Otome Games

Thanks “Where we lay our scene” seems to be about a cute male model to boot, thanks.

Tell me if it’s good, hahah! ^^

Heirs and Graces will mostly likely see a release at the end of this month. I know it has already been approved for Steam, though Winter Wolves will probably wait until after Steam’s summer sale.

I know Queen of Thieves will be coming out before too much longer.

I hope to get all the writing on Love Bites done by September, so that could be another game. Depending on what happens, I may have to finish up Nicole Yuri.

4 Likes

There’s always http://games.renpy.org/category/BxB and you can do searches on https://vndb.org (but I’m sure you already know that). And http://fuckyeahrenpy.tumblr.com/tagged/bxb

I played Sacred Sand, it’s one of the few bxb visual novels I’ve played. I’ve tried others but I generally just don’t like them so much. I prefer the sorts of games Choice of Games make.

I own Coming Out On Top but it’s not really a genre that appeals to me, and I still haven’t played it.

I’d love to see a game like Seven Kingdoms with the option of a male protagonist.

2 Likes

I may be working on something like that in the future, but it will happen after I get a couple other projects finished. However, it would definitely be in the vein, at least skill wise, of LLTQ or 7KKP.

4 Likes

Vaguely (VAGUELY) similar to Seven Kingdoms is Queens Crown, played it yesterday from Itch.io, it looks really good, just the demo so far, but also about political intrigue, and you are able to choose your own personality, and there may be the option for a customizable MC in the future…

Just seems Female MC het though.

5 Likes

I’m going to have a look at that.

One of the things I really liked about Seven Kingdoms, is the same-sex relationships. It’s one of the things I like about Hanako Games too. Which I loved about Solstice. And Winter Wolves can be good about it.

2 Likes

Maybe same sex will happen in the future of that game? I don’t know, but your lady in waiting is adorable… :3

(But I still like the foreign diplomat the best. He’s scrummy)

Yeah, the same-sex relationships option is something I appreciate, but in 7KPP, I just found myself not enjoying my options there too much. ^^;

Winter wolves… I really liked the girl in C14, (can’t remember her name, argh) and I loved how they worked with the language barrier- that was completely adorable. Problem with Winter Wolves is that I tend to dislike the MC, because they’re such a Mary Sue. Loren did that okay, though, but then I disliked Loren for ripping off DAO…sigh Guess I’m never satisfied.

Um, found another cutesy game that will have both male and female options down the line and is very casual about it all, which is nice, but is no politicking, it’s very cute, just organizing a girls life and working at a cafe, that sort of thing.

3 Likes

You guys keep giving me games to try, I’m going to ignore my writing even more then I am :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, I’ve been waiting for 7 kingdoms to go live for a long time now. Of course, I can’t be satisfied with any character but the Princess character. Although I like both the Tomboy Duchess(Countess?) and the Imperial Court girl - but I wish she was a crown princess.

Does anyone really know when 7 kingdoms will be going live? The FAQ page has been saying “later this year” for a while now.

I know the Princess path is the hardest to do but that fits me to a t. I never pick the easiest way of doing things in life.

2 Likes

I normally played…um, flip, haven’t played it again in a while. Like, where your husband dies? Widowed countess, or something.

Then get with Zarad.

Yeeeya.

^^ But yeah, I like getting sassy with him. Allll the politicking, mwahahahaha.

2 Likes

I tried being the “black widow” arch-type with her but the bad boy prince (forget his name, lol) was from the same nation so we were not supposed to marry…

There is so many different possibilities. The author really does a great job and outside of CoG games I can see me replaying this one until the cows come home… just frustrated its not released yet. lol.

2 Likes

Ah, it’ll happen eventually. :slight_smile: Isn’t there a kickstarter? Maybe you should check it out to keep up with updates, and help make the game more awesome. ^^

1 Like

On the upside if Seven Kingdoms is received well @Aly said she might do a prequel thingy involving both a male and a female MC with their own routes (and unique perspectives) that occasionally intersect and of course same sex romance options for both (I hope).
I bet it’s gonna be centered around Revaire’s regime change.

Pity that just like with Wanted:Dragon there isn’t going to be a male protagonist option.
Honestly I think being the 12th son of the King would have worked just as well for Dragon (no chance of our would-be evil prince inheriting anything of note that far down the line of succession). As for Queen’s Crown, perhaps being the King’s bastard brother might have worked too, particularly if the bastard in question was recognised, but not expressly legitimised by either the late King or his father.

No date, but the development of week 5 (out of 7) has just been finished. Meaning there’s just two more weeks to go plus the bonus paths and hidden backgrounds, so all in all I think development is currently somewhere around 60%, or so.

2 Likes

Can we take the Seven Kingdoms discussion over to its own thread, since we can talk about it more indepth over there. .

https://forum.choiceofgames.com/t/seven-kingdoms-the-princess-problem

1 Like

Sure, feel free to use your mod powers to split off the sections of my post(s) you feel to belong there instead.

1 Like

I think an evil princess has a different feel to it than an evil Prince. I’m also, a little wary of suggesting games with female protagonists also provide a male protagonist, because it’s female protagonists that are generally in short supply. And I don’t want to see those awesome female characters diluted, or people to feel pushed into writing a story that doesn’t appeal to them.

Which isn’t to say I don’t still really want to see that sort of game.

I wish I could get writing again so I could try doing something myself. Alas, I just end up staring at the screen usually. I’ve been toying with two little ideas for the Poison contest, alas, I can’t find a proper viewpoint character.

5 Likes

As do I, your game with the cute dragoons and a more cartoon-y feel (at least that’s how I experienced it) was something really unique around here. Plus I think we could do with a few more lighthearted games around here.

Noted, on the other hand in the VN genre, excluding those harem games where a usually utterly bland and dull male mc has all the hottest women of the gameworld inexplicably falling for him, I think in VN’s, at least the quality ones, is the one gaming genre where female protagonists slightly outnumber their male counterparts. Of course the male protagonists that are allowed to be gay or even bisexual in VN’s is absolutely tiny in comparison (talking about games that are, or have been translated into English here, not all those Japanese and Korean BL and Yaoi things I don’t understand).
I do think it’s important to voice my own observations and desires too, in order to let (would-be) authors and game developers know that there exists even a tiny sliver of demand for those things.
I certainly didn’t mean to be pushy about it tho.

3 Likes

I suppose that differs per game itself. In a true ‘Role Playing Game’ I prefer to be female, because I was born genetically female, and identify as such, so I feel more immersed when playing as a female. But when there is a set story, and being male fits in with the tale being told, then I have no problem playing the male- but it has to make logical sense. If it’s an either/or, then the story can become convoluted.

Honestly, mainstream games (other than bioware) have way too much focus on a male protagonist, while otome games have way too much focus on a female protagonist.

I’d like to play a game where the character is female, for the sake of being female, and romance isn’t a part of the deal- which seems to be a running trope nowadays (other than, say, Lara Croft).

Still, I don’t complain often about not having a male protagonist, simply because it isn’t something that worries me. Most otome games cater to a female perspective, which is why I don’t see the need to have a male perspective as much as a female one.

I do understand the urge, and support it, but it is never a deal breaker for me.

And ninja’d by @idonotlikeusernames :slight_smile:

Yes, down with Mary Sues/Marty Stus!
I hate the whole ‘harem’ ideology that happens in the few male orientated VN (cyanide tea doesn’t do this, whoop whoop) where everyone bows down and worships Average McBoringson. It’s so fricking silly.

Same with girl orientated VNs often too though. MC is so blah and bleh because she’s supposed to have few characteristics in order for the reader to be able to instill their own personality…which leads to another argument:

How do you create a detailed, interesting MC without potentially alienating your audience?
While personality options are all right and good, are they really enough? Do they really create a persona for the character you’re playing?

1 Like

Oh no, I understand entirely. I think it’s an important discussion to have, and I certainly wasn’t saying “don’t say that” especially since I agree, and I did say similar, I think.

It’s just, I’ve seen it on these forums. Last time I checked, we’d absolutely no Hosted Games with female protagonists. Also, on WIPs those with female protagonists, the authors were more likely to be talked into allowing for a male protagonist too, and then losing interest in the project. So, I’m a tad worried, at least around here.

At the same time, I do love, that there are some games we have, with male protagonists, who can be gay/bi. Because that’s so important to me.

@Mim I’d say say cis-female, or assigned female at birth, or even just say female, as opposed to ‘genetically female’.

I love reading fiction with female protagonists. I love playing games with female protagonists. I prefer female protagonists to cis-het-male protagonists by and large. Queer content is also extremely important to me though. Having worlds where everyone’s straight, I find it a little more difficult to get immersed in them, or interested in them.

And I do love that Otome games are female focused. Here’s an area of the gaming world with female protagonists, and stories that interest women, and it’s wonderful. (More female game makers too than the general gaming community at large I’d guess.)

4 Likes

Yeowch.

Thankies. ^^ Still trying to toe my way around that one. Gender hasn’t become a talking-subject of much in my community, as a lot of people are still getting used to different sexualities here, so I’m never quite sure how to word such things. ^^

I suppose with otome though, that it frustrates me at times with a whole focus on romance- as if a woman doesn’t aspire to anything more, so on, and so forth. Where they come as a side plot, then it gets interesting- but that only seems to happen when politicking is the main plot.

What games have you guys seen, where the relationship isn’t as important (such as 7KPP, where you choose how much import the connection is), BUT, unlike 7KPP, Queen’s Crown, etc, the main premise isn’t all political subterfuge?

1 Like