Error: couldn't load scene

I’m having trouble with getting my project to do a play through. I transferred the project over to my new PC from my laptop. The game does the run through on my laptop just fine but for some wild reason, it doesn’t do it on my PC. Everything is the same (as far as I can tell, I’ve looked at it a million times by now) so I don’t understand why it’s not working.

The error I’m getting is: couldn’t load scene ‘introduction’ the file doesn’t exist.

Seeing as this is the very first page the player see’s I can only assume that the entire scene list will not load either.

Here is what the code looks like (a small snippet as the project is rather large)

*scene_list
 introduction
 prologue
 setup
 chapter1
 ch1scene2
 choicelist1
 body
 flooring
 bedroomdoor
 window
 wardrobe
 beneathbed
 nightstand

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are so close to finishing this project and getting it tested! Thank you so much!

Two questions:

Did the indent for the list of scenes beneath the command actually indent? It could be because it’s not indented correctly it’s not registering your scene list?

To cover all bases, you have a scene_file called introduction correct?

1 Like

Hi!

That might be it, that it’s missing the indentation or that it didn’t transfer correctly to include the indentation. I will give that a try.

And yup, I do have a file called introduction (I’m using CSIDE, if that helps.)

1 Like

Update:

I went through and did the tabs and I still have the problem.

*scene_list
    introduction
    prologue
    setup
    chapter1
    ch1scene2
    choicelist1
    body
    flooring
    bedroomdoor
    window
    wardrobe
    beneathbed
    nightstand

There was a new update to CSIDE… but I don’t think that would be part of the problem?

Is “introduction.txt” in the “scenes” folder?

Oh boy. So I found the txt file in the choice scripts folder, but all that’s within that folder is the title of my project. There are no other file folders to be found. I have no idea what happened. I’m going to try to redownload CSIDE and see if it fixes the problem because for some reason I have the application but nothing else that comes with it.

Yeah, this sounds like it’s your issue. “Introduction.txt” should be in web > mygame > scenes assuming you haven’t changed the name of anything after download.

4 Likes

Yup that was exactly it. I somehow did not download CSIDE correctly and therefore the scene did not actually exist. I’ve fixed it now, got the correct download with all the correct files. Now just need to re-add all the scenes!

Jeez. Thank you both for your assistance, it’s greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

No problem – I’m glad it worked out for you! (:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. If you want to reopen your WiP, contact the moderators.