Favorite Quote?

One of mine is from the old, relatively obscure movie Awakenings (1990):

“Read the newspaper. What does it say? All bad. It’s all bad. People have forgotten what life is all about. They’ve forgotten what it is to be alive. They need to be reminded. They need to be reminded of what they have and what they can lose.”

Why? It’s something I feel is really applicable, even today.

“There’s no cure for being a cunt,” -Bronn.

“Hey mister. I am mad scientist! It’s so cool! Sonuvabitch.”

Also,

“El Psy Kongroo.”

“Everything will probably never be ok. But we have to try for it.”- Vladimir Putin

I think this quote really sums up both my life, and humanity’s mindset as a species. No matter what happens to us, whether it be war, famine, disease, or other catastrophe, we continue to persevere and strive for a better future. Despite the fact that something always happens to make life difficult or no matter how much life seems to try to put you down you must strive for something better. For what can be more “human” than staring in the face of adversity and despair and pushing on through it to achieve something better?

“I hate Tottenham because I’m an Arsenal fan. I hate Chelsea because I’m a human being.”
Mahatma Gandhi

Pretty self explanatory, isn’t it ?

“To thine own self be true…”
Shakespeare

“Smile pretty, and watch your back.”
Ani DiFranco

Wow… those are the first two quotes that popped into my head. I was going to leave them without comment, but then I re-read them. They mean almost the exact opposite thing.

I point to both these quotes as words that guide me, and they’re completely contradictory. No wonder I never get anything done.

“Always Remember That You Are Absolutely Unique. Just Like Everyone Else” -Alot of people.

I always chuckle when I read it.

images%20(4)
This quote is about life. Not the pretty fake life you see advertised on tv.
This quote is about real life
And life that animals live everyday.

“Dew it”
—Emperor Sheev Palpatine

“There is no hope on a battlefield. There is nothing but unspeakable despair. Just a crime we call victory, paid for by the pain of the defeated. But humanity has never recognized this truth. And the reason is that, in every era, a dazzling hero has blinded the people with their legends, and kept them from seeing the evil of bloodshed. True human nature has not advanced a step beyond the Stone Age.” - Emiya Kiritsugu, Fate/Zero.

“Strange, isn’t it? Each man’s life touches so many other lives. When he isn’t around he leaves an awful hole, doesn’t he?” - It’s a Wonderful Life

Hard to pick just one, but this felt appropriate for an IF forum.

Here’s some more WH40K quotes

Summary
  • Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
    Imperial Guard Tactical Manual
  • Victory is achieved through mettle.
    Glory is achieved through metal.

I can’t really remember where this one is from, I only remember that it’s from a tank company
  • When the people forget their duty they are no longer human and become something less than beasts. They have no place in the bosom of humanity nor in the heart of the Emperor. Let them die and be forgotten.
    quoting from the Prime Edicts of the Holy Synod of the adeptus ministorum
  • Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.
  • A good soldier obeys without question. A good officer commands without doubt.
    quoting from the Tactica Imperium
  • Give any man the power of a god, and you better hope he’s got the wisdom and morals of a god to match. There’s nothing feeble about my moral line. I value life. That is why I fight to protect it. I mourn every man I lose and every sacrifice I make. One life or a billion, they’re all lives.
    Colonel-comissar Ibram Gaunt on Menazoid Epsilon

Men who are kindhearted are bullied by men, but they shall not be forsaken by heaven

“We’re here for a good time, not a long one.” I like this quote because it’s just supposed to be a lighthearted quip but it does have some meaning behind it. Everyone worries about dying too early and living into their 80s and their health and all of that, but what good does longevity do if you’re not having fun while you’re alive. I’d rather have a short life filled with great experiences and fun times than a long one devoid of all fun or enjoyment. Talk about overanalyzing a quote! :wink:

“Bears are creatures that feel no insecurity in living alone. They’re an animal that lives in isolation. Plus, they can hibernate. What a fabulous thing that is. If I were to be reborn, I definitely want to be a bear.” - hikigaya hachiman

Which remind me of this quote in the final hour :wink:

“Lo there do I see my father; Lo there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothers; Lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning. Lo, they do call me, they bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.”

This is my Favorite quote

“One day the great European War will come out of some damned foolish thing in the Balkans (1888).” ― Otto von Bismarck

I don’t really have meaningful quotes, just ones that I will always remember.

“My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Every variation of “motherfucker” said by Samuel L. Jackson ever.

“No.” - Isildur when being told to toss the ring of power into the fires of Mount Doom.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-C. S. Lewis

Longish, but accurate, I think.

“The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it.”

• Galadriel

“Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, suffering leads to the dark side.”

• Green boi

“Show me again, grandfather. And I will finish…what you started.”

• Edgy boi