Feedback about the Beta Process

A multi-phase testing period with different goals during each phase is important. Choosing a testing team is hard as well. That is why developing relationship with testers is a very important but very underappreciated task that authors and developers need to do.

I’ve tested games for a very long time. I’ve known, as friends, developers for years. When a developer starts a project they know me, know what I am good at testing and what I’m not very good at testing. So, when someone I know says: “Hey, I have this project I’m working on,” both of us know what the other is bringing to the table.

This may not be viable at this time, but the WiP forum is a very valuable screening tool -if it is utilized by the author. You’re absolutely correct, time, effort and energy is going to be expended by everyone to get that done - but if you want a product tested right - it is going to need to be done.

I know some people are gun-shy about public or group feedback and if you provide an email or PM source where they can give the private feedback then you can have them in your group testing as well.

As far as wanting the same people - maybe. It depends on everyone’s strengths. Someone might be very good at picking up continuity errors and logical break-downs and so you want them in on the testing early. Another may be really good at misspellings and grammar and so bringing them in later might be a good idea.

Also, if your story is a historical setting and deep in politics or military jumk, then observe the forum users in @Cataphrak or @Goshman’s threads. Both of those authors have a hard-core following that would be wonderful for your project… if you want more fanciful, bright 18th century type of story telling, look at @jeantown or @Fiogan’s threads… their fans love the good story set in mystery and mystic.

Sending blind feedback to an email addy not knowing anything about the entire process - schedule, testing needs, goals and wants is not a very productive way of conducting testing. I’m sorry, it is not.

I’d be happy to share my views and experience but I don’t need to be lectured or preached at either.

@H2O’s post put me on the defensive (hence why I did not respond to it) - because they seem to believe I want a golden lollypop and the keys to the Chocolate Factory in order to participate in testing.

Not at all.

8 Likes