Exiled from Court (WIP) (NOW ON TWINE)

I am enjoying it so far! The prologue seems very interesting, and I really love your writing style! I am looking forward to reading what will happen next <3

Found an unfinished sentence here!

Also, my MC in the game is NB. Somehow they introduce themself with their dead name when they seduce the driver, even though previously I picked the option that they would introduce themself with a new name.In the stat it’s their new name though! Just thought I would mention it in case it’s a bug.

Either way, great prologue! Looking forward to the update. Stay safe and have a good day! xx

5 Likes

Thank you for catching those! I missed some spot checks while adding the nb option, I’ll fix that.

Chapter One has more dialogue choices! The MC has a strong personality, but there are still different stats to be developed throughout the game.

2 Likes

What little is here is great would love to see more.

1 Like

Playing as an NB mc. Will there be an option to have short hair or chest bind? Because I think it’d be cool to have my mc look more masculine, even if they’re born female. Love what you written so far!

Hm…I hadn’t thought of that, but that could certainly be added. I think it’d be interesting to explore how a non-binary MC, who’s out of the “mold” in so many ways, is less restricted by gender than female or male MCs, who are still very much stuck in that 19th century view of gender roles and appearance.

So, while a m!MC doesn’t have the option of dressing more feminine, for example, because he won’t even consider it an option, a nb!MC doesn’t suffer from the same self- imposed prejudice. I think I’ll add that option (and the option for the nb!MC to dress more feminine) in the next update.

And thank you!

10 Likes

Guess who just updated!!

This update includes:

• Some fun and totally not aggressive sibling interactions;
  • The first choice out of a total of four as to why you were exiled from Court;
  • More personality stats;
  • The Hedonist being a spoiled brat;
  • And more, probably!

I want to update the game as often as I can, especially during quarantine, so EfC will be updated in bits and pieces. It keeps me motivated, and feeds you content in a (hopefully!) weekly basis, so I feel it’s a win/win, though updates will always be understandably short.

Please tell me what you thought! :slight_smile: Next update will include the second exile choice and also relationship stats.

48 Likes

I’m gonna admit, I wasn’t sure how much I’d be siding with the Hedonist MC are certain matters. I was already half-expecting to take the sister’s side during their talk. But as bratty as they are capable of being (and there are certainly some fun bratty responses to be had), there also felt like some grounds for their frustration with their family and I’ve found myself kinda agreeing with them a bit on some stuff (just SOME stuff; I won’t deny the fact that the stuff that are capable of getting them disowned were pretty bad and sound like they have enough grounds for the disowning to take place. And their view is a pretty biased to their case; still can’t wait to see how it looks when the Hedonist grow more as a person).

Not saying having an affair with the sister’s future fiance is any form of OK and they clearly were a trouble-maker for a great deal of their life (which likely didn’t help matters with a conservative high rank father). BUT, at the same time (in the fiancé affair case), it felt like they really were thrown under the bus in a way, partly because they were the easiest target to blame and pin most of the issues on. Never mind the fact that it does take two to tango and Harry certainly played his own part in the dance, yet seemed to get off the lightest of the two and the father still allowed the union to take place rather than find another suitor for his daughter (which makes me kinda think that claim the Hedonist made about the family being desperate for a match was not so far off).

In a weird way, the disowning of the Hedonist reminds me right now a little of DAO’s Noble Dwarf background. Granted, I never played my Dwarf as a bratty noble (he was more of a playful yet wise and kind man) and the matter was a little more severe, but despite numerous factors playing a part in the disaster that happened (and my Dwarf Noble having pretty clean hands), his father exiled him into a uncertain fate in the Deep Roads. Only through a letter later on in the story did the Dwarf Noble get their father’s full view and hear that the man did acknowledge how he mostly did cast them out to save appearances with the other Noble houses and avoid scandal for the noble family sake (and regretted doing it). That’s what I’m guessing was the case with the Hedonist’s dad too: the disownment (while justified to a good extent) was mainly a way to save the House’s face overall (again though, talking in the affairs case).

I do like Harry as a character already (he really did come off as charming and nice, but clearly not without his own flaws), and it will be interesting to see what kinds of interactions will be possible with him. That said, do have my eyes on Camilia as a first RO run; really love her personality and how she handles interactions with the Hedonist. Also unlike Harry she seems like someone who knows what she wants and is willing to do a full dance once her partner offers the same in turn. (if possible) I would play it that my Hedonist did harbor a care and potential feelings for Harry, but while that care possibly remains, Harry’s hesitance to dedicate to the tango and avoidance did not help keep the potential budding feelings nurtured.

23 Likes

I will send you my thoughts again later this week when I dive back into the update! :smiley: Can’t wait!

1 Like

Ouch, poor mc, for being as cute and charming as he is he certainly always was the unfavourite wasn’t he?
Exiled for a gay kiss…and we didn’t even actually get to bed the cutie. I mean it’s not poor mc’s fault that he seems to be naturally good at seducing men while sister dearest is basically an old spinster. :unamused:

The setting is certainly interesting too, far too many settings are inspired by Western Europe or the British Empire already.

11 Likes

Wow, what a well thought out analysis! So much to bite into, thank you for sharing it. The most fun part about writing in first person is that The Hedonist is very much biased - for example, you can agree the family was desperate to marry Evie off, or you can completely disregard that claim coming from someone with such…intense feelings against her.

Huh, that’s interesting. DAO is my favorite game ever, but I always play as a Dalish Elf. I’m gonna have to look up the Noble Dward background!

I’ll be waiting anxiously!!

Well, when you have someone who’s as much of a troublemaker as The Hedonist…

Thank you, and I agree! It’s time more different, diverse settings start appearing in interactive fiction. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

To be fair on the path that you have currently the “trouble making” of my mc has been limited to basically seducing guys and being a sexy, utterly charming and somewhat self-absorbed (former) nobleman. So while the other paths, particularly framing your best friend for your crimes or utterly ruining somebody over a petty vendetta sound more malicious…well I love that you leave it up to player choice and right now on the gay path it sounds like at least some of the mc’s bad rep is undeserved and more due to the biased nature of others, including their sister and father.
So basically right now it seems that my poor, cute mc is mainly in trouble for being gay and being naturally charming, good looking and sexy, which makes him good at seducing cute guys while his sister…isn’t.

Besides from what I’ve seen in the interaction with her thus far sister dearest is hardly any better and no more willing to change for him than he is for her…I loved the dialogue option where the mc promises to tone back his whole current "“woe is me” act in return for her dressing better, or at least her age but she is no more willing than the mc to compromise it seems.

Yeah, mc is more than a little bit self-absorbed, but that’s not exactly an uncommon condition among nobles, particularly courtiers.

And it seems we’ll get to explore more of it once we (are forced to) venture from its more modern cities, eh? :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

This is super interesting and I’m loving what I see so far! I have never seen a story before that has the MC playing with a more ‘set personality’ like the Hedonist.
I’ll be keeping an eye on this one :sparkling_heart:!

2 Likes

Exciting premise! I got easily absorbed with the mc’s hedonistic inner monologue.

3 Likes

Loved this. I love that we really are a through and throughout dramatic, hedonistic noble, and even after being exiled, it shows. I can wait for the next update!

Also, as a brazilian, I got said i absolutely loved those paragraphs from the start.

4 Likes

Privilege never really goes away, does it? lmao Plenty of wealthy people who lose their wealth for whatever reason get so used to it that they never really lose their entitlement.

Always nice to see a fellow brazilian out there! So thank you. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I rather hope the Hedonist has a chance to regain their wealth as I’m pretty sure my poor mc would make an absolutely miserable commoner. :pleading_face:

11 Likes

You’re going to love where the story’s heading towards, then. :wink:

8 Likes

Yes, it’s really funny to see how even after losing “all” of their riches, wealthy people still think they’re better than the working class. Even more funnier when you realize it hasn’t changed much from the 19 to the 21 century… But I love it in this book, and I can’t wait to be a burguesa safada.

11 Likes

I love the premise and setting and the writing is excellent, though I’m not sure I like having my personality be somewhat pre-selected as a carefree and even self absorbed noble. Than again, if the quality of the writing remains at this level, I won’t mind all that much.

I’ll look for any grammar mistakes or errors later.

2 Likes

lmaooooooo

Thank you! I knew from the get-go a “fixed” protagonist wouldn’t be for everyone, especially when you’re playing someone as self-absorbed (like you said) as The Hedonist. Hopefully everything else will be enough to draw people like you in. :slight_smile:

14 Likes