Enforcers of Magic : Hope [THREAD MOVED]

I see a big potential in this work. I’m looking forward to see more of it. But even after I’ve chosen my name it didn’t appear on the status screen.

1 Like

Has great potential so far! The only mistake I noticed was when you spelled of course as ofcourse when you choose your name.

1 Like

Im pretty sure you can be a psycho puppy hater. If I remember correctly you can say you would kick the puppy till it turns inside out or its insides fall out or something.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing that out. That is a very interesting point to think about. If there is a large market for bisexual PCs I might strongly consider it… :laughing:

Hmmm. I think that not genderlocking romances will provide a coding nightmare in itself though :sob:

Say for example I would like to create a specific scenario where the PC decides to date a girl called Jess. But is also either two-timing her or cheating on her with his bestfriend Bob. And the PC has either failed to make the necessary preparations, or has gone down a path that leads to; A) Jess/Bob finds out that PC is actually straight/gay or bi and is distressed, B) Jess/Bob loves PC so much that they are willing to still accept him (thereby starting a path towards owning a harem of guys+girls :joy:) or C) Jess’ bestfriend Anna is actually also in-love with PC (naturally coz you’ve been flirting with everyone you sleaze :joy:) and decides to go blackmail you with her newfound knowledge of your two-timing or cheating, and asks you to secretely date her as well.

I really wanna create scenarios like this but its gonna be a challenge in itself…

Whereas if its genderlocked romance, Then Bob will be simply out of the picture. Making the scenario much simpler. And only focused on the girls.

But again this is still a WIP. If I find that Genderlocked romance is a no go. Then Ill go back to the original aim of the game.

1 Like

Oh noo! That is a big problem.:cold_sweat:

Is it alright if I asked about the steps that you took to achieve this error/bug?

Hahaha
Thnakyou for your comments on the game. It really means alot.

1)I’ll be honest, I’m a big fan on the realistic sometimes gory aspect of gaming. Sometimes I like the idea of hitting the players in the face with the cold harsh truth like; giving them the choice to kill a puppy.

But if I’m not wrong I think choice of games don’t allow this? Im not entirely sure… and I wanted this to be a more casual game thats for everyone to play (even the title sounds childish). I think it won’t bode well if I allow something as evil and controversial as that in. So yea… but its still a WIP. So who knows :joy:

That sounds less like a challenge with gender-locked romance and more like a challenge with love triangles. These are separate issues. You’d have the same sort of multiplicity of possible reactions by allowing a male PC to go after, say, both Jess and Anna at the same time. Rather than restrict it all by gender, you could find other ways to contain which combinations are possible, perhaps just assuming that some characters won’t be romanceable if they already know the main character’s dating someone else, for example.

If your aim is to make the scenario simpler and only focus on a subset of people, you could do this just by… focusing on a smaller number of romances. Really, coding extra differences between boys and girls is adding on to your workload because you’ll have a whole separate set of male romance drama and female romance drama rather than being able to write them together as a whole.

I don’t want to sound harsh, but this is an important point to make: It feels very insulting to gay players to effectively be told “you can play however you like, pursue any path you want” and then have the door closed in our faces.

3 Likes

Im still very new to the program so bear with me senpai.
Don’t get upset :confounded: :joy: hahaha.

Joking aside, As I said. I love the idea of having the PC do whatever he/she likes. And Im still very new to the program so I apologize If I show a lack of understanding with it :sweat: … I thought it would be harder if there were more romantic options available. (E.g. Guys can date both genders vs. Guys that can only date the females)…if anyone was offended then i apologize, but the intro was meant to reflect that kinda freedom that I hoped to accomplish (PC being able to date both genders, or maybe even go beyond and date humanoid monster charas :joy:) But again. I may be ambitious, but its not gonna cut it if I only focus on not genderlocking romance, and content itself ends up sorta suffering…

Initial thoughts aside, I think you have persuaded me in not genderlocking it. I will play around a little and see how it turns out.

Though im still confused in the concept of genders its a complicated issue, I dont want to offend anyone but I do plan to make certain options available for when you play as a girl than when you play as a guy and vice versa. Just to add that nice touch of difference in gameplay (more reason to replay the game)

All in all, what do you think TSSL? :neutral_face:

1 Like

But what if you focus on genderlocking romance and the content ends up suffering? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You would still have to write the same number of romances; the only difference is that with genderlocking you have to add *if (gender = male) or *if (gender = female) at the start of them.

2 Likes

@Tayato has the option of doubling down on the romances - that certainly would provide more replayability. Given that people would play more then one gender.

Think of it: unique romances for each RO … more choices and more story :wink:

1 Like

Hmmm tbh Im not sure how its gonna end up…

but in my mind I just thought that itd be harder for ungenderlocked gameplay and managing its many and complex love triangles, rectangles, pentagons or etc. Hahaha.

Than opposed to say. Focusing on love triangles for only the females first (male pc), and then love triangles for the males (female pc).

Thank you for giving your thoughts on this matter.
It means a lot :grin:

Forgive me for my newbie noobness but what is RO…? :sweat_smile:

Newbie noobness - innocent and naive :smirk:

RO - romantic option

The people you are targeting for romances.

4 Likes

I’m not upset or offended :relaxed: this is just something I do feel strongly about so I wanted to be firm. I can tell you are trying your best and don’t mean any offense, which I do appreciate. If you’re worried about how to handle things, I’m here to help :slight_smile:

Where it comes to writing boy/girl differences in the game, I would argue that it’s important to ask yourself for each variation why you have them there. Where it ends up being “girls can’t do this” or “boys can’t do that,” that’s when I would find it more troubling, because characters end up being limited by something that wouldn’t actually logically limit them. When the experience varies due to other characters’ reactions, that feels less like you’re pushing the character in a gender-based direction, so that could make more sense.

I do think writing a whole lot of boy-girl difference would be giving yourself a lot of extra coding work for less return on value than expanding different playthrough results based on more active choices.

Opinions vary a lot, though. I would recommend at least peeking at this thread: Preferability of "non gender segregation" world in CoG

Well, you could just have it so that a female pc has a choice between both the female love triangle options and the male ones, and a male pc also has a choice between both the female and male ones. Or, if you want to be more inclusive of bisexuality as well (which I do think would be nice), you could just focus on a few specific love triangles, and just not have other love triangles possible.

5 Likes

Potty!!! NO!!! XD

1 Like

A problem im struggling with bisexual pcs is that there wont be much of a point in replaying the game as a different gender since you can romance anyone in 1 playthrough. (Except for roleplay reasons ofc)

What do you think of a system where it would be harder to turn your straight guy friends into your lovers (if pc is male) but still possible, although harder when compared to if you played the game as a girl. and ofc vice versa for female pcs

Multiple triangles would make you a square. Just saying.

@Tayato - My advise is to develop the story independent of the romance to begin with. Romance and its particulars will reveal themselves to you as you write and you can then go through and branch from those points.

1 Like

Okay, so that would be more work… but otherwise you’d be ignoring the fact that, yes, non-straight people do exist. I guess one thing you could do would be to have exclusively non-straight characters, so if you’ve got six ROs, for example, Adam and Alice are straight, Ben and Beth are gay, and Charlie and Claire are bi. That way a male MC doesn’t have to worry about love triangles involving Adam or Beth, for example.

3 Likes

This is where I think you are missing a great opportunity. Your characters should be developed enough that they would react differently to different types of MC (main characters; the reader) and that is where your replayability would grow.

Most of the time you will find your story branching off on its own and you will get a lot more width in your writing then you are originally planning.

2 Likes

This may be strictly my opinion. But I would think that the world does differ when you are a girl or a boy does it not? How people view you at first, how enemies will perceive you. Etc

Say for example I can provide a villain that is straight/gay. Lets say he is gay. This would mean that male pcs can try to seduce the villain (with high enough charisma) whereas female pcs simply would have to beat the villain the old fashion way. (Through violence and force O yea+!)