England 1519, in the Court of Henry the VIII - Tudor Intrigue - Ready to begin testing?

Thomas Is going to be executed for the crime of messing up the coding stream.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I look forward to it.

There is one other thing I am curious about. If the character hosts the Duke of Norfolk, the younger brother Edward tells them what he has learned about the…activities occurring in the Howard household. If the character knows about such and agrees to help Norfolk with convincing Henry to take Catherine Howard as his next wife instead of Anne, I imagine the character might discreetly broach the subject with Norfolk, to warn him about the potential scandal that could ensue regarding Catherine Howard.

4 Likes

On the Catherine Howard Stream and Pacing:

The original-seeded plan is to have your younger brother Edward be one of Catherine Howard’s lovers… I’m not sure if I’ll fully develop that stream on the Beta. Right now I really want to finish to the climax by the end of November and then spend three weeks on the climax for a Beta by December 21 (no promises).

I’ve learned enough about writing this over the past year to see a potential time-suck… If I tinker too much on Catherine Howard, I fear I’ll miss my deadlines so I got a very simple plan for the Cat Howard missions of a A) Cat Howard lives or Dis annd B) this is to your advantage or disadvantage (I assume plenty of MC’s will have altered history so much that Cat Howard hasn’t even become Queen).

I hope once I get a full completed story, I can go back and fill-in a more developed Catherine Howard story with a juicy, but optional scandal, you can get sucked into.

4 Likes

@jry
Can we marry Mary (daughter of Henry VIII) to Edward if we become the second queen and bear a son?

3 Likes

In the works. It’s an idea that has crossed my mind; I haven’t decided how to implement and script it.
Option 1:
Towards the end of the climax, you can consolidate your victory by marrying; A) your brother Edward, B) all of Henry’s children including Mary Tudor; C) your own children, nieces, or nephews. Loosely, it would work the same way Henry VII married Elizabeth of York to solidify his victory at the end of the War of the Roses.
Option 2… Maybe there will be some backdoor ways to marry but that’s a back-burner idea because it will complicate the climax.

1 Like

@jry
Could you (as queen) gently suggest to Henry (after you have a son) that the best way to secure the succession of his son is to marry Mary to your close relative (who wouldn’t uphold her claim out of family loyalty)?

1 Like

There is some barrier caused by incest… although Mary did eventually marry one of her cousins, so its probably a surmountable barrier.

1 Like

Wouldn’t the MC and Henry be second cousins as well, assuming direct descent from Edmund of Rutland?

I would agree with putting the Catherine Howard plotline on the backburner since she was only Queen for a year, and as you’ve mentioned, the political landscape has probably changed far too much. Currently I assume an Anne Boleyn/equivalent and Jame Seymour/equivalent are going to happen regardless?

Another thing to point out was that as a male MC I completely forgot about my younger brother, who I’ve never re-encountered in any of my playthroughs.

Spotted some typos
[On the inheritance law case when selecting JPs]

Perhaps you would be proud know that 450 years later, in a country that is no your own

Not your own?

[More in the Tower]

You are guided through the tower by armed guards passing by cells where princes, martyrs, even kings had did

Died ?

[Execution of More]

To the end Thomas More would not recant his beliefs. He is killed is beheaded. On the day he is beheaded…

He is to be killed by beheading ?

[Second child: When you decide to input a custom name, it ends up as]

You are thrilled with little null and love to watch she play with [inputted child’s name]

[Choosing to stay out of the King’s fourth marriage as a male MC]

Instead you focus on arranging a marriage of your conspicuously unmarried sister.

There are many eligible lords at court that would love to marry an Earl.

Daughter/sister of an Earl?

[Choosing to assist Cromwell’s reforms instead of ousting him]
Option: Oversea military reforms

[Climax]
A couple of times “null” comes up e.g. “null lords” when supporting Princess Mary. The other opponents were Protestants and the Scots.

3 Likes

Quite Ironic…

5 Likes

In the first one, it’d be “heart”, yet you wrote “hear”, and the weird punctuation marks right after/before the quotes.

In the second one should be “It is always” not “It always”, and it should be “will chafe in a” not “chafe is a”.

As a general rule, you could manage to use more contractions, and more commas and similar marks, instead of pure periods.

(I’d also like to help you research and make the game better. Could I message you privately for such purposes?)

2 Likes

I was thinking, if we wanted to curb the power of the King and his royal prerogative, could we not use judicial review as a form to restrict the King. Maybe as a Justice, there would be a case where someone claims that the king’s action were unlawful and our decision might influence future courts on how to behave when dealing with the King.

4 Likes

I like that idea. I recall reading some commentary of those conflicts although full-blown judicial review would be a very radical notion… I recall reading some debate about whether the execution of Thomas More was perfectly within judicial and procedural norms of the time.

2 Likes

I imagine it would be extremely difficult, but extremely rewarding as a result. As far as I recall More’s trial was extremely controversial and probably a kangaroo court. A series of blatant kangaroo courts could end up triggering it. The problem is, however, that the King is the ultimate legal authority (with the Act of Supremacy I think the King is also the ultimate legal authority in Ecclesiastical courts too), and trying something so audacious would be dangerous in the extreme: mess up a bit and you’ll see yourself in the Tower…

I imagine one would also need extreme support from the Lords or Commons or both, since one would probably be part of a bench which would have to be unanimous for it to be watertight, and for the decision to have enough support that the King can’t move against those deciding it for fear of outrage. This would be hard, since those fellow peers (probably noblemen) would want to act as the King wills if Henry’s eye is on them.

Not that it wouldn’t be great to see Henry VIII rant and rave without being able to do anything about it.

The more obvious and arguably less life-threatening ways of curbing Royal power would be through limiting funds (via Parliament) or the machinery of Government (via Privy Council or establishing a proto Civil Service). Both of those are tenuous too, but they’re larger bodies so the risk of one’s head being detached from one’s body would be arguably lessened.

Of course the King will still be able to punish those against him without removing their heads from their bodies or banishing them court. He is still capable of distributing sinecures and offices, as well as creating and stripping titles and estates. Those things aren’t going away for a few hundred years, since everyone wants them.

4 Likes

I experienced the optional scandal with Catherine Howard and Edward. I tried speaking with Catherine Howard and Norfolk first, though it ended in execution. The correct choice was to speak with Edward to protect him.

Of course, it resulted in another mess with the birth of Catherine Howard’s son, thought to be the second prince, in actuality the son of the character’s brother.

It resulted in an error at the end where my character was supporting the second Henry instead of Mary. Hm, when the time for the succession struggle comes, I hope Norfolk does not side against me. He would want his grand-nephew on the throne, but if he knew his grand-nephew was not actually the king’s, simply keeping silent about it, perhaps he will instead help my character, who will ever only support Mary.

1 Like

@jry

you are telling me this is only alpha and not even beta ?

When do you see it fully completed if i may ask because you doe massivbe ammount of work on it

1 Like

I might not be using the terms ‘alpha’ and ‘beta correctly’…
It will be fully playable soonish?- I’m aiming for December 21 to have a full game, 1519 to the late 1540s. It should be ‘playable’ with an ending. Might not make it but I like setting a goal.
Some time in early 2018 I will finish editing, re-balancing, add a tiny amount of content here-and-there.

2 Likes

Spotted some errors:

Just a comment, but when selecting “Richard” as your name as the male MC, the text says Richard is a name that was shared by many of your ancestors including your great-grandfather, Richard III, Duke of York. Perhaps it would be clearer to make it Richard, 3rd Duke of York to avoid confusion with Richard III of England, who is mentioned in the text as “Richard the Third” (when visiting More in the Tower) and Richard III (when seizing power in a palace coup)

When visiting the mistress of the French ambassador:

England must not sit idly while the Hapsburgs of Spain and Austria take control of all of Christiandom

Christendom?

When at Oxford and talking to Hobbes

He looks at guiltily and you confront him

Missing “you” between at and guility?

"If by heresy you mean Lutheran… than no

Then?

Inviting Marie Tudor when hosting

Marie Tudor, the King’s sister, accepts and brings her brother the King along to

Her brother, the King, along too?

(I imagine there was also probably a lot of panicking when the King’s sister decides to bring the King along with no notice)

Anglo-Dutch Baltic Company

The Hansetic league of northern Germany has long dominated the trade of the Baltic

Hanseatic

1524 Passive colonial venture/New Rutland:

The colony has not am de a profit yet

made a

When in Ireland, it says

it is frankly dangerous for an English noble like you to walk unguarded outside the region near Dublin

Since that can be construed as the entirety of Ireland, perhaps something like:

it is frankly dangerous for an English noble like you to walk unguarded in Ireland outside the Pale, the heart of English power in Ireland centred around Dublin

Inviting the Duke of Norfolk over

“Ironic coming from him! You should here what his nieces are getting up to in private at the Howard manor.”

hear what his nieces

I think the Howards’ estate was at Kenninghall, so you could use that instead

Jousting

With the bit about buying an improved horse an armour, it says that it might be of use in modern warfare. Since tournament armour was considerably heavier than practical on the field, perhaps something on the lines of “while tournament armour is inappropriate on the modern battlefield, you will be able to make connections with top-class armourers who can provide you with harnesses that wouldn’t be.”

The second round is easier: You easily unhorse Sir Percy

Lord Percy, I assume?

If you are married to Marie Tudor, in 1534 you are addressed as a “Nobel [sic] of Unique Influence”. Also, it says that “You will be able to chose [sic] two of the below options. So far, you have chosen [Number]”

Having two ventures:

[I]“I have some good news and bad news about the expeditions you have financed. The good news is that the your most prized business is flourishing but the other venture has run into trouble.”

The [I] shows up in the text and is not italicised

Having married Marie Tudor, in the climax you can put your son on the throne, but it comes up as

Because you have married Marie Tudor, your son null is a contender for the throne. Of course, you, as the child’s guardian, would be the key decision-maker in this.
My son null should be the next king of England!"

Also, hooray for Wars of the Roses 2: Electric Boogaloo, and the obligatory potential for convoluted intermarriage that can occur from that.

2 Likes

You gave me and idea on the back-back-burner will have different combinations of Roses that you can use for your dynasty. I don’t know how to script choosing images at the moment but I’m sure I could get 10 different Rose options.

3 Likes

I can imagine the horrific amount of confusion that could potentially arise from that (which would be natural, since at Barnet the Lancastrians confused the de Vere star for the Yorkist sunne in splendour). York would probably be an obvious one, followed by a Tudor rose (why not, if Richard is married to Marie Tudor or Joan is married to Henry). A combined Tudor/York rose (York ascendant), the Yellow Rose (symbol of Edward I, gotta emphasise that Royal lineage without Yorkist associations as heir general)…

It’ll probably go out of hand at one point…

Richard, 1st Duke of Rutland’s guide to having a CK2 Game happen at your Royal Court and confuse future history students:

1. Possess the far-stronger claim to the English Throne than the incumbent King, and be heir general and heir male to the English Throne
  2. Have your parents survive Henry VII’s reign and be delegitimised through a flimsy Act of Parliament
  3. Power game and min-max
  4. Marry the King’s younger sister, widow of the King of France
  5. Marry your younger brother to the King’s eldest daughter
  6. Marry your sister to the King
  7. Have the following claimants to the throne:
  • Richard Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Rutland [you]
  • Marie Tudor, Dowager Queen of France [your wife and second cousin]
  • Joan Plantagenet, Queen of England [your sister]
  • Lord Edward Plantagenet m. Mary Tudor [your brother]
  • Henry FitzRoy, son of Henry VIII and Elizabeth Blount [your nephew]
  • Mary Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon m. Lord Edward of Rutland [your sister-in-law and niece]
  • Elizabeth Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn [your niece]
  • Edward Tudor, son of Henry VIII and Jane Seymour [your nephew]
  • Jane Tudor, daughter of Henry VIII and Joan of Rutland [your niece in at least two ways]
  • Arthur Plantagenet, son of Richard of Rutland and Marie Tudor [your son]
  • Edith Plantagenet, daughter of Richard of Rutland and Marie Tudor [your daughter]
  1. Become extremely confused about the amount of intermarriage that has “accidentally” happened
  2. Figure out how to stop a civil war breaking out when Henry VIII is dead
  3. Figure out how to stop a civil war breaking out when you’re dead
  4. Attempt to figure out what to call your dynasty and its symbol once you’ve figured out the above
  5. Press claims on everything
  6. ???
  7. Profit?

Also, if More becomes Lord Chancellor and is promptly removed, then Audley immediately becomes Lord Chancellor. If the player chooses to do so, the Earl of Rutland can succeed Wolsey by deposing him or after his death, but not if More becomes Lord Chancellor and is then deposed by event. Perhaps this should also be an option for Rutland to become Lord Chancellor?

If the male MC has a daughter as his first child with Marie Tudor, this comes up:

While having a son is always preferred, there is a benefit for you and your husband only having a daughter.

As Lord Chancellor, the male MC gets this option on choosing to Meet with Religious Leaders when Hosting Dinners in 1545:

Take a principled stance. Refuse to intervene in matters of the Church as it would be improper for a Queen, and perhaps anyone other than the King, to do so.

Perhaps it would also be nice to have a reference to being Cranmer’s classmate at Cambridge if the MC went to Cambridge then supporting him for the post of Archbishop of Canterbury?

6 Likes

“Mrs.Brown, why does it seem as though king/queen Richard/Joan perfectly planned their every political and marital move ever since they were like 19, all the way to when they were almost 50?”

5 Likes