Fallen Hero: Rebirth is released - discussion thread! (Book One)

The character dynamics in this is so insanely complex. The MC is conflicted enough in their own right, and on top of that there’s the two sets of relationships for everyone, the projected relationship between the MC and the puppet, various degrees of disguising their own personality and mental state while putting out a consistent cover personality, and the slight insane-ness of the newly minted villain persona. And it seems our puppet is waking up.

I feel like I’m twisting into knots right now keeping up with all the lies and truths , real and faked emotions.

Wow. Just… wow.

14 Likes

This is one of the most beautifully written games I’ve played. Just wonderful. The amount of detail and the intensity of the emotions described. I can’t, this is amazing.

3 Likes

Hey, I was trying the game out in the website and found a strange error. If you press F5 the author name gets buggy:

Bug

I haven’t gotten far on it yet, but I noticed some pages are rather long; this makes things a bit difficult to follow, especially for some sections in italics. I’d suggest adding a few page breaks to some parts, here are some examples:

Long page 1

Long page 2

Long page 3 - This one has 774 words in the same page

Interesting game so far, I’ll have to find some more time to play it as the demo itself is already quite long, which is very appreciated.

2 Likes

It’s an ungodly hour and I just finished the game. I have a lot of feels. And idk if it’s just me being a shipper at heart or yeah but gosh I am dead with feels

1 Like

only played one playthrough atm but y’all can bet i’ll be milking the game for a long while lol

i’m just going to echo the praises that have been said already: the MC is such a complex character on their own yet that didn’t deter the game from letting the MC be the player’s character. oh and the relationships! everything and everyone felt so organic. i still don’t know mortum’s deal but they really seem to resonate with the puppet being an assistant. i’m not sure if it’s just because it was how i played it but they seem to be very keen on helping the puppet start a new life away from the MC too. ortega, meanwhile, is just as wonderful as i expected :heart: i have no words. i just love them so much. now that i think of it, most of my fave scenes involve ortega (or the MC’s issues or both)

i really loved this scene because of how surprisingly poignant it was… especially because my MC had the argument at the park.

click

“Do you really think you can afford to look out for others?” You break into a run, watching as Ortega pushes the reporters back. Then he tries to turn in time to face you.

Not fast enough.

Your kick hits his back, and even though he folds into a forward roll to diffuse some of the impact, you can see the pain on his face when he regains his feet once more.

“It’s not about what I can afford.” Ortega is visibly hurting, moving slower than he did before. “But you wouldn’t get that.”

“That’s true,” you admit, cracking your knuckles.

i also love the additional scenes and the changes to the stats screen. as previously mentioned, the game is really polished. the only gripe i have about this is that i’m very disappointed that it ended :sob:

???i’m obviously not from mississippi and america in general

@SteelMemes to get a sample from argent, make sure to get the exoskeleton upgrade and defeat her in the sewer fight. to be in a love triangle with yourself, have the MC be in an almost-relationship with Ortega or have a secret crush on them. then use your puppet to flirt with them. in the gala, ask ortega leading questions about the MC. make sure not to get too hurt in the big fight so you can still visit ortega later.

@RenaB glad i’m not alone in that theory!! i had an inkling that MC has sth to do with the Re-Genes. btw remember the scene where the MC calls the Special Directive to handle Psychopathor? the MC notes that they still remember the number after all those years. not to mention, you also have the option to be agitated by the familiar voice who answered. the MC even seems to know the other person’s ticks given how they describe the phone call and what they say when you choose the option to be really affected by the voice. and as you said, the MC somehow feels for the Re-Genes and is very familiar with their possible powers, their tactics, meanings of their tattoos, etc.

and about the puppet… do you think it could be possible that the Farm was counting on the MC stealing the puppet’s body? it seems that it really was the Farm who stole the MC after the Heartbreak Incident thus everyone believing they were dead. after their disappearance, the MC’s powers grew much stronger. i think it’s possible that the Farm is responsible for the new powers and was hoping for the MC to test this.
they didn’t really escape – the Farm made them think they did and left a convenient puppet for them to use.

there was also the resemblance between the Heartbreak villain and the MC & puppet. could it be that Heartbreak is orchestrated by the Farm to test whatever it is they wanna test (and maybe test and capture the MC in the process too)? :thinking:

reading the thread and TIL that Hollow Ground changes depending on the MC. i only played once so far and HG was a middle aged asian woman to me.
could she and MC be made in the same place? O.O

12 Likes

Is there any way to bring ortega back home with you after the museum incident.

nope. bringing them to your home is very risky anyway. they’ll always be at the hospital but it depends on their injuries whether they’ll be stuck in bed or not.

2 Likes

“chapter09 line 7049: Non-existent variable ‘win’”

Sadly, I got stuck. :weary:

2 Likes

Gah! There was an update last night, specifically because that variable was missing. Which version are you playing and what update number? I’m not sure what could be wrong, maybe caught in the middle?

Edit: maybe contact support at chpoce of games?

1 Like

I got that myself it was a real let down

1 Like

I’m playing online, directly from the site, but I fell asleep halfway through the game, so there’s a good chance it’s the version from before the update.
I have no idea how to check the update number. :thinking:

And I sent the error mail when prompted, so support should have the data. :blush:

EDIT: Refreshing seems to have fixed it. I must have been playing too many WIPs, since I didn’t even think to try that. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Neither will mine. I even uninstalled and redownloaded. Gonna try again in the morning.

Wow, just wow. The added content/fleshed out content was amazing. I found myself really torn on a lot of choices. Sorry for incoming rambling…The beat down of the Rangers was sooo satisfying…I was really satisfied when I didn’t take any damage though I was sad Argent got my cape lol. I was also feeling bad for Ortega until I saw she went from flirting with me to flirting with Jane in 10 minutes!!! How dare she try to play both of my bodies without them knowing about each other?! I was satisfied I could RP a careful, anonymous, villain who calculates everything and doesn’t kill anyone. It made his irrationality with Ortega even more compelling.

I think the things this game does so great are two fold: 1) a heavy feeling of fear/trauma permeates the story which makes it a lot more satisfying when you lash out; and tied in with that fear and trauma is 2) the confusion of the MC…juggling roles and bodies…hating his main body, feeling at home in the puppet, and thinking of his villain suit as his true persona/body…it is so twisted.

The atmosphere and characterization is amazing. I’m scared though for my ruthless killer playthrough…I have no idea how dark the rabbit hole goes…

17 Likes

I haven’t slept all night, but it was worth it. I am exhausted, have a pounding headache, and my day is not going to be a good one, but was worth it. I truly enjoyed this game, revelled in it. It do like to play the villain, and this game captures that experience in a fashion I found to be much more satisfying than in other titles; whether published here or even on game consoles.

But I am getting ahead of myself. I always start with the negatives first, and as much as I enjoyed this novel it is not perfect. It has problems. It has it’s flaws. And here is what I came across in my playthough:

~ The Wait - Even though you expect to play a game in which you are the villain, you do not really take that moniker until much later in the game. Which was rather frustrating. I understand that this is the very beginning, and you do not have the convenience of being rich at start (I’m looking at you, Diabolial :wink: ), but it would have been nice to play as your own villainous persona for a bit longer.

~ The Darkness in Your Past - From what I read, it seems that you experienced something traumatic, though I am left rather confused over what that was exactly. I read the scenes, but I am left unsure as to what happened to the protagonist. Since I did not really know what happened, it was hard for me to feel immersed in those moments; as if it is my trauma rather than the protagonists. Certainly I was left very conscious that I was reading someone else’s life story rather than weaving my own. In those moments, at the very least.

~ The Lack of Impact in the Ending - Personally, when you review the impact that your villainy has caused, I found it lacking. I was expecting vicious news articles, TV show personalities making cutting jokes at the Rangers expence, politicians coming in and promising that this new villain will be hunted down, a air of fear and terror hanging over the city from your victory, and perhaps the creation of a fan site dedicated to us. Now that last one would have been pretty sweet. :wink:

~ A Few Errors of Code and Word Placement - They were not common, and were rather minor. But there were moments when I found words out of place in sentences or some coding that I think may have gone a bit wrong. Only a minor annoyance, though.

Those were my main concerns. Now on to the better half! The gushing! :wink:

~ Story Felt More Realistic For A Villain - I cannot say that I was entirely immersed, but the story did grip me. I do wonder if the author had listened to Jordan Peterson, or whether they studied psychology at all. What was discerned in terms of the protagonists character, the anger and hated and blind detachment to the world around them, and that last part must sound odd considering that we play as a telepath.

I watched and listened to a video of Jordan Peterson speaking of the school shooters, and the darkness flickering within the protagonist feels akin to what Peterson spoke of. It’s chilling, in some ways, but it makes for a great story. Chilling also in terms of how dark of a Villain I became, which was fantastic as well. Torturing Herald like that. It was refreshing for that not to be editted out. The whole experience just felt so much more real. In a lot of other titles, your ‘villainy’ feels very shallow and unbelievable. A monster does not start off as a monster, after all. It takes work, hard work, to grow that dark and snuff out the light.

~ Playing This Villain Felt Incredible - It is only at the end that you truly become the Villain, but it felt incredible when it finally came. You really did feel like a God in that armour, in comparison to the heroes. A true villain; incredibly powerful and overwhelming. You really were able to cause so much chaos, so much mayhem, and so much fear. And suffering. Being able to torture Herald, seeing the casualties in the hospital. They were nice touches, allowing you to deepen yourself into your own darkness.

~ The Powers and Armour were Great Features - I was honstly sceptical about the usefulness of the telepathic powers, but being able to possess people, influence them, gave you a feeling of power. It was fleeting, but it was the promise of what was to come later. The armour I loved the most, though. Whatever the protagonist paid the doctor, it wasn’t enough. A brilliant piece of technology that worked better than I could have hoped. The armour made you physically powerful, and the telepathy made you magically (that is the only way I can describe it) powerful as well. To use that combination to wipe the floor with those heroes was definitely satisfying.

~ The Romance Dynamic was… Interesting - In all honesty, I didn’t have much interest in the doctor. But Ortega was another matter entirely. That was definitely interesting, interacting with him both in my puppet and own forms, it made for an entertaining dynamic to the story that I thought was handled well. In the end, I decided to have my puppet romance the former Marshal. It didn’t really work, but I am hopeful for the future. I didn’t want to romance it personally, at least not in the end. It was a hard choice. I actually did like him. But I enjoy being a villain too much. Like the scene in the park. It is hard to hate him, admittedly. I did waver a few times, so tempted to give in to the light, to open up to him. But I didn’t. I ran away. If there were ever a chance I would have been interested in him, it died at that moment, hence why I mopped the floor with him.

You know, I almost wondered if the puppet might be a romance option in the future. It did think of it when I created him, but then there was that sigh of activity in the hospital; the puppet dreaming. Perhaps that is what the author is working towards. I silently hope that it is.

In conclusion, this was a very enjoyable game for me, being a very good start to a series. And there have been a few titles that have been the start of a series lately; Choice of Rebels, Wayhaven Chronicles, and now Fallen Hero. This one, though, certainly scratched the need for a decent game that I liked in which we play as a villain. And a real villain at that; not some caricature. I raise a glass to the author, @malinryden. You did a great job in this game, and I eagerly await the next installment. :grin:

Just please, please do not make the next installment with some tacky game show scenario. That really took the immersion out of Heroes Rise for me. >_<

20 Likes

So just wondering will we be able to get a private army since you’re a villain.

2 Likes

One thing for the theorizers: the MC mentioned many times that if people saw his body or knew what’s underneath they wouldn’t accept him. I think in the hospital scene specifically it made me think he has the Re-Gene tattoos on his body instead of his face…a model that fits into urban life since like the MC said… the Re-Genes weren’t suitable for defending the museum since they’re too shock and awe/warzone/inhuman

4 Likes

Although I haven’t gone far yet but I hope those who enjoyed the game leave their reviews in the platform they have played it on especially in Google Playstore. This helps negate the 1-star reviews just because it isn’t free. =)

3 Likes

Oh god, I finished my first playthrough at like 6am GMT yesterday and it’s taken me this long just to process all my thoughts on it. But to start with - I was kinda expecting what I’d played in the demo to be the majority of the game, so I wasn’t super surprised by that. That being said, I love the rewritten and new scenes, they added so many things (both big and little), and the characters were all fantastically written. They all feel so human, it’s absolutely wonderful.

Other people have mentioned how the MC actually feels like a character in their own right, which I 100% agree with, and I loved how different choices (such as their motives) alter their personality just a little but also considerably, if that sentence makes sense whatsoever. And like @zenbu, the only part of this game that disappointed me was that it ended.

Can’t wait for the next one though :grin:

And theory time! Though looks like @RenaB beat me to my favourite - I’ve thought for ages (although I can’t remember if I mentioned it in the old thread?) that the MC is a Re-Gene, and I feel pretty confident in that now. The flashback you can see in one of your nightmares if you open your mind to whoever caused the Heartbreak Incident shows a Re-Gene being killed and revived to create their characteristic skin tone, so it looks pretty canon that the MC can be a Re-Gene without having purple skin. On top of that, we still have that line about the MC thinking Ortega would be disgusted with “what” he was touching [the MC], which stinks of the dehumanisation we see in-game towards the Re-Genes.

On top of that, it looks pretty canon now that the Farm orchestrated the Heartbreak Incident? Since you only see that flashback if you open your mind to whoever was killing everyone (and to think it used to be a crack theory of mine that the MC was related to whoever pulled off the Incident…), and between the fact they were seemingly a Re-Gene and that the Farm knew exactly where to be to kidnap the MC after they were injured - well, we don’t know if the MC thinks the Farm orchestrated it, but it seems damningly likely.

And on the topic of Ortega, oh my. My favourite motive has always been justice, so seeing Ortega’s epilogue with Steel (which was so cute!!! kinda tempted to break out some art stuff to draw that scene, the thought of him just laying down on the workshop floor while Steel is tinkering with his armour showed how comfortable those two are together, especially since we usually see Steel being way more closed off since he distrusts the MC) where Ortega was thinking about their monologue to him… Previously I wasn’t convinced that Ortega would necessarily side with the MC if he found out they were the new villain, but now I’m kinda hopeful. He’s already considering their argument about the entire country being corrupted, and if one of the other Rangers points out he’s the only one the villain monologued to (and so emotionally, too), on top of my MC using a lot of her old moves in the fight… well, I’m hoping he works it out by the end of Book 2, since my MC is desperately conflicted over how to handle him in this situation, though I personally think that conversation might end up being surprisingly similar to the argument in the Park.

And just in general, those epilogues. I absolutely adored them. Though I was a little sad that the MC didn’t have one with Ortega despite romancing him, I kinda figured that would happen. Also the fact Argent is going through all of the footage of the MC fighting the Rangers… who wants to take bets that Argent will probably be amongst the first to realise that MC=New Villain (possibly from seeing footage of Sidestep in a fight and going wait one goddamn second)? Or at the very least, I’m willing to bet that something she says is what leads to other characters (almost certainly Ortega, possibly Steel too) to realising that themselves. Either way, I am super hyped for the next game already! And also debating whether or not to write a fanfic about a theoretical “Ortega realises the MC is a villain and decides to talk/confront them before doing anything else” situation.

18 Likes

MTE!! that epilogue gives me hope as well. though i don’t really think that my MC would be very enthused about Ortega siding with her. her main reason for keeping him in the dark all these years is because she doesn’t want to risk her only friend’s – and secret crush’s – life.

speaking of epilogues, i didn’t know you’d get a different epilogue if you had a monologue. does it change depending on what kind of monologue as well? i’m gonna give this a try later.

2 Likes

In my first run the puppet went alone to the museum, and woke up in a hospital bed. My mc visited Ortega at the hospital and then Ortega visited my puppet at the hospital. Did Ortega get better so quick as to get off the bed and visit the puppet?