Ender's Game

Just wanted to see who read the book from the forum. I’ve read it quite a while ago and I’ve been a Sci-Fi addict ever since. I hope the movie will live up to the success the saga had, seeing as there are so few movies that have properly reenacted the book upon which they’re based.

Yes. While ya’re at it, read Wyrms.

I’ve been meaning to read them for a while now but I didn’t have the free time to do so. Thanks for the tip :smiley:

Orson Scott Card is a homophobic bigot. I for one will not be watching anything that provides him with money.

@Fairy

Hey, no one is perfect. If you want to get to that, you should ask the people who enjoy Alice in Wonderland to refrain from reading the works of a pedophile.

The important thing is to judge the book, not the author. Sure, some ideas may be passed on into the books, but in his case I don’t think I ever read a homophobic line in all 9 books (I don’t really remember how many books there are currently in the saga, so I may be wrong with the number of books. Point is, there are a lot of them). Did you actually read the books? I’m not blaming you for saying what you said about him, I don’t like him for that either, but when people tend to name a book a bestseller, especially with the author being how he is, something must be good about that book.

@Desanion I haven’t read the books. I didn’t mean to invalidate your own love of them. I know that there’s a lot of people who’re torn over the message of the book and that it seems directly contrary to the author’s own personal beliefs. And it’s a personal choice to decide whether the author’s own politics is more important than the message the book gets across.

I won’t do anything that puts money into his pocket and helps him fund his bigotry and discrimination.

As for Alice in Wonderland, firstly, Lewis Carrol is no longer alive to directly benefit from any purchases of the book. Although you do have a point.

No worries, I understand where you’re coming from and I respect your opinion.

By the way, I don’t even know if he gets any profit from the movies, though that is probably true. Still, that doesn’t mean you can’t read the book(s). I’m sure you can find someone who can borrow you some of his books if you don’t want to give the author profit, because the story is worth reading.

I’ve so many books on my to read list that I’d rather not spend it reading his work. However I do understand that the books mean a lot to some people, especially the first one.

He does benefit from the movie, he’s co-producer. I’m not up to googling the specifics of whatever deal he made over the movie rights though, but even say he gave them away for free (which he didn’t) if the movie proves popular enough then undoubtedly there will be a sequel, which he’ll get yet more money for.

I was rather young when I read Ender’s Game and loved it, and then I got bored with the series two or three books afterward. So I never finished the series. In retrospect, now that I think about it, Ender comes across as something of a Marty Stu.

That’s true, he seems unbelievably smart. But coming from a kid who lives in the future and seeing that the main point of the book was to get the brightest kids they could find on Earth, people tend to overlook that.

Bean seemed more unbelievable with his intelligence, but that got explained with the genetic engineering work in Ender’s Shadow.

Oh man Ender’s Game, this is going to be so cool to watch.

Well, personally, I didn’t read the series but read the short story instead, but it’s still really awesome.

It looks amazing, so I’m going to be looking forward to this~

@Desanion Yep, I agree. The story always managed to find some way to justify its more far-fetched elements, and I remember it fondly. I will no doubt see the film, for nostalgia as much as anything else.

@FairyGodFeather

Orson Scott Card IS a homophobic bigot, but the hordes of people who have jobs because of this project and the actors who are making a living (including the hundreds of extras getting $10 an hour to feed their kids with) probably aren’t. OSC benefits, but so do they, and there are a lot more of them than there are of him.

Are they enabling the financial success of a man who called for violent insurrection in protest of homosexuals getting basic human rights? Yes. Then again, by upholding the existence of a free and democratic society, we’re allowing people like OSC to advocate their (rather scary) views in the first place. Human society is built on trade-offs, and I personally do not see the marginal inconvenience of one (admittedly, very eloquent) homophobe as fair trade for the well-being and livelihood of hundreds of set builders, film crew, casting directors, extras and speaking actors, among others.

Millions of adolescents (myself included) read the book and didn’t grow up to be raging homophobes. I must then assume that the original text must not be tainted by its author’s personal views. I will expect the film to do the same, but I will be judging it on its merits as a piece of entertainment and art, not on the political views of its author.

It is erroneous to suggest that if they weren’t working on Ender’s Game they wouldn’t be working on any project.

I never stated that reading the books would turn people into bigots.

@FairyGodfeather
Personal experience here (so take it with a grain of salt), but I know quite a few actors who have problems finding work over here (and I live just outside of Vancouver of all places). It’s also erroneous to suggest that they WOULD likely have work if this film project didn’t exist.

If I’ve implied that you said that reading the books would turn people into bigots, then I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to. I was implying that OSC has segregated his own beliefs from the text of Ender’s Game well enough as not to turn the book into an ideological soapbox. If it was a reflection of the author’s personal views, I would certainly join you in condemning this adaptation and the original text itself.

It’s weird how a cool person saying, “I have too many other books to read!” makes me want to say, “Add mine to your list!”

I liked Ender’s Game when I was a kid but could never get into the sequels. I can’t be enthusiastic about the movie but part of that dates back to when Orson Scott Card panned Haley Joel Osmont as too weak looking for Ender and thought Jake Lloyd might be a good fit. The man did not seem to really be the same person who wrote Ender’s Game anymore.

I do have to comment that it’s funny that the books have an undertone of cultural acceptance and forgiveness of even the worst atrocities.

when is this coming out

@yk18909 thread has been inactive for over a month please do not comment on it as it will clutter the Home-page. Thanks.

@tk18909 November 1st.