Error

I am having a bit of problem. Feel like I am losing my mind. I’ve checked this code over and over again and it’s just, telling me the same thing. :no_mouth:. [Chap1 line 335: Expected option starting with #]

This is the code.

*fake_choice
#Nyssa
*set Nyssa “Nyssa”
*set ny_him “him”
*set ny_he “he”
*set ny_his “his”
*set ny_man “man”
*set ny_brother “brother”
*set ny_husband “husband”
*set ny_son “son”
*set ny_boy “boy”
*set ny_himself “himself”
*set ny_boyfriend “boyfriend”
*set ny_marquess “marquess”
#Nyala
*set Nyssa “nyala”
*set ny_him “her”
*set ny_he “she”
*set ny_his “hers”
*set ny_man “woman”
*set ny_brother “sister”
*set ny_husband “wife”
*set ny_son “daughter”
*set ny_boy “girl”
*set ny_himself “herself”
*set ny_boyfriend “girlfriend”
*set ny_marquess “marchioness”

$!{nyssa}. To save ${try_himself}, ${try_he} used ${try_his} ability “Nova”. This power allows one to have complete control over another being. The OH fainted in shock while coughing up blood.

Close to the brink of collapsing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. :pensive:

Are your intendentions correct?

1 Like

Yes. It’s correct. I even checked it a while ago after seeing your reply.

Is your game uploaded on dashingdon or somewhere else so we can take a better look?

It is uploaded on dashingdon but small piece of code is actually for the future update. So this part hasn’t been added to the public demo as yet.

What is on row 335?

*page_break

Because the OH was sick, she was sent to Grelior, a village in the swamp to the south, to recuperate. Months, and years passed and everyone forgot about the OH until the empress sent down a decree. Summoning the OH back to the Capital.

At the banquet during a friendly competition of sword fighting. The ${try_crown_prince} was nearly beaten to a bloody pulp by

I suppose the next question is what does the set of variables that includes crown_prince look like?

*page_break

The body your soul currently resides in is the unfavoured eldest ${son} of the prime minister’s household. This is a palace-intrigued novel.

On the eve of the Original Owner’s 60th birthday, the gates of Ostror opened, for the first time in five thousand years. The streets of Nasmar were flooded with blood. At that time the OH was on her way up the mountain to The Maslicys, with Lady Anaya.

At the foot of the temple gates, they saw a little

*fake_choice
#…boy
*set try_boy “boy”
*set try_gen “male”
*set Trysten “Trysten”
*set try_him “him”
*set try_he “he”
*set try_his “his”
*set try_man “man”
*set scumbag “scumbag”
*set try_himself “himself”
*set try_crown_prince “crown prince”
*set try_boyfriend “boyfriend”
*set try_brother “brother”
*set try_husband “husband”
*set try_son “son”
#…girl
*set try_boy “boy”
*set try_gen “female”
*set Trysten “Trista”
*set try_him “her”
*set try_he “she”
*set try_his “hers”
*set try_man “woman”
*set scumbag “bitch”
*set try_himself “herself”
*set try_crown_prince “crown princess”
*set try_boyfriend “girlfriend”
*set try_brother “sister”
*set try_husband “wife”
*set try_son “daughter”

… ${try_boy} being attacked by a group of Grusik. Lady Anaya intervened which cost her, her life. She forcefully closed the gates of Ostror, which resulted in her self-destruction.

It’s difficult to find the issue since when pasting code on the forum the indentation is lost. You can create a private project on dashingdon with the code you’re having trouble with and share the link here. After we find the issue you can delete it.

Okay. Give me a few minutes.

1 Like

Just a fyi:

You can copy paste the code using: Preformatted text option, pasting the code within the marks. This option is the 6th from the left on the text editor. This will preserve the code as it is copied.

1 Like

I know, but this seems like the kind of bug that’s caused by an indentation 1 km away from the actual error message, so it’s better to see the whole codebase to be sure.

Intendentions at the start of this line. Should be none. Choicescript thinks it is one of the name choices, thus should have a #.

$!{nyssa}. To save ${try_himself}, ${try_he} used ${try_his} ability "Nova". This power allows one to have complete control over another being. The OH fainted in shock while coughing up blood.

2 Likes

Here is what is causing the error:

*fake_choice 
 #Nyssa 
  *set nyssa "nyssa"
  *set ny_him "him"
  *set ny_he "he"
  *set ny_his "his"
  *set ny_man "man"
  *set ny_brother "brother"
  *set ny_husband "husband"
  *set ny_son "son"
  *set ny_boy "boy"
  *set ny_himself "himself"
  *set ny_boyfriend "boyfriend"
  *set ny_marquess "marquess"
 #Nyala 
  *set nyssa "nyala"
  *set ny_him "her"
  *set ny_he "she"
  *set ny_his "hers"
  *set ny_man "woman"
  *set ny_brother "sister"
  *set ny_husband "wife"
  *set ny_son "daughter"
  *set ny_boy "girl"
  *set ny_himself "herself"
  *set ny_boyfriend "girlfriend"
  *set ny_marquess "marchioness"

$!{nyssa}. To save ${try_himself}, ${try_he} used ${try_his} ability "Nova". This power allows one to have complete control over another being. The OH fainted in shock while coughing up blood.

At the
$!{nyssa}. To … line, you have one space in front of the sentence, which is the same indentation as your options in the choices, so it confuses the compiler into thinking that you wanted to have a choice there.

You need to delete the extra space (since I assume you don’t want it there). Also, you can indent choices with tabs (4 spaces, so you can see these kinds of errors easier in the future). You don’t need to indent by only 1 space as long as you indent with the same number of spaces where needed.

2 Likes

Yeah, I use two spaces for the same reason. A lot easier to see then (and I indent so much that a spacebar gets too much).

2 Likes

:eyes: I feel a bit silly, when I think about the fact that it was just right there staring at me the whole time. :flushed:. Um thank you both so much! Hope you all have a splendid day… and stay safe.

2 Likes

I only found it because I have done the same thing about a million times myself. Eventually, you get used to the error messages and realize what they mean. Have fun and good luck with your writing!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.