Favorite Quote?

Hounded day and night through the smoldering ruins of our nation’s former glory, our cause seems long lost.
But we think back to 1776, to Washington, his army swept from New York and New Jersey by the Redcoats, only to return across the icy Delaware and against all odds deliver a glorious victory at Trenton. Our fathers fought on, and so shall we!
We will unite against these rebels, and return the rule of law to our great nation! We fight on! So rally to the flag, men, for our homes, our families, and our future, we will fight on, as our fathers did! We proclaim this sacred oath!
DOWN WITH THE TRAITORS! UP WITH THE STARS! DOWN WITH THE TRAITORS! UP WITH THE STARS!

World of Kaiserreich - US Civil War

“The greater the understanding, the greater the delusion; the more intelligent, the less sane.”
-George Orwell

“I mention this occasionally, but if you’re doing fan art, never worry about getting details just right. Authors love seeing how their characters looked through YOUR eyes.”
-Sam Sykes on Twitter lol

“One day, I won’t be here to take care of you anymore. You’ll have to protect yourself, and make your choices… Decide who you are, and wanna become… This world doesn’t like those who are different, Markus. Don’t let anyone tell you who you should be.”
-Carl to Markus, Detroit: Become Human

These are just some of the quotes that left an impression on me when I first heard them.

Because, it’s a pretty true statement.

“And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?” - Thomas Babington Macaulay

Shivers, goosebumps every single time I read it.
Of course I heard about it before Oblivion came out. :smiley:

Sometimes the only choices you have are bad ones. But you still have to choose
-The Doctor

“I am Vengeance… I am the night… I… am… Batman!” Kevin Conroy AKA THE Batman.

“See, there were these two guys in a lunatic asylum… and one night, one night they decide they don’t like living in an asylum any more. They decide they’re going to escape! So, like, they get up onto the roof, and there, just across this narrow gap, they see the rooftops of the town, stretching away in the moon light… stretching away to freedom. Now, the first guy, he jumps right across with no problem. But his friend, his friend didn’t dare make the leap. Y’see… Y’see, he’s afraid of falling. So then, the first guy has an idea… He says ‘Hey! I have my flashlight with me! I’ll shine it across the gap between the buildings. You can walk along the beam and join me!’ B-but the second guy just shakes his head. He suh-says… He says 'Wh-what do you think I am? Crazy? You’d turn it off when I was half way across!” Joker, The Killing Joke

“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir, The Two Towers

“Hell is empty and all the devils are here.” - The Tempest, probably my favourite Shakespearean play.

And also, "When they ask how I died, tell them: still angry." - Altered Carbon.

My favourite quote is from Adolf Hitler. It is my favourite quote because it is very, very true and because it is so true it has several diar implications, world peace can never happen, humans aren’t as great as most people think they are, and in the future we’ll probably all be fucked by our own doing. It shows alongside other quotes from Hitler that he had a great understanding of human psychology, which was why he was so successful. I don’t have the exact quote to hand, but it goes something along the lines of use emotion for the many, and save logic for the few.

Do you mean “I use emotion for the many, and reserve reason for the few”?

Some more good ones-

“The problem with the future is it keeps turning into the present.”

“What’s the point of being cool if you can’t wear a sombrero?”

“Through this homework I am learning skills I intend to use the rest of my life- procrastinating and negotiating.”

“Years from now when I’m successful and happy and that jerk who just beat me up is in prison I hope I’m not too mature to gloat.”

All these are from Calvin & Hobbes.

I posted once already, but I thought of another one.

Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right.

“Equality is a lie. A myth to appease the masses. Simply look around and you will see the lie for what it is! There are those with power, those with the strength and will to lead. And there are those meant to follow—those incapable of anything but servitude and a meager, worthless existence. Equality is a perversion of the natural order.”

“When all the options are wrong. What does it matter which one I choose?”

Both are quoted from Darth Bane. As is obvious from my name, I have an affinity for the Sith in the Star Wars universe.

Oh, I remembered another one that really resonated with me.

“Every person is like a single spark cast from the flint and steel of the universe. In contrast to the world around it, our single life is temporary and meaningless. A fleeting moment of light in a world of darkness. There is no inherent meaning to that spark, because that’s OUR job. Our purpose in that fleeting, meaningless spark is to give it meaning. And perhaps if we succeed, we may be the spark to ignite the flame of change in our world.”

On one hand, it leads with a depressing tone and it seems like it’s going to be a nihilistic point of view that denounces the value of life, but then it spins that point of view into something oddly hopeful. Contrary to the nihilistic point of view that “life is meaningless and there’s nothing you can do to change that”, the speaker instead suggests “life is meaningless and it’s your JOB to make it not so”, almost as if he’s calling you to action. I dunno, it feels awfully inspiring in a more indirect way and I find that cool.

“Because some men aren’t looking for anything logical, like money. They can’t be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just wanna watch the world burn.”

Alfred Pennyworth

While we’re quoting Michael Caine characters

Every magic trick has three parts, or acts. The first part is called the pledge. The magician shows you something ordinary. The second act is called the turn. The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. But you wouldn’t clap yet, because making something disappear isn’t enough. You have to bring it back. Now you’re looking for the secret, but you won’t find it. Because of course, you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

‘Don’t tell me about the Press. I know exactly who reads the papers. The Daily Mirror is read by the people who think they run the country. The Guardian is read by people who think they ought to run the country. The Times is read by the people who actually do run the country. The Daily Mail is read by the wives of the people who run the country. The Financial Times is read by people who own the country. The Morning Star is read by people who think the country ought to be run by another country. The Daily Telegraph is read by the people who think it is.’

By Right Honourable James ‘Jim’ Hacker, MP, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

Sir Terence David John Pratchett.

Doesn’t matter what the press says. Doesn’t matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn’t matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right. This nation was founded on one principle above all else: the requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world - No, you move.

Captain America to Spider-Man.
The Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 1, Issue #537 (2006).
Written by J. Michael Straczynski.