Fallen Hero: Rebirth is released - discussion thread!

nonbinary-inclusive
gender-choice
multi-part
science-fiction

I know plenty of others have probably already voiced this, but I just wanted to say how blown away I was by this game. It somehow flew under my radar until it was actually released, and I only decided to check it out a few days ago after hearing good things from some people I know. That said, I’m very glad I finally decided to look into it because it’s easily one of the best titles COG has ever released. I felt connected to and invested in the MC in a way practically no other cyoa has managed, and really liked how it dealt with the ideas of identity and loss. The characters, particularly the rangers, were great and the final showdown at the museum was extremely gratifying.

Sorry for the slight ramble, but I just want to say thanks to the author for making such a great title.

if you really want to feel awful, try romancing Ortega with the puppet and MC at the same time c:

I like Dr Mortum alot, and I romanced them once to read the story (with my male MC’s [Gabe] puppet, [Jack] also male), but I don’t think I’ll keep that playthrough. I actually think I just might keep them friends, have Ortega as everyones bff, and romance no one and see who comes along in book 2, probably Herald if he swings that way. I could see alotta interesting, “But is it just hero worship or does he like me for me?” …Especially after how badly I beat his butt. But it was an accident! I didn’t know it would work so well!

Meanwhile I am just wondering which choice will be more messed up dating Ortega with both or Ortega with MC and Mortum with puppet. I mean they will definitely find out eventually (or there will at least be an option I think.

That’s what I did and oof it was painful…

Great game! honest to God! was blown away! that i decided to make fanart XDDD is there a place where i can post? but also im really excited for Book 2 and 3! cant wait to see how this plays out!!

ALL HAIL RYDEN, GOOD GOD OF THE SELF-LOATHERS.

why

why not :sunglasses:

Played as female made a male puppet. Its hilarious my female is cold and calculating but is compassionate while i make my male puppet more flirty and open and tends to manipulate people thru flirting

Wow…heroes rise, heroes fall, but this Fallen hero comes on top. And I totally mean it. The game just blew me away. And to think I bought it, because I liked the premise (I hadn’t tried the demo) and I liked the reviews, but then let it rest in my phone for a few weeks before actually playing it! I mean all those wasted weeks.

It’s amazing! I’ve played it so many times I lost count now and I feel like each playthrough I discover something new, some new information about the story or the characters, new flashback (I don’t know why, but I most love the one that shows what happened right after the suicide jump while the MC is being loaded into an ambulance - it’s very short, gives me the feels of indescribable exhaustion, helplessness and a bit of fear and I love it!)…and I still haven’t tried everything yet.

And don’t let me start about the characters. The MC - all those reactions we can choose are absolutely amazing. Sometimes when I play a game like this, I got the feeling like I’d add a few other choices, like none of those really fit my character. It has never happened here. Okay…once, becuase I’m a softie and I so wanted to say “I’m sorry” to Ortega during the fight. But then there was the “I can’t” choice, which fit perfectly, so I was happy with it :slight_smile: (Also we got the apologetic kiss/peck, which made up for it with interests). I really like the fact we don’t know everything about the character and their motivations. We get hints into their life (and I’m totally into the Re-Gene theory!), we get feelings, mostly worries and fears, but also a bit of dreams, and somehow that’s enough to show their drive. Maybe someone might have a problem with that, but I do not - it makes it all even more real. That’s life - we don’t know everything, even about ourselves (as much as we might like to deny it.)

And other characters…I love them all. Yes, even Steel and Lady Argent. I can’t help it. I can see the reasons Steel has for being who he is to the MC. And I like that Lady Argent isn’t the typical hero you’d expect in Rangers - I mean, she’s got claws, she can use them and she doesn’t give a damn. :upside_down_face: Poor Herald though. He’s such an adorable kid and she’s giving him such a hard time :smiley: And Dr. Mortum - he’s really not what I was expecting from a mad scientist and it’s amazing. Even more so when I chose to romance him with the Puppet and got to know him better. He can be such a charming guy, really. And don’t let me start about Ortega…we’d be here for a whole day. He’s amazing and a real friend (and can be more :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). And I was so happy the MC could influence him to reconsider his choice of facial hair, by the way…

Ehm, negatives…can’t think of any, to tell the truth.

Okay, to so to sum it up - it’s amazing piece of work and even more so when I learned the author is not a native English speaker! Kudos for that! I’m nowhere near as good as I’d like, but I’ve written a few things in English (also not a native speaker here) and so I know it’s not an easy feat no matter what grasp of the language I think I’ve got.

So thank you, @malinryden, for writing such a gem of a story!

edit: Yeah, typos :blush:

I have question, How do you study the rangers and their tactics?

When your MC is talking about who they hate the most pick one of the rangers and you will have studied their tactics.

How do you get the newspaper give you the moniker of “Enigma”?

This are how from code reading:
Have your suit mysterious, don’t destroy museum or “erase” sidestep, don’t let them know you telepath, and have arrogance more than 60.

That seems a bit odd, wouldnt it make more sense if you have higher anonymity and thus there is less information about you and thus you are more enigmatic?

One question: how are you able to name yourselves sidestep? I’ve tried but it keeps saying you aren’t ready to out yourself?

:woman_shrugging: here the code if you curious:
Edit:
Though, it does require for the MC to have mysterious suit.

Summary
*if suit_mysterious
    *if arrogance > 60
      *set villain_name "The Enigma"
      *goto press
    *else
      *set villain_name "Enigma"
      *goto press

Your arrogance have to be more than 65.

Thank you :D! Will try that next playthru!

What does the “illusionist” part mean?

From quick read, it seems some kind of set-ed name during Argent fight in sewer, if you using your telepathic during the battle. Not really sure though.