Fallen Hero - Update 18 December 2016

No actual update.

It’s been a little bit since this post has last been visited or bumped, and it took me a couple minutes to remember it wasn’t the eighth still.

And if I recall correctly, miss @malinryden is working on our coming out party, first and foremost.

@Jinx_the_Atomic_Cat - Thank you! You are entirely correct, and that is a now. Like I said, no beta until endgame, and my swedishness sometimes lose grasp on the whole was/were/plural-s dealie, because sometimes it just sounds better the wrong way to my ears. Have to actually think about it.

@Edgewen I am indeed working on that and speaking of that…

QUESTION TIME FOR EVERYONE!

Smaller updates faster, or bigger updates with longer stretches of time between?

To give an example. The next stretch of the game will be something like this:

1. puppet party planning (lots of ortega interaction, possibly some mortum depending on chouces)
  2. suit putting on (you got that one already as a sneak preview because I wanted an update)¨
  3. party with your puppet
  4. big event and the new you shows up
  5. fight fight fight

If I do an update with everything I can maybe finish it until when my friend gets here at the start of may, and I will start working on the ‘choice of box’ thingy for may, where depending on the subject I might actually do a past thing for this game. Maybe from Ortega’s viewpoint. It depends on what the mystery subject will be.

That being said, it IS a big maybe, since I also have a lot of union duties at the end of march, and we’re going on an overnight trip since my newest niece is getting baptized. On the other hand, I did over 10 000 words of story and coding last friday, so if I can hit the sweet spot once or twice again it is doable.

BUT if you guys want to, these separate bits are all easy to relase as smaller mini chapter updates as well. Just not sure how you want things.

Let me know!

11 Likes

Probably sounds like a broken record at this point, but will we get a chance to decide which of our selves will interact with Ortega more? It’s already established that she visits the exercising-place of our puppet, but our actual selves do have to deal with her persistence in trying to reconnect.

Yes! Both of your ‘selves’ will have separate friendship/romance stats for Ortega, and it is up to you to decide whether to go deeper with both, none, or one. This is one part of the game I am the most fond of, and this whole identity issue thingy is one of the cores of the game. It will influence things quite a lot later on. Exactly how much I don’t know, I know what I want to, but time will tell if I can pull it off in coding.

7 Likes

I’m for an update with everything (love big updates). And you mean the CS-comp, right? If so, good luck :wink: I’ll be judging you! (quite literally :stuck_out_tongue:)

5 Likes

I also prefer the bigger updates you have been doing. Small updates can be fun but can make a game feel shallow to me if they occur too often.

Though I do hate waiting, I will always personally prefer the big updates that take longer, I just makes me so much happier to see a big surprise of how much content the author has added in updates!!!
P.S. Keep up the great work, this is my favorite WIP!

3 Likes

I would like that very much, because it would mean that we get more progress done. That is just my thoughts on it though. :slight_smile: Also, about the puppet, can we please have more scenes with it in general?

that awkward moment when you find out your lover is cheating on you…with you

15 Likes

that episode of Jerry Springer is one that I would make a point of watching.

I would say that it depends on whatever would be least hectic for you. I will, however, admit that smaller updates that consist mostly of polish/bug squashing (with little to no advancement of the story) tend to…bug me. Heh.

…not that I think that’s what will happen with the smaller but faster updates. I don’t know. I think I’ll throw my lot in with the ‘bigger is better’ camp.

1 Like

The ultimate fight against the Rangers isn’t going to be the finale, is it? Because there’s still so much you can do after that.

What if after the reveal, you slowly reverted back to anonymity by mind screwing every passerby you come within range of until, like, 1% of the population remembers. You would think any online evidence would be a hoax if you were there and didn’t see it, right?

4 Likes

I’d prefer having to wait awhile for large updates than getting a lot of small ones.

2 Likes

I prefer large updates to smaller ones.

1 Like

Calm down :slight_smile:

The fight with the Rangers is… maybe halfway through volume one? There are three volumes in my story. The first is planned in detail. The second is planned in roughs. The third… well,we’ll see.

12 Likes

Hey go big or go home! Thats my answer to the update question thingy. But yeah waiting for it will be a painful but fullfilling ride.

2 Likes

I decided to add one of the smaller updates (Puppet/Ortega interactions, possibly Dr. Mortum depending on earlier choices). The reason is that it actually slots into the story before the chapter I uploaded last time. So now everything is set for the party!

The next update will be a big one since it will encompass a whole lot.

19 Likes

Every time you update this game I get twisty with excitement. We should play Twister so I can take advantage of this and kick your butt!

The new scene though :cry: :persevere: :kissing_heart:

Couple editing things:
In your second meeting with Ortega, there’s this exchange:

“What did you expect?” You finally ask, glancing at the man beside you. “That this was going to be easy?”

“I suppose I did.” Ortega sighs and pushes his hands down into his pockets. “I thought that things went well back with Angie, it almost felt like…”

“Like it was the good old times again?” You give him a long look, shaking your head at what you see. He’s less snazzily dressed today, but there’s still that swagger to his walk that would give him away even if you couldn’t see his face.

I think it might sound more organic to say "Like it was the good old days again? It’s not a big deal but it made me pause.

Another one is here:

“If either of us were anything close to fcking adults," you start, raising your voice, "we wouldn’t be here arguing. We would have shared some stupid pleasantries and then been on our way. Not made a fcking scene.”

Should be “not make a fcking scene." I also think it might sound a little better to say "If either of us were anything close to being fcking adults.” That’s optional though, since other people probably prefer it as is.

“We’re going rescuing kittens?”

Should be “We’re going to rescue kittens?” Everything is is perfect like normal!

1 Like

You would win at twister, I have the grace of an arthritic giraffe.

And thank you so much for the grammar/textflow suggestions. I have changed them because they did sound better, so they will be included in the next update. All this is pretty much a rough, I haven’t worked on the text at all, which makes comments like yours so very helpful!

1 Like

Lucky for you, when my player went through the character creation sequence, they put my balance at zero, choosing instead to invest all the points into affection for cats! So we will be on even footing in our imaginary Twister game :blush:

1 Like