eventually. :slight_smile:

19 Likes

Yes :joy: that was wild

Has there been any fanart or official art yet?

All the art, official or fan, that’s been made for the game so far can be found here. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Super excited to play the new chapter

My poor MC. Been hitting on Hades from the beginning and he still hasn’t really budged :sleepy: lol

18 Likes

Hubby please get a hint :disappointed_relieved:

7 Likes

Hi, hi!
Just finished playing and damnnn this is good! I like characters, their personalities and their interactions with MC! Also, hmm it’s plus and minus (if I can say it) that our possible RO are so… dense… (but it also kinda funny, ngl)
Oh, also I really like that we have such a loving auntie (Hestia)! aaand I’m quite curious about our mother. Like… is she really that bad mother? Or is it only our pov and she isn’t that bad? Yes, this is a thing that I’m really curious about bc she is giving me kinda red flags but also… I don’t know, maybe im thinking too much about it… Still not sure how to treat her.
Well, anyway, great game and I’m waiting for more updates! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sparkles::purple_heart:

5 Likes

Hi there!

I’m glad you’re enjoying the game so far. Demeter’s character is very intentionally up for interpretation. There are things she has canonically done and said, which are at times revealed in the game, and then of course there’s how she acts onscreen, but how the player and their character interprets that is something I very purposefully left open. Is she smothering to the point of abusive? Or does she just do the best she can in the strange situation of raising a demideity on Olympus? Maybe for some people both are true. It has a lot I think to do with what the player brings to the table and how they interpret what isn’t directly said, and there’s enough gaps there that multiple interpretations are valid! Or so I hope, anyway.

Also for those of you hoping for a bit more out of your ROs… Chapter Five will hopefully start heading in the right direction for you. :slight_smile:

25 Likes

I love that our relationship with her is up to interpretation. It allows us to shape MC reactions to their situation and resulting personality. It’s so much fun to test the options, I replayed and found out different options were more fitting to the character I wanted to build, and it makes MC feel way more organic.

7 Likes

Loving the story so far, but just made it to dinner and I gotta say, Hades is not the God of Death. Thanatos is the God of Death, Hades is the God of the Dead and the Underworld.

1 Like

here is an explanation on tumblr
within the game’s setting, Thanatos’ domain belongs to Hades :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Except when Thanatos and Hades are the same person, like in Euripides’ play Alkestis.

That is when he wasn’t being the same god as Zeus, or Dionysus, or all three deities at the exact same time.

Then there is his side gig as Uragus, god of fire.

Or being the patron of augurs as the Blind God.

There are closer to a thousand Hades myths than there is one single myth.

3 Likes

Mythic stories have so many different and variant historic sources to draw upon, that is the beauty of writing in this genre…

More importantly, when creating your modern versions of the characters, you have the freedom to go into new directions or vary things up, just because there is no one orthodoxy involved.

Regarding this work; it is one of my favorite WiP, because Jess takes everything and owns it as her own. It is hard doing this while keeping the authenticity and feel of being a mythic story.

Great job, @Jaybirdy … keep on doing you!

14 Likes

Thanks, Eiwynn; I really appreciate the sentiment. That’s the goal anyway—to make something not 100% accurate to every myth (an impossibility anyway, given how much the myths themselves vary), but at least in the right spirit, perhaps with a sensibility more suited to a modern audience, and of course some more in-depth characterization in many cases.

Mythic storytelling tends to be pretty spare on the psychology of characters, so it’s been fun to be able to delve and take some liberties with that kind of thing in particular.

24 Likes

Woah it seems so silent

1 Like

Yeah the thread doesn’t always get much activity, heh. In fairness, I haven’t updated in a bit, so that’s pretty understandable. I should have one to drop sometime in February, though!

39 Likes

Woah, I’m very excited to see the new update.