Fallen Hero: Rebirth is released - discussion thread! (Book One)

Just wanted to say I liked this one a lot. Looking forward to the sequel.

I’m not sure I got a different epilogue, but Ortega did talk to Steel briefly about what the MC-as-a-villain said to him (and since i picked justice, that was about the country/government being thoroughly corrupt and the Rangers serving the city over the people), and he seemed like he was contemplating what had been said to him. Well, before Steel pointed out the villain was probably just trying to get into Ortega’s head, but even then - honestly, it made me wonder if Ortega had considered this stuff on his own before, or at very least if that little monologue made Ortega realise some stuff (it probably helped that my MC let Ortega respond to her monologue instead of making him shut up). I haven’t actually done a non-monologue to Ortega playthrough yet, mainly because I love it, but I don’t think it’s a completely different one?

6 Likes

I felt the need to answer your comment ( can’t answer everyone) so here we go!

The problems: I do agree with you on all of them, but they are also like that for a reason.

• The wait: Yep, it is a slow burn, but part of the slow burn is because I did not originally plan to end the book where I did. It was supposed to go on for quite a bit longer. However, when turning it interactive, it grew in both scopes and scenes, so had I kept up my original plan it would have been larger than Tin Star. So I made the decision to split it, since this is my first interactive novel, and I had no idea if people would even like it. I wanted something out there to test the waters. On the other hand, now you don’t have to suffer the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers which was the break I had originally planned.

• The past: I see your point, but it is as intended. Untangling what the truth even is is at the heart of these books. This is also a holdover from the fact that this was originally a novel with a set protagonist.

• The ending: I’ll fess up, in a perfect world I would have spent an extra month on the ending. But at that point I was just so mentally exhausted I couldn’t come up with anything. If it’s any consolation, you’ll get a lot of these bits at the start of book two.

• Errors: Sadly the first version out was not the last version in the copyediting process, so hopefully those should be fixed now that the correct version (I hope) is uploaded. Also, English is not my native language, so there’s bound to be a few weird things in there.

As for your good points: THANK YOU!

• Story: Nope, I have no idea who Jordan Peterson is, but I’ll check him out now. And nope, no psychology, but a voracious reader of a lot of weird stuff. But, a lot of these feelings are ones that I have had myself, it started out as me dealing with some pretty complicated things in my life and using words to play around with them. So yeah, there’s way too much of myself in this game.
38 Likes

Not sure if this counts as a spoiler but how does one become able to use Sidestep as their villain name? I was able to do so consistently in the demo but it’s been a while.

1 Like

sYou have to type it yourself and have arrogance higher than 65 i think…as for using Anathema name you must have a daring more than 50… hope it help :blush:

5 Likes

@Morphine i think you probably didn’t injure Ortega very much. in my playthrough, he/they reluctantly stayed in bed. one of the armor upgrades i took was the exoskeleton one.

@theredwoman ah alright. my MC didn’t monologue and Ortega still doubted in the epilogue. idk if my choices set a flag but my MC hesitated once during the fight and told Ortega to give up already.

here’s the scene i was talking about in the epilogue.

Summary

“You like the action,” Steel snaps back. “Admit it.”

“Of course I do.” Ortega looks down, the frown growing deeper. “It’s just…”

“What?”

“Do you ever wonder if we’re doing the right thing?” Ortega’s voice has gone softer now, and he looks intently at Steel.

“No.”

“You could have hesitated, you know?”

“If we don’t stop people like Puppetmaster, who will?” Steel shrugs and turns back to the laptop.

“I know.” He sighs in frustration. “It’s just that sometimes I wonder if maybe—”

“Stop it.” Steel doesn’t bother to turn around. “I don’t know what bothers you so much about this last fight, but you need to stop. We need to focus.”

8 Likes

In which scene was it mentioned that the puppet was waking up?

not waking up puppet just mumbling something if i remember correctly to get it you must not hurt ortega and he will stay with puppet till you wake and they will say you puppet mumbling about something in their sleep and the MC will talk to himself saying that’s impossible oh… And you also have to go to the galaxy with Ortega but i’m not really sure…but that the closes scene i remember to the possibility that the puppet is waking up

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying​:+1: so how does everyone feel if your mc and puppet are romancing Ortega? I honestly feel weird if Ortega has feelings for the puppet even though she has feelings for my mc as well :disappointed_relieved::cry:

9 Likes

Oooh ok, yeah that’s what I got. There might’ve been some extra dialogue (honestly, I started it at 4am and finished at quarter to 7, so my memory’s a lil dodgy wrt my first run), though I’m wondering if you had high suspicion as well? Not that you can exactly check that in your stats, but if you used Sidestep’s old moves or presumably the telepathic illusions or (not certain but I’m fairly sure) emotionally monologue to Ortega, I’m pretty sure you raise your suspicion. I’m just dying to find out how early Ortega can realise what the MC’s been doing.

6 Likes

You and me both. It even feels weird that I feel bad for my MC (even though I made the choice for the puppet to be flirty), so I just had to cut the flirting between the puppet and Ortega. I refuse to make it even more complicated as it is. Heh

4 Likes

" But I was cleverer than her not clever enough to know that More Clever is the term and not cleverer . But definitely more clever than she was"

1 Like

Yeah I even felt weirded out when the Dr was being flirty with the puppet. Cause technically it’s still the mc even though it’s the puppet.

I think that the underneath parts are more literal, as in they’d need to cut open the body to see it. I don’t think the mc has any conspicuous tattoos. The difficulty the mc has looking into the mirror now, they didn’t necessarily used to have that back as Sidestep, when we could apparently proudly show off our then washboard abs. That trauma I think was entirely due to the heartbreak incident being caused by another version model of the mc with an identical face.
If I am correct then the mc’s model line were designed to be infiltrators, they were apparently even made handsome/attractive in order to do that and the best infiltration units would have no physical marks whatsoever. If there are (major) differences between the mc and other, normal, humans they are not likely to be conventional Re-Gene tattoos, but more like DNA and brain differences, maybe slightly different other organs too. Things you would really need to cut the mc and others like them open for in order to see.

7 Likes

Yeah, but the issue is doing it in the same playthrough. If I choose exoskeleton I keep breaking her legs while we fight, and she can’t get up to check on the puppet.

Has anyone found out the reason the doc had scars? It hints at something in the bedroom scene, maybe a similar reason to the puppet?

Well then, those Heartbreak flashbacks only raised more questions.

I stayed up last night playing the release several times, and look forward to the next installation. I’m personally still deciding on what sort of motivations my PC has.

4 Likes

What did everyone choose for their suit and what name did you end up with? I went for mysterious style with a cape, used smoke grenades, and I let the press name me. I was dubbed the Enigma. Since my telepathy style revolved around using cunning and subtle tricks I decided to use telepathic boosters and armor. I figured the boosters would improve my power or efficiency allowing me to focus and use my subtle telepathic tricks in battle while the armor would protect me while I do so and prevent any flash KOs. Everything went according to plan and I was able to defeat the Rangers without taking any damage to my person or the suit. I’m wondering what other people chose and how that worked out for them

7 Likes

I went with a conqueror style suit with armor and telepathy boosters along with a nifty cape( I wanted to go with an Ahzek Ahriman type villain), I chose to blow up the van(for dramatical effects), and minimized civilian casualties, I chose Anathema since my MC still had a grudge for steel and charge, I gave both Ortega and Herald serious injuries, but for Lady Argent I chose to ambush her at the sewers and when I knocked her out I threw her down the shoot (I hoped it will kill her, but at least the insult serves her right for calling my MC a nobody)I did all of that without even scratching my armor

4 Likes

Does anyone know how to get the option “just shows what I’ve lost” (or something to that effect) when MC is with the Rangers for the first time

1 Like