Enforcers of Magic : Hope [THREAD MOVED]

And would he be a viable romance? Or would his sexuality just be used as a way to beat him?

2 Likes

Having characters with preferences can be nice as long as itā€™s not all one-sided. If all the romance options are largely straight and none gay, that feels imbalanced.

Itā€™ll be easier to talk specifics when we know more about the particular characters, though :slight_smile:

You could just make it so thereā€™s a limited number of possible romances per playthrough :thinking:

Maybe like love triangle possible with A&B or C&D or A&D, but you just donā€™t write other possibilities. Something prevents those. So itā€™s not locked based on genders but on specific individuals. Which could also work if characters have specific orientations like in @ParrotWatcherā€™s example, which would also reduce the number of possible love triangles.

This is where the difference comes in between restricting the charactersā€™ choices, which Iā€™d argue against, and writing different reactions from other people, which can make more sense :slight_smile: the former reduces the playerā€™s control while the latter does not.

That could be a good example which could be quite fun to see :smiley: provided there are gay characters who arenā€™t villains, of course :stuck_out_tongue:

Not sure who Beth is, but the first part is true :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Iā€™m off to bed so no more responses from me for a while.)

2 Likes

Im sorry I think i missed my pointā€¦
on the context of roleplay yes I do try to aim to make other characters react differently depending on the PC. :grin:

But im asking more on the context of gameplay. Making females have more of an edge in something and vice versa for male pcs. I think it would make a more dynamic playthrough?

What do you think? :neutral_face:

No he would not be open for romance. Though im open to the idea that the villain is open for romanceā€¦ :neutral_face:

Thanks for mentioning that. It is very interesting.

However I dont really want to limit the PC in anyway. So if say the pc is gay. And they wanna date a straight guy because they like the character then I wanna make it possible. Just harder.

I think you shouldnā€™t stereotype genders ā€¦ each MC is an individual. A more dynamic playthrough would be achieved by customization of the MC into a unique entity.

If you have not yet played Zombie Exodus or its new sequel, Safe Haven, you should. It embodies replayability because the MC is so customizable - and the story itself is different on choices you make to customize your MC. A soldier MC has different text then a bank robber MC, just to cite one example.

3 Likes

Soā€¦ youā€™re fine with romancing a villain, but not romancing a gay villain?

But didnā€™t you just say you werenā€™t giving any gay romances? :confused:

3 Likes

Wow thanks for citing that example.

Off to research I go! :smile:

But they are very complex, code-heavy games. For a first-time author, Iā€™d suggest trying something smaller-scale.

2 Likes

Im sorry im so lost right now hahaha :joy:

I keep mixing you up with TSSL as you both write very in-depth criticisms. Haha :grin:

I think I replied to you saying that I wanted to provide bisexual romance, but if it becomes too hard i might consider genderlocking it?

So my original aim is still freedom for playersā€¦ im just seeing how far i can goā€¦ :neutral_face:

3 Likes

I agree - yet this is exactly the level that @Tayato is shooting for now.

See - this would be limiting @Tayatoā€™s ambition at the starterā€™s mark ā€¦ let him/her at least try. If they need to go simpler after trying, so be it. At least that is the route I took myself with Helvetii - a very complicated and ambitious project that I began with :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Donā€™t worry - they get each other mixed up all the time too. Often they complete each othersā€™ posts.

5 Likes

Awwwwwwā€¦

Hahahaha. Thats so sweet :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Well, heā€™s the cute one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would suggest finding other ways to simplify it (e.g. only specific love triangles are available.) That way, you can keep some love triangles without basically denying the existence of an entire minority.

Fair enough. Go for it, @Tayato!

4 Likes

btw, as for the elemental stats bug,

My aim is to make Lightning a sort of harder to get element. something rare.
And although the possibility to getting all the elements for specific genders are possible,
Iā€™d like to implement a small change that would make it harder for Males to get a certain element,
and vice versa.

Which im failing miserably at :joy:

I plan to make lightning a very special element,
one that is not easy to get but still possible.

And when you do get it, you get a bit of a different reaction from other characters
But other than this, the element you have only effects your playstyle and doesnā€™t
mean that youā€™ll get an unfair advantage over the other elements.

Yuri is love!

Interesting start and so far I do like what I am seeing XD.

4 Likes

Btw does anyone know how to set achievements?

Iā€™d like to put up achievements when certain things happenā€¦

Though it is a minor detail, and will be implemented very late in the development process.

Use the *achievement command in start-up and put the trigger in the place you want it to fire at.

The Wiki should help you here: *achievement command Wiki page

2 Likes

Everybody keeps misspelling ā€œyaoiā€ā€¦

Basically, at the start, you have something like:

*achievement achname visible 20 Achievement Name
    Description before achieved.
    Description after achieved.

or

*achievement achname hidden 20 Achievement Name
    hidden
    Description after achieved.

The number doesnā€™t have to be 20, you should put something proportional to the achievementā€™s difficulty there. The name (ā€œAchievement Nameā€) and tag (ā€œachnameā€) should be different for each achievement.

Then when you want to award the achievement, use: *achieve achname, using the appropriate tag.

4 Likes