England 1519, in the Court of Henry the VIII - Tudor Intrigue - Ready to begin testing?

Hi there. I’ve just finished the gameplay and I’m loving the story and the style of the game. I will keep an eye for your progress with interest and I can’t wait until the game is finished. Congratulations for your hard working!

1 Like

Thank you so much! I was going nuts over it.

1 Like

The general plan, tat will surely deviate… One climax will be the succession of Henry VIII where you make a play for power by taking the throne yourself or by proxy.
5 paths come to mind

1. Claim through marriage (head required);
  2. Claim as a protector of your child/niece/ or perhaps altruistically, one of Henry’s children;
  3. Straight up usurpation (in the style of Henry VII and many predecessors), like Buckingham supposedly attempted to do;
  4. A long-shot Parliamentarian/Barons/Proto-Democratic rebellion (130 years early), haven’t really lay any groundwork for that yet.
  5. Maybe a French, other foreign support, and religious upheaval could help.
    All of these can be combined I suppose.
2 Likes

I am wondering what would happen if the MC marries Mary Boleyn or Mary Tudor. Would we have a stronger claim to the throne, or would we be able to save Anne?
I am very interested in this game.

2 Likes

Historically, Henry’s succession was secure, it was Edward’s succession that led to a mess. Hence my above question on Jane Grey - how will we be able to support a Protestant candidate without giving Mary an in?

I like the combo of them!

1 Like

At this point, Queen Catherine is probably too old to bear any more children. However, will it be possible to help her and her daughter somehow, to avoid what befell them after Anne Boleyn’s ascendance?

1 Like

A happier ending for Catherine is a nice micro-deviation from history. I’ve been mulling over a Catherine/Mary subplot and inserting it among the early missions… I’m thinking acting as a Lady-in-Waiting for Catherine (choose to stay loyal or betray her) and perhaps as a tutor for Mary might work where you have an ongoing relationship with Mary influencing the type of potential monarch she will become.

3 Likes

Haven’t thought about Jane Grey specifically (mostly because she isn’t born in the 1520s). Historically there was a smooth succession in 1546… but I’ll sacrifice a little historical authenticity for the purposes of more dramatic, climax;

Timeline-wise, I’m condensing 1546-1558 as much as can plausibly be done so heads will role. So the succession of 1546 (at the latest, but perhaps sooner if triggered) will be contentious with multiple candidates (Mary will almost always be one) and no obvious candidates. Religion will be a key factor in the succession, and it will play a strong role in determining England’s future religion. Of course, I’m thinking as I’m writing and I might totally change it when I get there in a few months.

2 Likes

Alright. So Mary, any other kids of Henry (probably not an unhealthy Edward VI…), and if there isn’t a Protestant child of Henry, ten-year-old Jane Grey. Or a PC pulling an Oliver Cromwell, if you decide that that’s possible.

1 Like

Ah, I look forward to it. Playing as the sister, I never could take the option of attracting Henry’s attention; my character could not bring herself to do such a thing to Catherine. Actually, since my character does focus on virtue and sense primarily, I think she will make an ideal lady-in-waiting for Catherine and tutor for Mary. Furthermore, my character has focused on increasing her finances to a great degree, so if it comes to such, she could perhaps provide the necessary funds to ensure that Catherine and Mary at least live in suitably comfortable residences befitting their statuses as queen and princess.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’ve mentioned before that we can have children in the game, so I was just wondering whether gender would be a 50:50 chance? It would be really interesting if that were the case, especially if you were married to Henry, given his track record with dealing with his various wives’ “failure” to produce a son.

3 Likes

I’m leaning towards daughter first, especially if you marry the King early on. 1) Simplicity (it’ll be a heck of a lot more writing to incorporate a significant deviation). 2) It keeps the succession interesting for a “climax”. I haven’t set that in stone though.
However, fun idea, being Henry’s last wife, and being pregnant when he dies, and then having a male son, would create a bizarre succession crisis as the son is still legitimate even if the father is dead before birth. I’m making it contrived for maximum confusion with the succession. Having a healthy son would make for a boring climax.
If you don’t marry Henry, though, I think having a son is more likely as it creates fun possibilities of arranging a marriage with Mary or Elizabeth (very difficult to do given that English princesses should be marrying foreign royalty).

8 Likes

Yeah, it’ll be actually fun to try and deal with Henry’s possible anger at having another daughter. I’d be pretty excited for that, tbh.

do it I love the idea!!!

ı think it should be random. it would be more enjoyable

I think it depends on how many times our MC conceives. Make a boy guaranteed at least once. That being said I think random would be fun. Also is there a way to save Buckingham without Cromwell or Wolesly being suspicious?

You could even put in certain events about how difficult childbirth was in the Tudor era, maybe the strength stat could impact how easy/difficult childbirth is?

1 Like

Wow, I must really love this game that I am frequently posting on this thread. In the game there are a few times where you are appointed to convincing someone to grant Henry the annulment. Now I realize you need high skill to convince anyone but just so I don’t waste my time, is it possible to convince anyone who in real history didn’t want Henry to divorce Catherine like More or Gardiner to change their opinions?

1 Like

Yes it is possible… Right now, Thomas More is really strong advisor, if you are already friends with More and can convince him. I’ll tinker with that a bit. The logic is that More wants to serve his King and convince the Pope to simply treat Henry with same flexibility that he would a French monarch. Gardiner is generally a weaker candidate but if you have for some reason an antagonistic relationship with More and Wolsey, he is a stronger bet.

The repercussions of building up relations with these four will matter in the upcoming years when all of those four come under political pressure (somewhat hard-scripted).

3 Likes