Fallen Hero: Rebirth is released - discussion thread! (Book One)

That would be an amazing possibility, and possibly making things even more complicated for us. To keep everything from falling apart.
To create the idea that every playthrough is different from the other.

Also, I do not think it would be necessary for the villain to have such options since they have no need of such emotions during their fights and villainy acts. In fact, such emotions would only make the missions more difficult to keep organized. Besides, there are already possibilities to bring more drama into the battle by hesitating whilst fighting the Rangers (especially regarding Ortega).

And if it is brought up like the savvy/streetwise choice in-game then it will not break the immersion of the player regarding the story.

@Eric_knight, That is such an interesting idea!
I will be responding to you today, was a bit chaotic yesterday c:

2 Likes

@Eric_knight has a good idea. I’m imaging it won’t take long for Ortega to figure us out if we have the same personality and looks as our puppet.

2 Likes

Sounds great :slight_smile: sounds like it might be better as a stat though? Easier to change and aggression, depression and coping can be a spectrum if you get me. Like some mcs might be just a bit depressed, where as my mc would be severely depressed :stuck_out_tongue: .

2 Likes

I can’t wait to approach Lady Argent with Puppet’s body too… i want to see what is Argent’s reaction when she meet the puppet ( a stranger ) who seems to know her like the MC…
Since i always confuse which body i am in… i might be in Puppet’s body but thought i am still in my own body ( I am too excited to see Argent again) …so i will say to her " Hi Lady Argent… How is you mind problem ? Is it getting better after our last conversation ?? Errr… why are you looking at me like that ? You remember me right ? :thinking: Oh, Oh, wait wait, who am i now ?? "

3 Likes

But do you not think that would take away the immersion from the story?
Because it would become something akin to a light switch, turning it off and on. Which would make it feel a bit forced to me, I suppose…? But maybe that is just my musing.
I can see your reasoning as well and you are right, it would be nice to have the possibility to regulate the amount of depression. But mayhap a ‘light switch solution’ is not… the solution? Perhaps it would be a possibility to make small adjustments/choices regarding the emotions throughout the story? No idea how one would have to code that though, just speculating for a bit.

@Eric_knight,

I can’t wait to approach Lady Argent with Puppet’s body too… i want to see what is Argent’s reaction when she meet the puppet ( a stranger )

Well, Lady A is not very keen on other human/living beings in general, always actively keeping everyone at arm’s length. Therefore I could see her hackles go up like crazy when the puppet would comment on her ‘mind problem’ and if it is getting any better. It would be an hilarious situation.

1 Like

@L_M & @CreepyPastaKittyFay : The reason why I set it as a toggle, is because that makes it easy to code for me in text. I do agree that this is a spectrum, and it won’t feature in all dialog, just now and then. A ‘coping’ MC will still be able to have an argument with Ortega for example, it will just not be as loud as an Aggressive one.

I know that it is not a perfect solution, but considering all other variables I have, I feel that if I make them as toggles, I will be able to use them a lot more.

There will also be interesting synergies between flags and stats, for example, let’s say you have the tag ‘treatment’ which means you did take Ortega up on the offer to go see a psychologist. That will mean that a treatment+depression MC might be written differently. Same with the various Heartbreak scars. The immersion comes in the stat synergies I think, not from variations within a single stat.

17 Likes

…that does sound pretty interesting :slight_smile: although my mc will always be depressed, imagine a therapist session with an aggressive mc :stuck_out_tongue: . But anyhoo fallen hero 1 was amazing, so I don’t doubt your decisions :slight_smile: .

4 Likes

Well, the mere fact that this could become a possibility will be amazing, and I would be thrilled to see the differences unfold.

Oh dear, imagine if the setting for the puppet were for the Rangers instead:
One could make Lady A even keener on arguing and an aggressive MC opposite her.
Herald who (suddenly) tries to be all professional and failing miserably.

OR Steel, who tries to be more caring, and not exactly succeeding, but the MC seeing that he tries. It would make my telepath’s heart beat faster for sure.
Kind of like the Beast (from Belle and the Beast) when he tries to feed the birds during Winter and at first the birds are scared, but when Belle shows him how to do it the birds are suddenly all over him?

5 Likes

Changed ‘caring’ to jovial’ for the puppet after a suggestion. I think it works a lot better.

8 Likes

I just wish she doesn’t tear off my limbs immediately :scream: I did make Argent “like” my MC when i was in her mind, although i am not sure whether i should do that… it was the only way to make Argent “like” us (to improve the relationship stat)… that’s why i mention Argent is a more intriguing romance interest than Ortega , next we need to argue whether manipulating Argent to love us is even consider love at all ? :thinking: and…oh, please take your time to respond our previous discussion , there is no rush at all :smile:

Hmmm… what if i just want to pretend i comply to Ortega’s suggestion , i go to see a psychologist but i know perfectly i am fine and know what i am doing … i just want Ortega to think i am having depression problem :grin:

Hey …this suddenly comes up to me, let say if and only if Ortega catch us and want to deliver us to justice, what if my MC cries in front of her and beg her to release me ? Do you think there should be a stat check to determine whether she likes us enough to let us go : :slight_smile:

What if the person who catch us is Lady Argent? Do you think crying will do any good to soften her ? :hugs:
Oh…don’t worry about Steel, surely i won’t cry to him :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I’m still for the cold hearted: “Either release me or have at least the courage to end it once and for all”

…I think my MC only would cry if Ortega just couldn’t do that, for one because yeah, desperation and they don’t want back to the farm and two, because Ortega why can’t you just give up on the MC you idiot? You caring just makes everything worse.

lol, Argent when having to decide to either kill or arrest MC, yeaaaah not that difficult decision, I never thought Lady A is somebody who likes to make prisoners…or she feels quite sadistic and arrests them especially because MC would prefer death…Okay she is a scary person, could maybe somebody else catch MC?

I think depending on how you treated him Herald probably is the easiest to confuse no matter if it’s crying or asking for death over arrest…what means he could easely just also get punchend in the face so that MC can escape… (I’m sorry my trust in his abilities is not that big) or MC could kidnap him…

Yeah Steel is weird. I mean he probably would feel pretty validated in his impression of MC, but depending on how far of a friendship he and MC build, he may be more keen to listen to them. He seemed pretty intersted to know more about MC’s reason for the secrecy… So idk tears may could help? I doubt Steel got as much oppertunity to see MC vulnerable as Ortega did… so eh yeah I think it would go against his expectations a bit…

6 Likes

Are these going to be a front, or our real personalities? Will the people around us see through us easier if we have the same personality?

What would ‘coping’ be like?

The way you want to implement these variables sounds good to me. I liked the idea of that in DA2, though I disliked that we had to play in a certain way to get the response we wanted. You’ve talked about this topic enough that I would be surprised if I ended up not liking it, even if I wouldn’t miss anything if you decided against them. I already see the MC as “my” character and am fine with the differences in the storyline we have so far.

… Though for a moment I had to think of Highlands, Deep Waters and its sanity stat. Imagine if we had to handle something like this for MC. Come to think of it, maybe it’s less “sanity” but “paranoia”.

2 Likes

That’s my intention.

We’ve haven’t actually manipulated Lady Argent into having romantic feeling or even love for us. All we’ve done is make her see us in friendly way, and as someone with psychic abilities who isn’t a threat. Romancing her is something we’re probably gonna have to do the old fashioned way.

4 Likes

Hmm what about something like Conflicted for the MC (I think my MC is mostly like that lol).
He’s usually okay and coping but can get depressed sometimes, but the main thing is that he is very conflicted between the 3 identities (the puppet, the MC and the villain)

3 Likes

Puppet The Charming, MC the Depressed, Villain the Ruthless

7 Likes

A disasters person - the game

14 Likes

By toggle do you mean you can switch between these at will depending on the mood and situation of your MC like the swear, or do you only choose one and stick with it until offered a new choice, similar to Children of the Gods?

Either way it sounds like a good idea, especially with how divergent motivations and actions are. I lean towards super tragic angsty reluctant characters while I’ve seen plenty of others have MC’s take the villain thing and run with it the whole nine yards. I doubt they would react the same to any given situation and this seems like a good way allow that

2 Likes

I see my MC as a depressed individual…for he knows he is going down the wrong path…yet he can’t even stop himself…I see the puppet as what the MC was like pre-heartbreak incident…and the villain…the path the MC is going down…a path he is so desperately fighting against…

1 Like