Fallen Hero - Update 18 December 2016

Which Superman movie is that?

Batman Vs Superman… Just kidding, it was

2 Likes

Oh that one :expressionless:

I found a few pronoun inconsistencies in the Ortega scenes (not sure whether these have been reported yet.) My Ortega is female.

Loving the game so far, by the way.

1 Like

@malinryden
Happy that you are working on it again!
I messaged you on tweeter some time ago because I wanted to know if fallen hero was dead, happy I was wrong :grinning:

@malinryden
Ortega will risk taking major damage in the process even if his thoughts are notoriously hard to pick up for a telepath.

Ortega was female in my game.

But the truth is that you have do a deadline. Every villain needs a grand plan, and you are no different in that respect.
do have

You reason that without heavy armor or armament, the sentry will most likely think you are one of the guards that they missed if he spots you. And, since the fight is already started, there should be no reason form him to risk his position by trying to take you out. You hope.
for

“Yasmin” you reply, squeezing his hand as hard as you can in a vain attempt to impress.
Ortega was female in my game

“I never realized how much it would actually smart to punch a superhero.”
?

I’ve just played through this wip story and I felt I had to registrer to tell you how I felt.

Wow, that was incredible. I’m not sure when I last experienced a story, even an interactive one, where I felt such a deep connection to the main character on an emotional level. I’ve lately been thinking a lot, about who I am, what I want and how I’m changing, and I feel that the main character really reflected a lot of my own emotions, feelings and desires. Of course my own choices shaped the character’s personality, but even from the beginning I felt an emotional connection, which only grew as she became more and more an image of myself.

Remarkably, at no point in the story did I feel constrained by a lack of choices, I never felt like none of the options fit what I wanted and I had lost agency. I occasionally found myself picking choices I knew I rationally shouldn’t, because I was imagining myself in her place making those same bad decisions. I also constantly found myself needing to continue, unable to take a break because I needed to see what happened next.

All in all, I loved your story. The writing is wonderful and hit very close to home for me personally. Thank you, and I am eagerly looking forward to seeing the finished version.

8 Likes

@Sashira - Thank you so much! This made it super easy to find them.

@Laurence_David - Thanks for the message, things like that made me come back to finish this sooner rather than later. Also, thanks for the proofreading! I… am so bad at spelling you wouldn’t believe.

@KuraiHeka - I am blushing right now :blush: Seriously. I am so glad that the story is working for you. And I am also glad that I made the choice that there are no wrong answers here. No right way for a player to go to max out their stats. Things might go good or bad, but that’s just the story, and and the way your character is acting. I want the player to lose themselves and stop thinking of stats and start thinking of the person. Once again, thank you.

ALL: Friendly reminder that there will not be an update this weekend since I am working on the big one. Also, I am just writing the code right now and I keep giggling with my placeholder descriptions. This is gonna be wild and waaaaay more complicated than I planned it. But mostly fun.

20 Likes

@malinryden
Ok, I have way too much spare time for my own good so I decided to do a reread to find the more spelling or story mistake I can, Ortega shall be female because a lot of errors I have seen was the game assuming she is male. I also remarked that if you choose to be comfortably rich, you still live in a two room flat, is it a bug or it is supposed to be that way?

But how? The plasma cannon is far too accurate for its bulk. Ortega will risk taking major damage in the process even if his thoughts are notoriously hard to pick up for a telepath.
her

But the truth is that you have do a deadline.
do have

You are grateful that they seemed to have gone for that line of reasoning instead of plain possession. Hopefully that will lead them barking down the wrong track.
They didn’t talk about mindwipe before so that comment made no sense.

“Yasmin” you reply, squeezing his hand as hard as you can in a vain attempt to impress.
her

“I can see that.” There’s a moment’s pause when Ortega is searching your face for clues, and you let your smile widen a little, a near imperceptible nod leading him down the right path. “So… how would you feel about adding some coffee after working out sometime?”
her

“I thought I had already done that,” you tease, feeling your smile grow since you think that she is finally moving in the direction you want.
Dr.Mortum was male

I would be delighted to." You echo his smile before leeaning across the desk to shake his hand.
leaning

Thank you so much!

Yeah, I haven’t gone back through and grammar checked much, many things will get a rewrite once it enters the proper playtesting stage. There are some bits I am not happy with, and I am always grateful when players find them too, because that means I was not imagining things.

The pronouns tends to be most easily noticed when playing women of all sorts, since the default pronouns are male based. Not because of any bias, mind you, just because male pronouns has more variations. (he, his, him) while female ones go (she, her, her).

4 Likes

I’m not curious enough to do several playthroughs for it, but what are the suits like if you don’t
pick mysterious?

I found mysterious creepy as hell, so I'm sticking with that awesome choice.
1 Like

Well, that I can supply. Might be fun for everyone to have a look.

*if suit_imposing
The van distorts your image a bit as it reflects it back at you, but it can’t hide the fact that you’ve turned into a new ${sex}. You have to admit that Dr. Mortum has done a good job, you now look tall and imposing, a proper conqueror ready to take on the world. The helmet has a certain martial feel too it, and you suddenly find yourself wishing for a sword.

But a sword is a stupid idea, any weapon that can be taken away is. That is why you decided to house the nanovores directly in the glove, sacrificing reach for security.

Still, there is something rather classically threatening about a touch of death.
*if suit_cape
The billowing cape adds to the regal feeling, billowing behind you when you move, just like Mortum promised.

*if suit_terrifying
The van distorts your image a bit as it reflects it back at you, adding to the slightly monstrous look of the armor. You have to admit that Dr. Mortum has done a good job, the helmet that looks back could have been worn by some strange alien predator, the faceted eyes and fanged mouth triggering all the primal urges. You’re not quite a demon, and not quite a monster, but some technological mixture of traits that blends so very well into a terrifying whole.

Of course you should know everything about being terrified, you’ve faced down your share of nightmares in the past. And now you’re one of them.
*if suit_cape
The billowing cape adds just the right amount of drama to the look, enabling you to hide your terrifying mask under the dark hood.

*if suit_mysterious
The van distorts your image a bit as it reflects it back at you, adding to the disjointed look of the armor. You have to admit that Dr. Mortum has done a good job, the helmet is a blank, mirrored surface that reflects more than reveals, and the angles of the armor planes makes it hard to focus on the body beneath.

You’re there, for sure, but you’re a broken, angular shard of a being, and it feels right in a way that few things does. This is your true face now.
*if suit_cape
The billowing cape adds just the right amount of mystery to the look, enabling you to hide beneath its shadowy folds.

*if suit_functional
The van distorts your image a bit as it reflects it back at you, but you can see enough to make you admit that Dr. Mortum has done a good job. It’s a no-frills suit, sleek and functional without being either showy or drab. You’re glad you don’t have to feel like a fool when you are making your debut in your new identity, there’s enough drama out there already for you to add to it. Maybe it’s a touch too military, but it’s hard not to give that impression when you put on armor.

You can’t go out there and fight in normal clothes after all, and the days of being Sidestep are over. You just have to get used to this.
*if suit_cape
The cape looks almost more like a coat, softening the look of the armor, giving you a practical way to distract when you move.

9 Likes

@theredwoman - There is a poly option I can see happen, but it will not be included in book one. You will learn more about the Heartbreak thingy though… and I can say one thing, there are no coincidences in this came :no_mouth:

1 Like

I feel silly asking this, especially since I’ve played this about a dozen times but I don’t recall a heartbreak incident being mentioned. Is there a specific path I need to take to learn about it or am I just that badly in need of glasses that I overlooked it?:sweat_smile:

You need glasses. Definitely.

The ‘heartbreak incident’ was the last mission the MC was involved with as Sidestep. It’s mentioned a few times, from the top of my head in the elevator on the way to see lady Argent, during the training thing in case you picked the jogging option and in the MC’s first ever conversation with Ortega in the cafe (It’s not called by that name though).

2 Likes

:disappointed_relieved: Oh boy I really am blind. Gonna have to replay to hopefully restore some of my honor. Thank you for telling me where I missed it. Here have a cookie :cookie: never mind that it has a bite taken out of it. I was making sure it wasn’t poisoned or worse raisins!

4 Likes

No… update?

Just kidding, take your time

O.k. I’ve played the 4-16 update: The concern with the Premier event is not as urgent as it was prior; the re-write and changes still make the “unknown enemy” a little frustrating but I no longer feel like I’m flying blind choosing a path of approach there.

I still feel the relationship with Ortega only has one logical direction but maybe that is a failing of mine and not the presentation of the relationship. This time I tried a same-sex Ortega and the interplay seemed to be just as real - great job there, still a few pronoun slips but I’m sure an editor will catch those with no issues.

I’m really enjoying this WiP - thanks for making such an enriching storyverse.

The reason I chose a “almost -perfect clone” of my MC was so that I can enhance the qualities of my MC that will hide me. My clone is the old Sidestep perfecting and evolving into the “perfect” MC…

My MC is accenting the tired, worn and broken aspects of her past, making it a real “black-and-white” contrast between her normal every day persona and her “perfect clone” persona.

Edit - @malinryden I am looking forward to your next release; your updates will arrive when they do… no pressures.

2 Likes

@malinryden
You almost feel bad for the poor sap as you feign weakness and confusion, stumbling to your knees in the rubble. He ison the ground and at your side a moment later.
is on

“Playing the hero?” you tease, “More wounded to save?” You gesture a little bit with your wrapped hand, as if the movement earlier had just been because it smarted, and not because you wanted to touch her.

She laughs, and nods. "That’sone way of putting it I suppose.
some

Small bit of news!!

The big update (not sure when it will be done, since I am entering the choice of box contest) will include the rewamped chapters at the start. You will now get to know a bit more about Sidestep and their past… including whatever the Hearbreak incident is.

25 Likes