Love Interests in Choice of Games or Hosted Games

Who is your favourite love interest in a CoG or HG?

For me it’s either Mindy in Zombie Exodus or Evelyn Ecstasy in Slammed.

41 Likes

Miss Caraway from Tin Star

31 Likes

My favorite was Alison from Psy High, though, as with all CoG games, I wish the romance was more fully developed; it’s part of the story, but not a particularly important part. I think that’s probably the biggest drawback to all choice-based games: the more freedom you give the players, the less weight you can give their decisions. Even BioWare has trouble with this, and their budgets are enormous.

27 Likes

Tom from ZE, Breden from Fatehaven or Semryu from Way Walkers :wink:

It was a hard decision ;-;

7 Likes

Semryu from Way Walkers. c:

25 Likes

Patch from fatehaven. :slight_smile:

32 Likes

Porter, the MC in just about every story I played trough :blush:

5 Likes

Absolutely Semryu from Way Walkers. :blush:

6 Likes

I don’t think anyone’s actually written a romance game yet. Generally we’re getting romances with the same sort of depth you’d expect in your typical action/sci-fi/fantasy movie. While they exist, they’re very much a reward for being the protagonist as opposed to the actual point. Admittedly some games integrate the romances better than others.

I’d say Psy High didn’t do too badly on that front. It was tied in with your friendship, tied in with the prom, and was with characters that did have a bit more of a part to play than just as a romantic object.

I wonder if it’s because the games push plot first and foremost.

Okay! To answer the question.

I like JJ in Slammed, and E. Ecstasy. I’ll always be fond of Villeneuve in Broadsides, I just wish the ending took into consideration that romance. @P_Tigras talked me into liking Black Magic a long time ago and appreciating it for the train wreck it is, although Jenny’s likely the better rounded character, and there is something amusing about ending up with Jury the first two games don’t really support that as an option. And Ashleigh Wakefield from Deathless.

25 Likes

I AM 200% INCAPABLE OF PICKING JUST ONE CHARACTER

From completed games:

• Devlin from Zombie Exodus
  • Semryu from Way Walkers
  • Patch from Fatehaven
  • Gill from Lost Heir
  • Karl from Lost Heir
  • Yiska from Tin Star
  • Silas from Choice of Vampires

From WIPs:

• Hunter, Taylor or Wendy from Monster High
  • Arthur or Lancelot from Guenevere
  • Jess from The Spiral Kingdom
  • Alex from Team Zero
  • Castor from The Girl of Time
39 Likes

Hmm interesting that most people are picking Hosted Games. I’m wondering if people think the romances are implemented better there?

6 Likes

Ren from Creatures such as we, Sylvana from Fate Haven.

5 Likes

JJ in Slammed, I think. Mostly because the relationship between the protagonist and JJ is an important part of the game (regardless of whether you romance them), so I felt like it really had weight. Other than that, probably Jenny from Heroes Rise. That romance felt very organic and appropriate.
One character I also still remember (which says a lot, because I honestly have trouble remembering any of the love interests from the other games) was Carl/a from Psy High. I didn’t even like her that much (the whole drugs thing turned me off), but her personality stayed with me and I probably enjoyed her romance the most out of the ones available in the game.

5 Likes

I believe it’s because the majority of Hosted Games spring to life from the forums so ROs evolve with fan feedback. CoGs are tested off site mostly via closed beta testing.

For a case in point using Unnatural, Denise and Victor became ROs because people asked for them and I was talked into adding them and they were popular.

15 Likes

From published games:

• Semryu from Way Walkers
  • Black Magic from Heroes Rise (In the first game I couldn’t stand him because he seemed pretty one-dimensional, but as he evolved over the course of the series I came to really like him).
  • Ashleigh Wakefield from Deathless
  • Kasador from Apex Patrol

From WIPs:

• Arthur and Lance from Guenevere (I’m a sucker for the knight-in-shining-armor type, and Arthur is just so cute!)
  • Breden from Choice of Rebels

@FairyGodfeather A lot of the romances in official games feel tacked-on and not fully developed. And like @Nocturnal_Stillness said, the hosted games have the benefit of feedback from the forums.

10 Likes

@Nocturnal_Stillness There’s a few examples of characters from the official games that were added because of player demand. If I recall correctly, Jenny, Prodigal (and possibly Jury although he really felt like a last minute thougth) from Heroes Rise. Villeneuve from Broadsides. Vega from Romance. With Jenny and Villeneuve both being patched on to a finished game, while the others show up on sequels. There might be others as well.

@Mirabella Oh! Heh! Kasador was awesome!

And yes, I agree. In some of the games they feel patched on and not fully integrated.

4 Likes

I remember that Garrus and Tali from Mass Effect were made into love interests in the second game due to fan demand. They felt more like real people since the developers weren’t writing them with a romance in mind.

17 Likes

I wonder why nobody mentioned Choice of Romance… Was it really that bad?

6 Likes

No it was a great game, it just wasn’t about romance.

27 Likes

Ashleigh Wakefield from Choice of the Deathless

5 Likes