Fallen Hero: Rebirth is released - discussion thread!

nonbinary-inclusive
gender-choice
science-fiction

And I always intentionaly do it

I didn’t even think of mama Ortega, I keep forgetting about her. Whoops. She would probably be super disappointed in our current career path, depending on the MC’s relationship with her.

I wonder if that is going to be a bigger issue than the fact that we hurt her baby, though. She’s a character I’m actually super looking forward to meeting (assuming we get to see her ingame) but for all we know she might be absolutely furious with the MC. We can do some pretty major damage; even on my pacifist playthroughs Ortega is hospitalized. Can’t see that going over well if she ever finds out.

If you got captured by Lady Argent, your limbs is going to be tore one by one :wink:

Hmm, I think I’d feel a bit torn about that… :scream:

Aww… @malinryden is the mc really forced to be a coffee drinker in that scene?

Most likely not. In the original posting, she explained this is just raw writing it out and other characterization options haven’t been added in.

Explanation part of the post

Yep, we’ve reached the big round number (well big for me, I’m no celebrity) so it’s time to post another snippet of book two. This time I decided to post a bit of a Steel/MC scene I am working on. It doesn’t have any plot spoilers, it’s basically relationship building, so it should be safe for everyone. Coding-wise, it’s in the middle stage. I’ve added the major choices, but haven’t added personalization, thus it assumes a lot of things that might not be true about your MC (that you’re a known telepath, that you went into Argent’s mind and so on.)

That’s usually how my process works:

1: Write what amounts to a short story, detailing a single path. The fun bit, this part is easy.

2: Add the major paths and fake choices. The hard work.

3: Add the personalization from various tags depending on who people are and what they have done. Keep checking those tags….

4: Once enough of these have been written to form a coherent story section, play through it again and again, adding things and checking for flow.

5: Once everything flows, add flavor text, check for grammar and describe surroundings and fill things out. Also known as the other fun bit.

You need to have above 60 points in either the daring or cautious stat.

QUESTION!

Okay, was sitting at work last night playing with something I am pondering adding to book two and I wanted to hear you guys input.

Since time has passed, and everybody’s MC’s are developing on slightly different paths, I was pondering adding something like a personality toggle. Basically it would be an on/off thing used to give slightly different flavor text in certain scenarios, and sometimes open up new things (maybe). Like the tech savvy/streetwise thing. Right now, the ones I have come up with are:

MC: Aggressive, Depressed and Coping.

Puppet: Argumentative, Professional and Jovial.

EDIT: Changed ‘caring’ to ‘jovial’ for the puppet after a suggestion. Works a lot better.

I don’t want more than three per person, and I don’t want a separate one for the Villain, because coupled with the suit-style that becomes madness. Please let me know what you think, or if you have other suggestions for the trinity!

Sounds good, though I wonder where on the spectrum between depressed and coping my MC lies.

If i play both MC and Puppet with same personality , will i get similar attributes for both ? :slight_smile:

i want to do that in order to test Ortega, to see whether she will suspect MC and Puppet are the same person :wink:

You know me too well :smiling_imp:

Sounds like a good idea but the thing with those descriptors is that they are more likely to change than things like techs savvy/Streetwise, so you might want to consider a way to change it.

Oh yeah, of course you can change! That’s the whole point of this book. They will be able to change at certain important points in the story, just like motivation and sexuality.

That would be an amazing possibility, and possibly making things even more complicated for us. To keep everything from falling apart.
To create the idea that every playthrough is different from the other.

Also, I do not think it would be necessary for the villain to have such options since they have no need of such emotions during their fights and villainy acts. In fact, such emotions would only make the missions more difficult to keep organized. Besides, there are already possibilities to bring more drama into the battle by hesitating whilst fighting the Rangers (especially regarding Ortega).

And if it is brought up like the savvy/streetwise choice in-game then it will not break the immersion of the player regarding the story.

@Eric_knight, That is such an interesting idea!
I will be responding to you today, was a bit chaotic yesterday c:

@Eric_knight has a good idea. I’m imaging it won’t take long for Ortega to figure us out if we have the same personality and looks as our puppet.

Sounds great :slight_smile: sounds like it might be better as a stat though? Easier to change and aggression, depression and coping can be a spectrum if you get me. Like some mcs might be just a bit depressed, where as my mc would be severely depressed :stuck_out_tongue: .

I can’t wait to approach Lady Argent with Puppet’s body too… i want to see what is Argent’s reaction when she meet the puppet ( a stranger ) who seems to know her like the MC…
Since i always confuse which body i am in… i might be in Puppet’s body but thought i am still in my own body ( I am too excited to see Argent again) …so i will say to her " Hi Lady Argent… How is you mind problem ? Is it getting better after our last conversation ?? Errr… why are you looking at me like that ? You remember me right ? :thinking: Oh, Oh, wait wait, who am i now ?? "

But do you not think that would take away the immersion from the story?
Because it would become something akin to a light switch, turning it off and on. Which would make it feel a bit forced to me, I suppose…? But maybe that is just my musing.
I can see your reasoning as well and you are right, it would be nice to have the possibility to regulate the amount of depression. But mayhap a ‘light switch solution’ is not… the solution? Perhaps it would be a possibility to make small adjustments/choices regarding the emotions throughout the story? No idea how one would have to code that though, just speculating for a bit.

@Eric_knight,

I can’t wait to approach Lady Argent with Puppet’s body too… i want to see what is Argent’s reaction when she meet the puppet ( a stranger )

Well, Lady A is not very keen on other human/living beings in general, always actively keeping everyone at arm’s length. Therefore I could see her hackles go up like crazy when the puppet would comment on her ‘mind problem’ and if it is getting any better. It would be an hilarious situation.

@L_M & @CreepyPastaKittyFay : The reason why I set it as a toggle, is because that makes it easy to code for me in text. I do agree that this is a spectrum, and it won’t feature in all dialog, just now and then. A ‘coping’ MC will still be able to have an argument with Ortega for example, it will just not be as loud as an Aggressive one.

I know that it is not a perfect solution, but considering all other variables I have, I feel that if I make them as toggles, I will be able to use them a lot more.

There will also be interesting synergies between flags and stats, for example, let’s say you have the tag ‘treatment’ which means you did take Ortega up on the offer to go see a psychologist. That will mean that a treatment+depression MC might be written differently. Same with the various Heartbreak scars. The immersion comes in the stat synergies I think, not from variations within a single stat.

…that does sound pretty interesting :slight_smile: although my mc will always be depressed, imagine a therapist session with an aggressive mc :stuck_out_tongue: . But anyhoo fallen hero 1 was amazing, so I don’t doubt your decisions :slight_smile: .