English to Latin

I’m attempting to come up with a good name for a new game I started working on, and I’m having trouble finding a reliable translation of “Out of Time” to Latin. Google spat out “Ex Tempore”, but I keep seeing other definitions and translations for it and when I swap them in translate and swap them back I get something different than what I started with.

Any chance one of you knows Latin? lmao

It’s been a while since Latin class for me, but “ex tempore” looks about right, meaning literally “out of time” where “tempore” is ablative, if I remember rightly.

The weird thing is that the word becomes “extempore” in english, meaning stuff that comes “out of the time,” aka, spontaneously. So you have two different meanings of the word “out” being translated–out, as in “empty of” and out, as in “from out of.”

But my best guess is that it’s still “ex tempore” even with that weirdness. I’m looking forward to a real classicist explaining why that’s not the right way to say it!

Well, I’m not a classicist, but I’ll contribute what I can here :stuck_out_tongue: I have a good Latin dictionary.

I believe that would indeed be the literal translation… in the sense of away from time, or coming out of time… and with a lot of other meanings, like “after time”. Also could mean “because of time.” Tempus, in addition to meaning time, can mean occasion, or opportunity… so “ex tempore” basically comes from the meanings “right after the occasion”… that is, doing something right away, without prep.

So the question for your translation is what exactly do you mean by “out of time”? Do you mean “having run out of time?” Do you mean “having emerged from out of time”? Or what, precisely?

The basis of the story is that your character comes to exist out of time in a way.

Outside of time, would you say? :thinking: My impression… and again, I’m not a classicist, I’m going off my Latin dictionary and memories of Latin class… is that “ex” would mean more like “out from.” So maybe the word “extra” would be good… that’s “outside of,” and even “beyond” and “free from.” Which sounds like it might be what you’re going for. That would be “extra tempus.”

There are, however, additional words for time, and I’m not sure if any of them might have better connotations for your purposes. “Tempus” is looking like it might be used more for instances of time rather than big eras, though it can refer to an age as well, so I’m not sure. Aetas is another word, which seems to refer to times of life, and eras… “extra aetatem” would mean “outside of an era”… that phrase does have results on google, but I’m not able to tell how it’s being used in context, there. That might fit the meaning for your purposes. “Aeternitas” is a related word, meaning “eternity,” hence “extra aeternitatem”=“outside eternity.” “Aevum” is another word to consider… it can also refer to eras of time, time in general, and eternity, and apparently took on connotations in medieval Christianity to refer to the time between human time and eternity, which would be the timeframe of angels… so if you’d like to think of your character as existing outside of eternal time, in a rather poetic way, maybe you would want “extra aevum” as your translation.

I’d be happy to be corrected by anyone with more knowledge on the subject… this was a fun research project, anyway :grin:

Or “ultra” for getting at the idea of going beyond time.

Oooh, that’s a good thought as well. So, “ultra” takes accusative, same as “extra,” meaning that you could use all the same examples I gave with “extra,” just by replacing the word with “ultra,” without needing further change. “Ultra aevum,” for example, which might be my favorite :grin:

Also, happy cake day, @Gower :smile::tada: