Favorite genres

I’m asking what peoples favorite genres are (books,videogames,etc) and why it is their favorite.
Along with their least favorite genre and why.

My favourite 2 genre’s are magic and SciFi because both are unrealistic and kinda take you away from real life things and can make me forget about all my troubles

My least favourite is western just because its boring

I like fantasy,for the new world, new lore,interesting races and where interaction with each other; horror, like tension and suspense with ether monsters and/or with warped humans; and adventure, like the journey. but I will play any genre as long as it is presented well and keeps my interest. as for my least favourite, I would say pure romance with out other genre to keep me interested.

My favorite genres are Fantasy and Sci-Fi, because it allows you to mess with rather fundamental laws of physics and gives way to a large array of interesting creatures.

My least favorite genre (if you can call it that) would be all non-fiction aside from the educational stuff (history books and such). I do not enjoy reading about the either very miserable or very boring lives of others.

It’s not exactly " genre " but thought provoking stories are my favorite.

Other than that i guess it’s the adventure gender.
For wherever it is sci fi, mystery or fantasy a nicely executed “hero’s journey” is always enjoyable

I enjoy fantasy and Sci-Fi, preferably set in fully custom worlds/universes as well. What I can say, I like my escapism.
But as long as it is well-written and manages to draw me in, I’m pretty much able to enjoy any good story.

What’s most important to me is stories that have strong GBLTQ themes, and/or female protagonists.

I love sci-fi, particularly that which asks interesting what if questions of the future and if it can get me thinking. I love time travel, and movies that get you questioning reality.

I also love fantasy. I’m not overly fond of reading books that don’t have an element of the fantastic to them, be that provided by science or provided by fantasy.

I really don’t like the romance genre, even if it’s not straight romance. I’ve read enough in the genre to know that it’s just not to my taste. Unfortunately, a lot of things with gay content tend to focus on the romance, or tragedy. UGH. Tragedy. I hate hate hate things with bad endings in which people die and it seems all too common for queer characters to end up dead.

I particularly dislike romantic comedies, they just have me grimacing and wincing in embarrassment. I generally find the characters unlikable, the humour is derived from things I don’t find at all funny, and everything could be fixed if they just spoke to each other. I also dislike most sitcoms for similar reasons. I find them painful to watch.

I’m not a huge fan of horror either, and I don’t like zombies. My favourite horror movies all have sci-fi elements to them.

But you did like 7Kingdoms: The Princess Problem didn’t you?

The way I see it that’s a romance/dating game set in an incredibly well designed custom world with a veneer of politics on top, but basically a romance/romantic comedy game nonetheless.

Yes I did. I loved it. :slight_smile:

I’d say it’s such a different and unusual game, the way it actually handles romances. I’d say it’s not actually a romance game, but that’s not true, since it is, even if there’s more to it than the romance component. The ability to romance different characters is certainly a huge draw of it, I’m sure but it’s not the only thing. There’s plot independent of the romance.

It has a fantasy setting. I love fantasy, especially courtly intrigue stuff.

It has a female protagonist, there are female love interests, but also the option to just not pursue anyone. You can be asexual, in a romance game, which is kind of unthinkable. My favourite interactions were with those who weren’t actually romances though. You’re not locked out from speaking to the others just because you chose one person’s path, nor are you forced to stop being friends, and I loved that too, that it was unusual, that it could be a game about making friendships, forging alliances, playing politics.

And that you don’t exist in a vacuum, there are other characters who have their own sexualities that are completely independent of yours, and your interest. There’s gay characters, bi. There’s an asexual woman who’s not an old spinster or an oh so good and pure maiden. Everyone’s oh so wonderfully fleshed out.

BUT! I still don’t like the romance genre. :slight_smile: But I do think there should be far more romance orientated games.

Fantasy and stories in the ancient China’s time especially the three kingdoms era (I mean Dynasty Warriors is a terrible franchise and Romance of the Three Kingdoms is an exaggerated bias book but I still love them anyways just because they’re based on that era)

I’m in the minority here but I’m not fond of the sci-fi genre. Like I can still watch thought-provoking films like Ex Machina but I usually avoid sci-fi films in general (so stuff like Star Wars, Stark Trek, Fire Fly).

@Fantasist What is it about sci-fi you don’t like?

I love sci-fi and realistic genres, and well-built worlds. I’m not too big on high fantasy, but I like low fantasy all right.

@Faewkless

Tbh, it really depends on the story, plot, characters, stats, etc. So I usually don’t care about the genre of a book/movie/etc.

As long as the story, plot, characters and etc. get my attention than I play it.

It’s a little embarrassing to admit, but I read a ton of lesbian romance (historical romance is my favorite). I started with it when I was a bit younger and living in a place that wasn’t really tolerant of my orientation. It was pretty much the only option I had to normalize my feelings, and it worked as a cure for the isolation I felt. Even now that I’ve gotten out of there, it’s still a comforting habit. Thank God for Kindles, though! I’m currently reading a book called “Pitfall (A Jurassic Romantic Adventure): Lesbians. Dinosaurs. Time-Travel. Fun.” I can only imagine the amount of side-eye I’d have to deal with if I were carrying the hardcover around. :wink:

@Jenna_V Don’t be embarrassed. :slight_smile: I’ll admit the only name I know in that genre is Sarah Waters and really only for the BBC dramas they did of her books. That dinosaur book sounds fun.

I’ve read a lot of queer fiction in the fantasy and sci-fi genres that helped me through tough times. It’s really good having representation there when you can’t find it elsewhere. Even books that I look back on now and think were kinda bad, back then they were important.

Representation matters.

I was really hoping I wasn’t coming across as shaming the romance genre.

Oh, no, I didn’t read your post as shaming at all! I wasn’t responding because I felt embarrassed by you specifically, it’s just that romance novels tend to be regarded as a guilty pleasure by most people, regardless of gender or orientation, and I’m fully aware of that. (My friends give me grief about reading them too, even as they’re asking to borrow them). Romances do tend to be somewhat formulaic by necessity, and very few deeply explore the nature of self or the deeper philosophical truths of existence. -laugh- Mostly they’re about hope and idealism, occasionally about healing. All good things, but society does tend to publicly roll its eyes at romances.

(Note: Goodness, this got long. In short, I like fantasy, sci-fi, mystery, and horror, with a dash of historical fiction. And translated works. I avoid romance, action/gritty, and true-to-life, school, or coming-of-age. Explanations below, if anyone wants to fritter time away reading through a regular treatise.)

I love fantasy best, because of the huge amount of variety. Every kind of theme, setting, character, author, all out there somewhere. Even more true now, since indie publishing is gradually becoming easier and more common. Quests and mythology are nice additions…I’ve much enjoyed Lloyd Alexander, Diana Wynne Jones, some of Stephen Krensky’s works, all brilliant.

Then, I like sci-fi for its concepts and the way some authors use it to challenge society, or challenge our thinking. Bradbury, Asimov, older authors again. I read mysteries too. I like the sort of artificial black-and-whiteness of the mystery genre. Sometimes a good mystery can be even more ridiculously and emphatically good vs. evil than the most epic of straight-laced sword and sorcery novels.

Historical fiction is fun, too, especially when it’s been changed a bit and the world didn’t quite end up the way we remember it. Joan Aiken is brilliant fun. And adventure. R. L. Stevenson’s Kidnapped

And then horror. John Bellairs, another older author who wrote horror books for young adults with a sort of Catholic/occult twist to many of them, has long been a favourite of mine. He wrote Curse of the Blue Figurine. I really appreciate a good clean horror, one that is frightening without needing to rely on goriness or campy jump stories.

And finally, translated books. One of the things I loved most about living overseas was having access to books written by authors in those countries, in their own languages. Now that I’m back in an English-speaking country, I find myself making do with translations. New sets of social mores are always fascinating.

I generally do not prefer romance books (although I once played a zombie otome by accident and it quite enjoyable…then I went and bought the rest of company’s otome titles. Some were very fun.). I just don’t like reading about people’s opinions of each other and the whole dating process and all the rest of it. I don’t like that kind of thing in real life, either. I’m ashamed to say Jane Austin’s ‘Sense and Sensibility’ is one of the three books I started and never finished, just because I couldn’t stand people talking endlessly about other people any more. Same with true to life or coming of age either, especially if they’re marketed as ‘for women’. Too much people thinking about one thing and talking about other things. Not enough plot events.

I find I also generally won’t prefer books that are marketed specifically for men either, at least in the modern Western companies. ‘Gritty’ books and action stories strike me as rather dull. Things explode, so what? I want a nice, good, complex plot, preferably with a touch of the unlikely.

There seems to be a theme happening with the answers on this site :slight_smile: I’m another one who prefers fantasy and sci fi as a general rule. I like the escapism factor where anything could happen as long as it can be imagined. Romance/Romantic comedy are usually by least favorite. Although it can be done well and there are decent books and movies out there, I find a lot of them are predictable, boring or cliched.

when it comes to games, its pretty much anything I can imagine myself in, when it comes to books and movies, I’ll read/watch anything that isn’t hard to imagine. (also whenever there’s a book where dragons exist and aren’t the bane of all existence, then I’ll probably take a look at it.)

However, (much like the rest of the crowd) I don’t like Romances. (for me it might be related to how much passive communication there is in romance, like for example, body language.)

Lol idk myself, something about it never really clicked with me and it’s not because I don’t like science (I don’t) but idk.