The Fernweh Saga (Scheduled Release: 5 January!) [Book One is 600k]

I love it ~ that bit with the detective, when you choose to have your mc feel a bit bad chef’s kiss

4 Likes

@AAChmielewski Awesome! I’m glad you’re excited.

@redfield I’m so happy you’re enjoying it; the reunion scenes with J were really fun to write. :smiley:

I meant to post these last night, but forgot; however, here are the Chapter 4 teasers for B and S. I will try to post R and J’s tonight, so long as I’m not double replying to the thread.

B. Warrick Chapter 4 Teaser (Update 8th July)

B fixed Chaper 4

S. Dorran Chapter 4 Teaser (Update 8th July)

S chapter 4

Best wishes!

17 Likes

It looks cool. Still most excited for R and J’s though.

3 Likes

Sounds great, will check out after my nap

2 Likes

@Sheaon13 Thanks! You can find J and R’s below. :smiley:

@HeliosTheAll-Seeing Glad it caught your interest!

The final teasers for Chapter 4 are below. I hope that they have piqued your curiosity, especially J and B’s; there are hints about what will unfold in the next update.

R. Verner Chapter 4 Teaser (Update 8th July)

(Copy) (Copy) Untitled

J. Corvin Chapter 4 Teaser (Update 8th July)

(Copy) (Copy) (Copy) (Copy) Untitled

Best wishes!

17 Likes

I have played it and well, Jane… :smirk: here I come :grin: she already has my heart with all her brooding! Is there a love triangle?

1 Like

No, but there is a POLY route between J and R.

2 Likes

Chapter Four [ 37k words ] is now added to the public demo, which brings the total playable word count of the game to around 119k words ! :green_heart:

I moved the update earlier than originally planned due to your support and appreciate y’all taking an interest, reblogging my posts, creating art/edits, and being so kind about my interactive fiction game.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Fernweh!

Chapter Four includes:

• The long awaited cabin exploration that has a lot of variations.
  • You get to learn what really happened to your grandfather…(Sort of?)
  • A nice, home cooked meal with mashed potatoes.
  • A unique glimpse into your past influenced by your choices.
  • Clues! Hints! Misdirections! Some questionable items…!
  • RO moments and friendship moments; there is a lot of character interaction in this chapter. Personality will impact how you react to the environment and how characters respond to you.
  • So many choices.
  • Have fun playing and re-playing to uncover different experiences, but remember that things are not always what they seem in Fernweh…:blush:

Use the demo link in the first post to play the new chapter. :smiley:

My Tumblr | Masterpost (game info, features, ROs, etc. Reblogs are appreciated.)

I will be updating the Chapter 5 Teaser and the next anticipated update date in a moment.

55 Likes

Love the update! I’m incredibly invested in the story, also, great work on characters, they are interesting and lifelike. The mystery is thrilling and intriguing! Great job!

2 Likes

In the candle lighting seen this sentence: “It’s a matter of should not could, and I believe we should respect the creative choice Ushima made,” Reese claims, unworried about respecting tradition when the idea sounds fun. Should be “It’s a matter of should not rather than could not, and I believe we should respect the creative choice Ushima made,” Reese claims, unworried about respecting tradition when the idea sounds fun. Or something along those lines. There just needs to be something in the middle of Should not and could. I’m sorry in advance if I offended you or anything with this… I usually don’t point out this kind of thing but no-one else has and… and I want it to be really, really good and… yeah… I’m sorry if I’m overstepping or anything…

3 Likes

Such a large update already? Impressive! I’m looking forward to reading this after work. I can’t wait to have more interactions with the group. This is one of those few times that I’m interested in exploring every RO route; and analysing the creepy townsfolk further is something I’ve been thinking about since you published this gem. Cheers!

4 Likes

This is seriously one of my favorite WIPs out there, I’m shocked/thrilled we got such a huge update so quickly!!! I’ve replayed it multiple times already, it’s crazy how many tiny details change just based on seemingly minor choices

On kind of a morbid sidenote, will we be able to ask if our grandfather was suffering when he died? My MC has complicated feelings about their relationship, but after hearing about the gruesome condition of his body, my stomach dropped. The idea of someone suffering those wounds while alive, or him taking awhile to die, all alone, was all I could think about :cry: will there be a chance to ask the detective about this? Or did I maybe miss them addressing it at some point?

5 Likes

Nice Update i like the snippets of insight into the psyche of the other characters and the subtle changes when pursuing a different RO.

Also a compliment for the use of chekhov’s Gun with the appearance of a character like this. Chefs kiss for that.

1 Like

I know I should Be gushing about the amazing characters and the suspenseful ambience but all I can focus on is the Stray ^_^’ the “there’s a puppy!!!” Is exactly how I would react irl. I hope we’ll be able to pet the puppy!

Bugs/Typos

1 Like

@HeliosTheAll-Seeing I’m glad J caught your interest. I see someone answered the love triangle question, but wanted to thank you for reading!

@AAChmielewski Aw, thank you! :slightly_smiling_face: I’m happy to hear that you are invested in the story and its characters; we will learn more over time at a somewhat slow pace due to the mystery, so this is motivating to me.

@Sheaon13 No worries! I appreciate you pointing that out to be helpful and that you want the story to be the best it can be. I intentionally made that particular turn of phrase a little more ‘lax’ or ‘informal’ since it’s when someone is speaking; however, I’ll give the scene another read through.

@Lea_Boucher Oh, wow, that’s quite a compliment! Thank you. I hope to make the ROs interesting in different ways with their perceived personality strengths and potential flaws uniquely shaping the route in tandem with the MC’s choices. Analyzing the creepy townfolk will be made more interesting with what your MC learns at the cabin. Thank you for your comment and I hope work goes well! :green_heart:

@alliebee Wow! Thanks for saying this WIP is one of your faves. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Moving the update earlier was partially due to the community taking well to it and the interest, so thank y’all. I tend to use writing for escapism and want to offer that feeling to readers too. Once I get really invested writing a scene/arc, it can go by pretty quickly, plus the amount of variation in Chapter 4 was very fun to write. The fact you’ve replayed multiple times and caught those tiny details, if not sought them out, means so much!

That is a good question! There will be a bit of future explanation on the how and why with what I have outlined now, but it is meant to discomfit you and make your wonder about the circumstances. It is important to keep in mind that the MC technically only heard the ‘carving’ aspect, so J may have more explaining to do or the extent of the injuries will need to be addressed in the future. We will learn more as the plot progresses. I think it’s neat that your MC has complicated feelings regarding their grandfather–I always wonder how people elect to view him.

@Isi_Talks I’m glad you enjoyed it and I personally love delving a bit into the psyches/perspectives of the other characters to give more hints about feelings/context/etc.

Chekhov’s Gun is something that I think I have heard about in relation to film before and I just looked up the meaning. I think it can also apply to Milton (the kid with the truck)? Maybe with how he appears in the introduction and is mentioned again with the search effort. Thank you!

@Lihn_Gargoyle Oh, I enjoyed including that option and guessed that a lot of players would select it. I won’t make any promises about the puppy; however, you taking an interest in the stray may result in some things in the future. :wink: I appreciate you taking the time to play the game and I have fixed those typos. The one with ‘B’ is actually you calling them by a nickname or being more familiar, so it’s supposed to be there. :smiley:

12 Likes

Yes, exactly and I am a sucker for that concept. I think it is a telltale for a good author btw :wink:

2 Likes

It doesn’t really read as informal there. It more reads as just wrong and a bit off with the way it’s worded. I don’t mean to offend or anything there. I’m a writer myself so I guess I just see these kinds of things a lot more easily? I get what your going for now so rather than wouldn’t really make sense there. But maybe another word or something? Just to make it flow and sound a bit better. Because otherwise it feels like I’m trying to puzzle out exactly what R is trying to say.

1 Like

We were supposed to die in that fire weren’t we? Our grandfather, who was remembering things that didn’t happen yet, shut us in a fireproof bunker then shipped us out of Fernweh as soon as possible. <— Just a theory, so feel free to skip over it. Except you author.

Also, I know you were taking music requests on your tumblr, but is it okay if I post them here? I keep running over the character limit on asks. :sweat_smile: Also if I’ve suggested enough please feel free to tell me, I wouldn’t want to be an annoyance or anything.

Finally, thank you for putting so much effort into such a wonderful story! I must have replayed the cabin scene about ten times just to try and see all the different character combinations. R & B are adorable. :heart:

7 Likes

I like your theory. Seems like all the evidence supports it.

2 Likes

What a great update. I got so carried away with reading that I forgot to check around for any bugs, immersion breaking, or spelling errors.

Usually I’m not at all into the polyamorous routes because of how they’re commonly established before the story or I feel like a third wheel (actually, I don’t think I can name one pairing that I can enjoy except for this one? No shade to other authors!) The relationship between R and J feels like I’m witnessing the two learning about their dynamic and watching it progress. It’s enjoyable to see the two interacting. And I felt like my MC was a part of the team rather than an intrusion. Still, jumpy and pessimistic B is my favourite route. That friendship dynamic always gets me in every book. Oof.

The difference each choice makes is noticeable and it makes slipping into the story easy. I feel like I’m playing a different character each time rather than just another personality (if that makes sense?) I’m taking some inspiration from that myself. Great work there, seriously.

The cabin scene was a very interesting. Learning more about the MC’s grandfather through his journal and being able to choose options to fill it out with was actually pretty enlightening. I mean the portrait threw me the heck off, how did he do that? Was it him? I must know! And the mention of a stray he kind of adopted? Naww. I hope that we get to meet it soon— maybe in the forest?

By the bloody way, how dare you stop the update where you did! :joy: I was so invested in seeing wtf was going on when I realised that the kid in the beginning was missing. Is he going to turn up like a candy cane too?

I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens next. Take your time, the effort you put in is so obvious—you deserve a little break. Take care!

6 Likes